• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Rant Thread

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
My JROTC instructor said my group wasn't ready to do our presentation because two students were absent! They weren't just absent, though, they were busy doing state testing, a test that you LITERALLY cannot miss. So instead of being reasonable and saying, "Oh, we'll just do presentations next class!", the instructor decides to TAKE TEN POINTS OFF OUR GRADE! Those ten points matter, especially when HE has plans for our next two classes so we will most likely not be able to do presentations then either. So, the maximum I can get on this project is going to end up being a 70%.

Not only that, but he went on to insult my leadership skills (basically the main focus of the class) because I "didn't prepare for this". Like, WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO?! There was no way for those two students to be there! I'm so freakin mad, I worked my ass of to make sure the project was done (because, you know, EVERYONE loves to help with group projects) and it pisses me off that he just ignored the very legitimate reasons that not everyone was present.

I am very upset by this...:kawaii:

I think I may know why he did that (and tbh, I would do it too). That situation is perfect to teach the lesson that sometimes, you can't win. As a leader, you have to realize that if you try your very hardest, things still go wrong. And when that happens, you gotta stick your chin up, bite down on that bullet, and keep going, cause there's no way around it.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
he went on to insult my leadership skills (basically the main focus of the class) because I "didn't prepare for this". Like, WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO?!
WHY!? What, does he expect you to be able to see the future? What happens if a natural disaster happens? "Oh I'm going to take 10 points off, because you didn't prepare for this storm that no one knew about until recently." Some people are just ridiculous. In my 9th grade math class, if you miss one homework assignment you now have an F, it can be made up, but still, just for missing one thing!?"
get-the-right-answer-on-a-test-marked-wrong-the-work-was-done-differently-than-expected-meme-456.jpg

This describes about 90% of my middle school teachers.
Sometimes I question our education system.
Also, why is homework a thing? I didn't go to school for 7-8 hours every day just to spend more time devoted to school. Don't get me wrong, I know education is important, but there is a time and a place for everything. Also has there ever been multiple studies done that show any major benefits of homework?

That situation is perfect to teach the lesson that sometimes, you can't win.
I think by that age almost anyone should know that, but that's just what I think.

I have lost a lot of respect for some Bernie Sanders supporters today after they cancelled the Donald Trump rally in Chicago. These hundreds of people were holding a mixture of Bernie Sanders 2016 signs and some very derogatory comments about Trump like, "Show us your dick!". I find it extremely disturbing that supporters of the most honest and open candidate would try to censor an opposing candidate's speech. Then again, maybe I shouldn't be surprised because the political climate in Chicago is extremely corrupt, and this is the city that staged the infamous 1968 Democratic National Convention. I am extremely disappointed I did not get to see Trump speak. I think it helps people in both sides to gain a better understanding of all the people in the running. The people who decry Islamophobia, xenophobia, and racism are themselves the biggest silencers of free speech.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I have lost a lot of respect for some Bernie Sanders supporters today after they cancelled the Donald Trump rally in Chicago. These hundreds of people were holding a mixture of Bernie Sanders 2016 signs and some very derogatory comments about Trump like, "Show us your dick!". I find it extremely disturbing that supporters of the most honest and open candidate would try to censor an opposing candidate's speech. Then again, maybe I shouldn't be surprised because the political climate in Chicago is extremely corrupt, and this is the city that staged the infamous 1968 Democratic National Convention. I am extremely disappointed I did not get to see Trump speak. I think it helps people in both sides to gain a better understanding of all the people in the running. The people who decry Islamophobia, xenophobia, and racism are themselves the biggest silencers of free speech.
To be fair, to have a safe and peaceful protest is a recognition of their own freedom of speech. Furthermore, you have to admit that it was a terrible move to hold a republic convention within a largely liberal college within the Chicago area. People have a right to deny a person within private property, no matter what cause may be there.

However, I do think the messages shown was a bad and stupid move. That detracts from Sanders a ton. Trump is going to have a lot more firepower now, for he is now the "victim". I think a silent sit in would have conveyed such a message a lot better.

Dan

When people give you disapproval for wearing a second layer of clothing when they deem it's not that cold. It's not that cold for your body but I do not posses the same body as you.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
So they've just announced a sugar tax coming in 2 years time. What a bunch of ****.

Just because some obese mother****ers cant control their caloric intakes or because some people have bad parenting skills and give their kids all these sugary drinks, everyone including the innocent people who indulge in the occasional coca cola must now be punished for it.

I don't like sugary drinks so its not going to affect me but I think this is the wrong way to be going about things. The government say they are going to use the money they raise for sports in schools, but that probably wont even happen. We played enough damn sport in school when I was a lad, it was enough to put a person off exercise. It would be better to put the money towards education about sugar and proper nutrition.

If people want to inflict health problems on themselves then they should pay their own medical bills. There are many ailments which are completely out of the individuals hands and they should not be punished by having to pay for the treatment but A&E is always filled with ****ing drunks and the taxpayer is funding their free treatment. If they want to get drunk and get injured it is their choice and they should pay.

It is disgusting that the innocent need to foot the bills for people's bad choices. I think people should be free to make these choices but they should also have to deal with the consequences.

Agreed. As much as I'd like certain people, those with Trump rhethorics in particular, to just shut the **** up, silencing them only makes them stronger.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
So they've just announced a sugar tax coming in 2 years time. What a bunch of ****.

Just because some obese mother****ers cant control their caloric intakes or because some people have bad parenting skills and give their kids all these sugary drinks, everyone including the innocent people who indulge in the occasional coca cola must now be punished for it.

I don't like sugary drinks so its not going to affect me but I think this is the wrong way to be going about things. The government say they are going to use the money they raise for sports in schools, but that probably wont even happen. We played enough damn sport in school when I was a lad, it was enough to put a person off exercise. It would be better to put the money towards education about sugar and proper nutrition.

If people want to inflict health problems on themselves then they should pay their own medical bills. There are many ailments which are completely out of the individuals hands and they should not be punished by having to pay for the treatment but A&E is always filled with ****ing drunks and the taxpayer is funding their free treatment. If they want to get drunk and get injured it is their choice and they should pay.

It is disgusting that the innocent need to foot the bills for people's bad choices. I think people should be free to make these choices but they should also have to deal with the consequences.

While i can agree with this to a fair extent (I.E don't blame everyone for the fews stupidity not to mention the sports) I will say i was overweight so i am well familiar with the impulse control failure, my issue is the BS about putting the cash into sports, that never works that just pushes children to think negative of sports and solves nothing, hell half the time all we did was play football where if you weren't a good player you were left on the sidelines, i still remember the year where almost the whole class bar 4 didn't play due to them not being good, and the teacher still wanted us to play. I and the others got Written Up for it (note the capitals). But yeah if you can't control what you eat and more importantly what your kid can't eat you 1) need to pay for any weight related issues that takes you to the doctors or emergency room and 2) don't have kids just cuz you screwed your life up doesn't give the them the right to control the kids diet.

As for the Drunk issue i think either prohibition or serious taxes on booze should be in place, people constantly say Sugars the problem yet everyday i go to college i hear off the radio how a drunk driver has crashed on the motorway causing congestion for miles. Tax Booze more heavily and watch the problem disappear and start charging them for going to the medical profession for any booze related problems, it's the same problem as overweight people, booze is so freely available people binge on it and we end up with all sorts of crap.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
While i can agree with this to a fair extent (I.E don't blame everyone for the fews stupidity not to mention the sports) I will say i was overweight so i am well familiar with the impulse control failure, my issue is the BS about putting the cash into sports, that never works that just pushes children to think negative of sports and solves nothing, hell half the time all we did was play football where if you weren't a good player you were left on the sidelines, i still remember the year where almost the whole class bar 4 didn't play due to them not being good, and the teacher still wanted us to play. I and the others got Written Up for it (note the capitals). But yeah if you can't control what you eat and more importantly what your kid can't eat you 1) need to pay for any weight related issues that takes you to the doctors or emergency room and 2) don't have kids just cuz you screwed your life up doesn't give the them the right to control the kids diet.

As for the Drunk issue i think either prohibition or serious taxes on booze should be in place, people constantly say Sugars the problem yet everyday i go to college i hear off the radio how a drunk driver has crashed on the motorway causing congestion for miles. Tax Booze more heavily and watch the problem disappear and start charging them for going to the medical profession for any booze related problems, it's the same problem as overweight people, booze is so freely available people binge on it and we end up with all sorts of crap.

I forgot to put about how playing sports in school is enough to put many people off them. It certainly made me realise what I wasn't going to take up.

With the taxes again, it punishes the responsible which is why I don't think they need raising. Also you have got to take into account the fact that it doesnt stop people drinking who want to get drunk. They will turn to cheaper options or illegal brews, home brews or other drugs.

They have taxed cigarettes and whilst sales of tobacco in shops has declined. The sale of black market tobacco has surged which has created additional health problems because of the questionable nature of some of the tobacco.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
They will turn to cheaper options or illegal brews, home brews or other drugs.

They have taxed cigarettes and whilst sales of tobacco in shops has declined. The sale of black market tobacco has surged which has created additional health problems because of the questionable nature of some of the tobacco.
This has been the case with just about any type of ban, or limitation. If people want something bad enough they'll find a way to get it whether it's legal, or not. That's how it was in 1920's America with the ban on Alcohol, it's happening today with marijuana, although that's slowly changing. It'll happen with sugar too although to a lesser extent since sugar isn't being outright banned just taxed, but the idea is about the same, something being limited, or banned, people want it, so they use any means to get whatever it is. To me it seems like this tax is a type of negative reinforcement, which is never as good as positive reinforcement. Perhaps what could be done is to create a policy that incentivizes weight loss, and being healthy. Maybe weight loss companies, or whoever, can give discounts to people above a certain weight who buys their weight loss products to make them more accessible. Also to incentivize those companies to do such a thing the government could give them a tax cut, or some type of reward for promoting a health life style. Just something that doesn't punish people, but rather rewards them for doing something to become healthier.

This has been the case with just about any type of ban, or limitation. If people want something bad enough they'll find a way to get it whether it's legal, or not. That's how it was in 1920's America with the ban on Alcohol, it's happening today with marijuana, although that's slowly changing. It'll happen with sugar too although to a lesser extent since sugar isn't being outright banned just taxed, but the idea is about the same, something being limited, or banned, people want it, so they use any means to get whatever it is. To me it seems like this tax is a type of negative reinforcement, which is never as good as positive reinforcement. Perhaps what could be done is to create a policy that incentivizes weight loss, and being healthy. Maybe weight loss companies, or whoever, can give discounts to people above a certain weight who buys their weight loss products to make them more accessible. Also to incentivize those companies to do such a thing the government could give them a tax cut, or some type of reward for promoting a health life style. Just something that doesn't punish people, but rather rewards them for doing something to become healthier.

Here's my opinion on the topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom