• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Purity of LoZ

Daku Rinku

Dark Link
I was thinking of all the fables, legends, and mythological worlds LoZ has a purity that is retained no matter how dark the story line may get (Majora’s Mask). There is a intrinsic wholesomeness to it, the characters, the worlds themselves, and even though Ganondorf & Demise are very dark, it does not infect this underlying purity, hope, and light.

Am I the only one who feels this way? Please share your thoughts.

Prince Sidon

Sage of Water
I was thinking of all the fables, legends, and mythological worlds LoZ has a purity that is retained no matter how dark the story line may get (Majora’s Mask). There is a intrinsic wholesomeness to it, the characters, the worlds themselves, and even though Ganondorf & Demise are very dark, it does not infect this underlying purity, hope, and light.

Am I the only one who feels this way? Please share your thoughts.
Big Brain :)

Daku Rinku

Dark Link
Haha I didn't say there wasn’t darkness, I mean in A Link To A Past Ganon kills Zelda with magic In a sacrifice. :D

Daku Rinku

Dark Link
This video should prove interesting....

Disagree on a score, part of Hylian religon is the Triforce and that the gods keep the world in balance by giving the pieces to three: Zelda, Ganon, and Link; this reminds me of three elven rings meant to balance each other in Lord of the Rings.

I see the gods are at work on that Wisdom and Courage (Zelda & Link) always band together to keep Power (Ganon) from having absolute power.

Ashley the Witch

ZD Champion
Disagree on a score, part of Hylian religon is the Triforce and that the gods keep the world in balance by giving the pieces to three: Zelda, Ganon, and Link; this reminds me of three elven rings meant to balance each other in Lord of the Rings.

I see the gods are at work on that Wisdom and Courage (Zelda & Link) always band together to keep Power (Ganon) from having absolute power.
To add on to this, a lot of Asian religions focus on a perfect balance between everything Good and Evil, Light and Dark, Hope and Fear, a lot of Eastern religions don't try to distance themselves from the bad parts of their personality, but accepts them as the part of who they are. You cannot be whole without the other. The same is true with Zelda, the trifecta, The Triforce, each role perfectly balances the other two, like the three branches of the United States government, each Triforce piece has checks and balances to make sure the others don't get to powerful, when Ganondorf tries to overtake the other two pieces of the Triforce, wisdom and courage is the track and balance to keep power in place. If the other two pieces were to do the same as what Ganondorf tries, say, Courage tries to take the other two, Wisdom and Power will prevail, same will go with if Wisdom tries to take the other two as well. The goddesses are like the yin and yang, the perfect trifecta, the perfect balance for the world.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion

ReligionForBreakfast usually provides a unique perspective. I thought this video was interesting.

If I was to give my opinion on Hylianism, it feels most like a combination of Zoroastrianism combined with Shintoism.

It's really its own unique thing. I just thought he provided an interesting perspective. :)

Daku Rinku

Dark Link
ReligionForBreakfast usually provides a unique perspective. I thought this video was interesting.

If I was to give my opinion on Hylianism, it feels most like a combination of Zoroastrianism combined with Shintoism.

It's really its own unique thing. I just thought he provided an interesting perspective. :)
Oh its an interesting video. I am glad you shared it. I just was taking on one of his point with what I know from Zelda Mythology & Religon. I love discussing these kind of topics.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
To add on to this, a lot of Asian religions focus on a perfect balance between everything Good and Evil, Light and Dark, Hope and Fear, a lot of Eastern religions don't try to distance themselves from the bad parts of their personality, but accepts them as the part of who they are. You cannot be whole without the other.
The Abrahamic religions among others, however, assert moral objectivity as opposed to the subjective worldview of a religion like taoism. Where a subjective worldview would say that one is "distancing themselves from the bad parts of their personality", an objective worldview offers a definition for the concept of "bad". Not as though a person needs to be evil and good to exist but that a person cannot be both good and evil. The concepts of good and evil exist in Zelda but there is also a heavy emphasis on dualism so I certainly wouldn't say that there's necessarily a coherent theology to Hyrule. It seems to be an amalgam of incompatible worldviews.

Daku Rinku

Dark Link
The Abrahamic religions among others, however, assert moral objectivity as opposed to the subjective worldview of a religion like taoism. Where a subjective worldview would say that one is "distancing themselves from the bad parts of their personality", an objective worldview offers a definition for the concept of "bad". Not as though a person needs to be evil and good to exist but that a person cannot be both good and evil. The concepts of good and evil exist in Zelda but there is also a heavy emphasis on dualism so I certainly wouldn't say that there's necessarily a coherent theology to Hyrule. It seems to be an amalgam of incompatible worldviews.
Speaking of Abrahamic religions, Christianity does have an acceptance of the dark side of man, that it is at work inside humans, “But sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, produced in me every kind of coveting. For apart from the law, sin was dead. Once I was alive apart from the law; but when the commandment came, sin sprang to life and I died. I found that the very commandment that was intended to bring life actually brought death. For sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, deceived me,and through the commandment put me to death. So then, the law is holy, and the commandment is holy, righteous and good.
Did that which is good, then, become death to me? By no means! Nevertheless, in order that sin might be recognized as sin, it used what is good to bring about my death, so that through the commandment sin might become utterly sinful.
We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me.For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!” (Romans 7:9-24)

The idea that there is this dark nature inside us at work, despite our best efforts it bleds through is compelling. A duality of the Law of Spirit vs The Law of Sin.

I love this line from Netflix’s Resident Evil, “Maybe we are all just doing the best we can in a world where it is way too easy to do your worst.”

Last edited:

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Speaking of Abrahamic religions, Christianity does have an acceptance of the dark side of man, that it is at work inside humans, “But sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, produced in me every kind of coveting. For apart from the law, sin was dead. Once I was alive apart from the law; but when the commandment came, sin sprang to life and I died. I found that the very commandment that was intended to bring life actually brought death. For sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, deceived me,and through the commandment put me to death. So then, the law is holy, and the commandment is holy, righteous and good.
Did that which is good, then, become death to me? By no means! Nevertheless, in order that sin might be recognized as sin, it used what is good to bring about my death, so that through the commandment sin might become utterly sinful.
We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me.For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!” (Romans 7:9-24)

The idea that there is this dark nature inside us at work, despite our best efforts it bleds through is compelling. A duality of the Law of Spirit vs The Law of Sin.

I love this line from Netflix’s Resident Evil, “Maybe we are all just doing the best we can in a world where it is way too easy to do your worst.”
Absolutely. Not a validation of "darkness" but a recognition of it. Lucas's vision of the Force calls this to mind in that the balance in the Force is not equal amounts of light and dark but that the light side is the proper Force and the dark side is a cancer on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom