• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Official Fire Emblem Fates Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 81859
  • Start date

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
How would you feel, if they took the niche series Metroid. Took away all of the exploration aspects of discovery to make it easier for new players. Along with simpler controls, a more cinematic story that retcons a lot of prior games, and simpler level design that makes the game easy?
Oh yeah, they did that with Metroid Other M.

The same thing happened with Awakening really, except Awakening caught on. I really like Awakening, but dude. They took away all of the challenge, tenseness, and amazing story that Fire Emblem used to have. Really, I am glad they have made a distinction with that, and made Conquest. People have been loving Conquest according to reviewers, because it provides a way deeper experience than Birthright. But those that are new to the series still have what they like as well. It is literally a win-win situation.

The difference is that the Metroid formula worked back then, and it even worked with Prime. The Fire Emblem formula didn't, the series was all but dead when Awakening came out, it was even supposed to be the last game because it wasn't good enough to continue.

So with Metroid, you have a popular, successful franchise, and you changed it. That's a bad idea.
With Fire Emblem, you have a unpopular(yes, a dedicated few, but still), unsuccessful franchise, and you changed it. That was a good idea.

Gotta stick with what works. It's like in basketball, if Lebron is cold today but JR Smith is knocking down threes like Curry, then you give the ball to JR so he can shoot from the perimeter. The hot hand gets the ball.

Edit: Not to mention you can easily get back the same challenge you got from the original, in Awakening. And the story, while unoriginal, wasn't so bad.

I mean, it's a win-win. They appeal to fans of both styles by having two different games, one which caters to the old guard of fans that kept the series going for so long, and one for the newer fans that kept it alive.

I fundamentally disagree that the old Fire Emblem formula didn't work. Didn't sell doesn't automatically mean it's inherently bad or flawed. There are an uncountable amount of games that were spectacular but didn't sell well because of a variety of factors not related to the actual quality of the game.

D

Deleted member 14134

I don't get it though, the original formula didn't work, though. The series was most popular in Smash, not Fire Emblem games. Once Awakening came around, then the franchise blew up in popularity. So you'd think they would stay away from the old formula because it almost killed the franchise.
By releasing two versions (and a third dlc one) after such a hit like awakening it means more people will be willing to try out both and see what else the franchise has to offer. It'll have the easier more "awakening" like version for newer fans and the harder version for older/more hardcore fans of the series. It'll also allow those newer fans to try out the harder version. It should give the developer more feedback on which direction to take the series in the future (although I'm sure birthright will be the more popular of the two). While I'm not a huge fan of two versions, it's a smart move and has a silver lining to it for the reasons I mentioned above.

Really Gamespot....
This is why I hate these guys with a passion.
http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/fire-emblem-fates-conquest-review/1900-6416359/
Hoshido's side got an 8/10 btw.
But Nohr's side, of course, gets shafted... Why? Because the reviewer is a terrible player, and gets mad about it... Well who could have guessed that?

So, in short, the game is too hard for this scrub, and he wants to grind.
Never did he ever mention the Child Epilogues that could be used in that way, and providing more content for him that he so "desperately needs".

Really?! I mean, why does the review have to suffer only because the journalist is bad?
I can't even believe that he is mad that he lost some units. This is a STRATEGY game. You are going to have some casualties. If you could just grind to have no deaths, then what is the point of playing the game? I don't review Mario and strike the game down a point just because Mario lost a life. So why is this a detriment to the game? The reason there are characters that you get to know, is so that they can die, and you could feel bad for your loss. That makes every single decision hard, but that is also the reason that FE is so great.

Don't get me wrong. I thought the reviews for Birthright and Revelations did an amazing job with the review under Alexa's. They were very fair, made fair criticisms, and were very well thought out. But Peters review of Conquest is just stunted, with only the excuse of "The game is too hard and I cannot grind". It isn't like the game is impossible by any means. So why is this such a big detriment?

Really. Gamespot does a terrible job of finding the right reviewers for their games. I would have loved to see Alexa's opinion of Conquest as a matter of fact.

I scoffed at this to. I've recently been playing the XCOM series and decided to enable ironman mode, which is a mode that overwrites a single save file after every action you take which basically doesn't allow you to undo your changes. I like playing scenarios like this because it adds a tension to the game that few games can recreate. It makes every choice matter and ultimately, it means there's a very good chance that you can utterly and completely lose. And that's part of the experience. I think Conquest will do a similar thing where if you don't set up your party good enough there's a chance you'll have to start over, consider what mistakes you made and try again. For me at least, it enhances the experience as I have to pay more attention to what I'm doing. I understand that alot of people dislike this but that's why there's an easier campaign and online walkthroughs and guides for people who can't handle the difficulty.

Kylo Ken

I mean, it's a win-win. They appeal to fans of both styles by having two different games, one which caters to the old guard of fans that kept the series going for so long, and one for the newer fans that kept it alive.

I fundamentally disagree that the old Fire Emblem formula didn't work. Didn't sell doesn't automatically mean it's inherently bad or flawed. There are an uncountable amount of games that were spectacular but didn't sell well because of a variety of factors not related to the actual quality of the game.

That's a very good point and I agree with you. However, I wish you would've gotten some discount for buying both games, cause they were originally one game in Japan, iirc. So nickel and dimeing us just cause it's gotten popular here is pretty shady too.

And I don't mean to say that the old games were BAD, cause I don't think they were. I owned RD, which used the old formula and it was fun. But what I mean by unsuccessful, unpopular, and failure is strictly sales based. As much as I want the good games to thrive, what their Fates(get it?) are hanging on is their sales.

I can use the Cleveland Cavaliers comparison again here, too. Kevin Love is an amazing player, that is indisputable, but since it's not working out here, there are trade rumors. Becasue we aren't getting the desired results, we're considering changing the formula. Same happened with Fire Emblem, despite how good or bad the old formula was, it wasn't working. So, they changed it, and the new way works. So, why go back to what didn't work?

I guess the answer to that is that they want to reward their dedicated fan-base or want to introduce the new players to the old way things were done. Neither of those are wrong, but hey, it seems like a big risk to take sometimes.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
That's a very good point and I agree with you. However, I wish you would've gotten some discount for buying both games, cause they were originally one game in Japan, iirc. So nickel and dimeing us just cause it's gotten popular here is pretty shady too.

And I don't mean to say that the old games were BAD, cause I don't think they were. I owned RD, which used the old formula and it was fun. But what I mean by unsuccessful, unpopular, and failure is strictly sales based. As much as I want the good games to thrive, what their Fates(get it?) are hanging on is their sales.

I can use the Cleveland Cavaliers comparison again here, too. Kevin Love is an amazing player, that is indisputable, but since it's not working out here, there are trade rumors. Becasue we aren't getting the desired results, we're considering changing the formula. Same happened with Fire Emblem, despite how good or bad the old formula was, it wasn't working. So, they changed it, and the new way works. So, why go back to what didn't work?

I guess the answer to that is that they want to reward their dedicated fan-base or want to introduce the new players to the old way things were done. Neither of those are wrong, but hey, it seems like a big risk to take sometimes.
They were not originally one game in Japan, and they are both discounted in both the west and in Asia.
If you get Birthright, that means that you can get conquest for $20. You will also get revelation for $20 as well. So overall, you are paying $80 for three 30-50 hour games. So yeah.... Each game has slightly more content than Awakening separately.

Also, the formula wasn't really what didn't work that affected sales. It really wasn't. There just was not a good entry point for the series. Much like how Monster Hunter's formulas was still good, despite bad sales in the west. That is, until Monster Hunter 4 came out.

We should really love that IS listened to the original fans of Fire Emblem as well. And I definitely do.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Gamespot btfo'd Conquest because the reviewer is trash at the title. 7/10 too little grinding :^)

Anywho, text dumps have already been made for ENG amie lines. Most of the dialogue that I've seen so far has been fully intact, but Effie...holy **** UNGA BUNGA.

Kylo Ken

They were not originally one game in Japan, and they are both discounted in both the west and in Asia.
If you get Birthright, that means that you can get conquest for $20. You will also get revelation for $20 as well. So overall, you are paying $80 for three 30-50 hour games. So yeah.... Each game has slightly more content than Awakening separately.

I preordered Birthright and Conquest from Gamestop, and it was 80 bucks total, so I don't know where you got that from. Then again, if anyone would boost the prices of the game, it'd be Gamestop.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I preordered Birthright and Conquest from Gamestop, and it was 80 bucks total, so I don't know where you got that from. Then again, if anyone would boost the prices of the game, it'd be Gamestop.
No, if you buy hoshido/nohr physically, you get the other two paths DIGITALLY for $20 each. buy them through Nintendo eShop.

ectoBiologist

Still Fandom Trash
I probably won't be able to get this game for awhile, which sucks, because I was looking forward to it. Maybe one day, probably a year from now XD

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I probably won't be able to get this game for awhile, which sucks, because I was looking forward to it. Maybe one day, probably a year from now XD
If it's a funds issue, go on youtube and search "3ds giveaways" they are usually free (unless they are begging for PLS LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW ME IN TWITTAH), and the worst result is that you will not win. If it's a 3DS issue, I wish you luck man. 2DS are getting cheap, seen em around $85 lately.

ectoBiologist

Still Fandom Trash
If it's a funds issue, go on youtube and search "3ds giveaways" they are usually free (unless they are begging for PLS LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW ME IN TWITTAH), and the worst result is that you will not win. If it's a 3DS issue, I wish you luck man. 2DS are getting cheap, seen em around $85 lately.
Just funds for the game. I have a 3DS already, even if the R Button is a little iffy. I'll take your advice, though. Maybe I'll strike gold.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Just funds for the game. I have a 3DS already, even if the R Button is a little iffy. I'll take your advice, though. Maybe I'll strike gold.
Hey man you never know. If it's free, the only thing you "lose" is a winning ticket! In any case, I can't wait for Friday to happen. Literally edging on the seat right now just waiting for the calendar to say 2/19/16. hnnng the wait is KILLING ME

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
...wait there's grinding in fire emblem!?
is this an awakening thing? b/c unless we're talking about side chapters (which still matter),i haven't seen any grinding opportunities in the ones i've played [binding blade,blazing sword,& path of radiance]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom