• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda The Return of Bosses Returning As Common Enemies.

If you played the older Zelda (the first three) you will notice that one of the early bosses you defeat in previous Zeldas would come back in later dungeons as common enemies. In the original Legend of Zelda, you fought all the bosses again at one point (except for two including Ganon). In Adventure of Link, it does it once with one of the bosses (can't remember the name). In a Link to the Past, you get to fight previous bosses you originally fought in the Light World in the Ganon's Tower. i found all that to be a great touch to the series as it showed how much you progress, but not only that, seeing them return as common enemies made the dungeons a little more challenging.

This would've benefited games such as Ocarina of Time with having to battle multiple Queen Gohmas in perhaps Or battling Two Marinades or Morphas. Or maybe multiple Phantom Ganons.

But in previous games, we saw them return as mini bosses, i know this may be asking a lot but it would be nice to see them return as more common then that and if they had to be minibosses return even stronger.

Salem

SICK
I think it's interesting, specially sense a lot of the bosses from the 3D games require a specific weapon to be defeated and it will help make that item or weapon be more relevant.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I think this was a way to artificially inject a feeling of progression and victory into the game; as in, what was once a huge, epic battle is now nothing to you, it's just a normal fight. Like how in an RPG you can crush something you had trouble with earlier once you're higher level, this was a way of doing it without stats or abilities, and I actually quite liked it too. Devil May Cry did it where you'd get mini versions of bosses as normal enemies and they tended to still be quite challenging, but it was a good feeling how you originally had trouble with one of these things and then end up fighting about 3 at a time.

As long as they fit into the narrative (why was this a Boss but these are normal enemies?) I'm all for it.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
It depends. Seeing progression is nice, but making these past bosses into common enemies kind of belittles the victory you had and felt great about. Like in SS, I disliked facing the scorpion boss a second time. It made the first time less significant.

I do, however, love the idea of making the player fight a few of the previous bosses in the last dungeon. I absolutely loved seeing the beginning bosses in ALTTP in the final dungeon. This I think should happen more but not fighting them regularly.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I could see this working, but it would have to be executed in the right manner, it wouldn't work with just any boss. Bosses like Koume and Kotake from OoT, or Bonga Bonga, it wouldn't work with Bosses like that who have a sort of backstory, they are one of a kind. Now Bosses like the King Dodango, that could work, I can imagine another giant lizard being out there somewere. It worked with Moldarach from SS, it was believable, and that's what would need to be done here to work.

I believe it could work well under certain circumstances. Do I want developers to throw these guys in willy-nilly? No - I think that's a form of laziness, in that they'd rather recycle a bunch of older bosses than add something original. Used smartly, though, it could be an excellent test of your skills and a way of admiring how far you've progressed. Think something like the Cave of Ordeals, but with some mini-bosses thrown in for good measure. Actually, come to think of it, they did that - Darknuts and Aerofols were pretty common in the lower levels.

Notice I said mini-bosses; the big bosses themselves may be harder to implement. In the older Zelda games, we were limited to pixels moving in a boxed room, making them easy to replicate later. These days, we're seeing humongous creatures burst from the ground and fill up the screen in unique arenas. Throwing those encounters in as is could easily be construed as lazy. But if we can get boss-like creatures in, say, the final dungeon, revived to pound Link into the pavement one last time, thrown in with some different arenas, rules, and perhaps enemies, I think we'd be in for a treat.

Chinagin

Son Just Died. Huh.
I think that'd be cool, but only if it actually fit, of course.

Like, it'd be awesome to fight two or three Queen Gohmas at once inside the Forest Temple, but fighting them inside the Water Temple would be kinda stupid. Also, I don't think it would've worked in a game like Majora's Mask, for obvious reasons, and they did reuse mini-bosses in that one (Wizzrobe, that annoying little *******).

And it'd have to be sparing too. Like, only do it once or twice with whatever boss. Or else it just feels kinda lazy, like they're running out of ideas and just re-using stuff for the sake of not having something already.

It depends. Seeing progression is nice, but making these past bosses into common enemies kind of belittles the victory you had and felt great about. Like in SS, I disliked facing the scorpion boss a second time. It made the first time less significant.
Not to me....in previous Zeldas it wasn't an issue...It wont make the previous battle anymore bad...it just means certain enemies were at boss level. and many other RPGs do it too. Now i'm not saying all the

I do, however, love the idea of making the player fight a few of the previous bosses in the last dungeon. I absolutely loved seeing the beginning bosses in ALTTP in the final dungeon. This I think should happen more but not fighting them regularly.

I liked that, but i also prefer it be even harder...otherwise whats the point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom