• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Nintendo Direct News And Discussion Thread

https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/664732060976746497?ref_src=twsrc^tfw
hMxbE9s.jpg

Rough translations are:

Sakurai - Tomorrow I will get up early.

Nintendo - November 13 (Friday) morning from 7:00 it will broadcast the Nintendo Direct. Wii U and Nintendo to center the information of the 3DS software Nintendo Public Relations Office of Morimoto directly deliver stripe scheduled to be released until next spring
Another rough translation by Cheesemeister - @Nintendo #NintendoDirectJP set for Friday at 7 am Japan Time, simulcast worldwide, covering #WiiU and #3DS thru spring. Morimoto presents.
https://twitter.com/Nintendo/status/664239608771678208

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Miyamoto san appreciates hand written letters more as he can throw them into the fire after he has had a good laugh.
Sounds mean!

https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/664732060976746497?ref_src=twsrc^tfw
hMxbE9s.jpg

Rough translations are:

Sakurai - Tomorrow I will get up early.

Nintendo - November 13 (Friday) morning from 7:00 it will broadcast the Nintendo Direct. Wii U and Nintendo to center the information of the 3DS software Nintendo Public Relations Office of Morimoto directly deliver stripe scheduled to be released until next spring
Another rough translation by Cheesemeister - @Nintendo #NintendoDirectJP set for Friday at 7 am Japan Time, simulcast worldwide, covering #WiiU and #3DS thru spring. Morimoto presents.
https://twitter.com/Nintendo/status/664239608771678208
Basically both maintain that they'll only cover things up until Spring... guess we should rule out Zelda Wii U info?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well holy ****, they went all out on Zelda right off the gate. Twilight Princess HD is confirmed for March 2016, Zelda Wii U is confirmed to be on the Wii U, Triforce Heroes DLC will apparently be free (?) and available in December. I'm also wondering about the Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass games set to release on Virtual Console shortly after the direct is finished. Will these be played with the Wii U Gamepad stylus, or will there be button controls? How will they do Phantom Hourglass' flute blowing? Good stuff.

*edit* I'm actually quite a fan of the stylus controls of these games, though I'm considering getting them again if they have button controls, just to see how different the experience will be.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I'll take it. Twilight Princess is my 2nd favorite game of all time, so any excuse to replay it is good enough for me. And thank you Nintendo for finally releasing the soundtrack.

It doesn't change the fact though that this game, visually, hardly looks any better. I hate to talk about graphics, but a remake is like 80% based on a visual enhancement and they could have done so much better with Twilight Princess's gorgeous world. The Wii U may not be anywhere near as powerful as the PS4 or Xbox One, but c'mon look how many stunning games were released during 7th Gen: Uncharted 2&3, the Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite, GTA V, Dishonored etc. This game could look so much better and usually I wouldn't judge on graphics alone, but we're talking a remake of a game 10 years ago and I could hardly tell the difference in some scenes.

I'm still happy about the game regardless, but that's only on the basis that it's being released. I always envisioned Twilight Princess, when it did finally get a remake, of being this stunning world topping most games visually and being in awe while playing like I did the first time, but I'm left with a sour taste now of what could have been. Why does Nintendo always have to be bittersweet even when something's actually good?

Just some random thoughts after the Direct.

Twilight Princess HD looks like a smaller update than some of the previous Zelda remakes. Still, I'm glad to be getting an updated version of my second favorite Zelda game. I think I'll cave and pick up the Wolf Link Amiibo too.

The Triforce Heroes free DLC was expected, but it's nice to know it's coming soon and at no cost. I truly do hope this game's online community continues to thrive.

Linkle in Hyrule Warriors Legends was another unsurprising Zelda announcement, but I'm happy for fans who've wanted to see her for so long.

I have no interest in Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival or Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash, so no comment.

Xenoblade Chronicles X can't come soon enough.

The Splatoon update was nice, but it didn't feel too hypey, since Nintendo has done such a good job with updating the game regularly.

Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam is just around the corner, and I look forward to playing it sooner than most people expected.

The Megaman Amiibo seems extremely forced for the Megaman Legacy Collection.

That Fire Emblem: Fates Special Edition for all three versions is rather pricey, but it looks really nice.

Dragon Quest VII is a welcome localization for fans of the franchise.

Star Fox Zero looks a lot more polished than it did at E3. I think it may had the best trailer of the entire Nintendo Direct.

Pokken Tournament is turning out solid, and as a player who never played Pokemon Yellow, I'd like to experience the minor changes it made to Red and Blue.

Cloud in Smash Bros....he'll be extremely out of place due to never appearing on a Nintendo platform. Does this mean FF VII Remake is coming to the NX?

Last edited:
One thing of note is that Shibata also said that Twilight Princess would receive more than just a graphical update. What exactly he's talking about remains to be seen. I hope he means they ditched the City in the Sky, or radically redesigned that.

One thing of note is that Shibata also said that Twilight Princess would receive more than just a graphical update. What exactly he's talking about remains to be seen. I hope he means they ditched the City in the Sky, or radically redesigned that.

Honestly, I hope the changes are along the lines of what they did in TWW HD. I hope they somehow speed up the awful Tears of Light collection and maybe also make enemies deal more damage. Twilight Princess had the especially bad problem of having some of the easiest bosses in the franchise.

Whelp, it was nice to have both Zeldas for the Wii U confirmed for 2016. Star Fox Zero looks good as well, and I think by now I'm totally sold on Xenoblade Chronicles to boot.

I suppose the one thing I'm wary of is the Amiibo feature for Zelda. I can't imagine it was more than 3 seconds from the time he said "preorders are already up" to the moment when they were sold out. Let's hope they learn from this past year and manufacture more than enough to at least attempt to meet the demand.

Thoughts on what I cared about, or found interesting -

Twilight Princess HD: I honestly don't know what I was expecting. It's cool that I get to play my second favorite Zelda again for sure, and it is by default a good game. But I feel like Nintendo pulled a Square Enix on this one and put forth the bare minimum when it came to updating the visuals. The only problem is that when I buy something like FFXHD for the PS4, it's justified because I can't play FFX on my PS4 without it. TP's lack of a meaningful visual update makes it hard to stomach a bit, because I can just pop the Wii version of TP into my Wii U and have a good time right now.

Actually, I know exactly what I was expecting. I was expecting the same amount of love and care that WW got with its HD remake, and I'm not seeing it here. Hopefully we get more between now and release that sweetens the deal, but as it is, I am disappointed. I will buy the game because I love TP and I actually like amiibo, but it could be so much better.

Zelda U Tease: Happy to see that Nintendo is sticking to its guns and still calling it a Wii U game. Beyond that, we saw almost nothing. Better than pretending like it doesn't exist like they have all year, I guess.

Fire Emblem Fates: I'm slightly annoyed that I'm going to have to pay $80 for all the material, but if each story is as robust and satisfying as Awakening, it could mean that the $80 will actually translate to an unreal amount of gameplay time. I also hope that they'll add more bells and whistles to the $80 deal, as I would happily shell out the cash being such a huge Fire Emblem fan.

Also very happy to see a release date that's reasonable and doesn't seem like it makes no sense (ie Yoshi's Woolly World and Star Fox Zero). I can wait until February, and I expect to have a very, very good game on my hands.

Pokken Tournament: Not going to lie, I'm downright disappointed that we still don't have a release date. How much time does it take to localize a fighting game that also happens to be a Pokemon game? Pokemon, you know, the series that outsells anything and everything Nintendo puts out on a regular basis. It boggles the mind that this game hasn't been top priority given the current state of the Wii U.

Besides that, Shadow Mewtwo is okay I guess. Really hoping the anime characters in the trailer don't indicate that something stupid is about to happen (you know what I'm talking about).

Xenoblade Chronicles X: Just give it to me now. I know what I want to know, and I don't need convincing. December can't come soon enough.

Linkle: lololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololollololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololollololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololollololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol

Star Fox Zero:
That is one hell of a delay. One has to wonder why a game that doesn't look all that impressive is taking so long to make, especially when the developers have admitted that you can apparently complete a single playthrough of the story in an afternoon. I have this weird thing with Starfox where I've always wanted to play one but never really have. I'll be picking it up eventually, but I feel for the true fans of the series that have had to go through all this crap after not having a game for so long.

Cloud Strife in Smash Bros: I already posted this in the actual Smash thread, but this is by far the weirdest and most strange character to ever be in Smash. I won't regurgitate what I said in the thread, but hopefully this points towards the FFVII remake being on the NX in some capacity.

Last edited:

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
I liked this Direct, certainly more than E3. Star Fox Zero looks better than before, at the very least.

As a Zelda fan, I'm pleased with Twilight Princess HD, free update for Tri Force Heroes and the acknowledgement that Zelda Wii U this exists. Hyrule Warriors Legends still seems inferior to the Wii U version, despite interesting.

Splatoon is going to continue keeping me busy while I ignore the rest of the games that come out this year.

Pokkén Tournament looks bloody crazy. My brother is very interested in it so I'll be likely to try it out no matter how I feel.

The Nintendo Badge Arcade on 3DS is decent. I don't intend on spending any money on it, I only want some Rosalina stickers to match the theme I use. It's all a matter of how difficult they want to make it for me to get a certain few badges without spending any money.

Now give me the Smash Brothers presentation because I'm a greedy bastard for that stuff.

Reactions: Fig
Thoughts on what I cared about, or found interesting -

Twilight Princess HD: I honestly don't know what I was expecting. It's cool that I get to play my second favorite Zelda again for sure, and it is by default a good game. But I feel like Nintendo pulled a Square Enix on this one and put forth the bare minimum when it came to updating the visuals. The only problem is that when I buy something like FFXHD for the PS4, it's justified because I can't play FFX on my PS4 without it. TP's lack of a meaningful visual update makes it hard to stomach a bit, because I can just pop the Wii version of TP into my Wii U and have a good time right now.

Actually, I know exactly what I was expecting. I was expecting the same amount of love and care that WW got with its HD remake, and I'm not seeing it here. Hopefully we get more between now and release that sweetens the deal, but as it is, I am disappointed. I will buy the game because I love TP and I actually like amiibo, but it could be so much better.

Zelda U Tease: Happy to see that Nintendo is sticking to its guns and still calling it a Wii U game. Beyond that, we saw almost nothing. Better than pretending like it doesn't exist like they have all year, I guess.

Fire Emblem Fates: I'm slightly annoyed that I'm going to have to pay $80 for all the material, but if each story is as robust and satisfying as Awakening, it could mean that the $80 will actually translate to an unreal amount of gameplay time. I also hope that they'll add more bells and whistles to the $80 deal, as I would happily shell out the cash being such a huge Fire Emblem fan.

Also very happy to see a release date that's reasonable and doesn't seem like it makes no sense (ie Yoshi's Woolly World and Star Fox Zero). I can wait until February, and I expect to have a very, very good game on my hands.

Pokken Tournament: Not going to lie, I'm downright disappointed that we still don't have a release date. How much time does it take to localize a fighting game that also happens to be a Pokemon game? Pokemon, you know, the series that outsells anything and everything Nintendo puts out on a regular basis. It boggles the mind that this game hasn't been top priority given the current state of the Wii U.

Besides that, Shadow Mewtwo is okay I guess. Really hoping the anime characters in the trailer don't indicate that something stupid is about to happen (you know what I'm talking about).

Xenoblade Chronicles X: Just give it to me now. I know what I want to know, and I don't need convincing. December can't come soon enough.

Linkle: lololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololollololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololollololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololollololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol

Star Fox Zero:
That is one hell of a delay. One has to wonder why a game that doesn't look all that impressive is taking so long to make, especially when the developers have admitted that you can apparently complete a single playthrough of the story in an afternoon. I have this weird thing with Starfox where I've always wanted to play one but never really have. I'll be picking it up eventually, but I feel for the true fans of the series that have had to go through all this crap after not having a game for so long.

Cloud Strife in Smash Bros: I already posted this in the actual Smash thread, but this is by far the weirdest and most strange character to ever be in Smash. I won't regurgitate what I said in the thread, but hopefully this points towards the FFVII remake being on the NX in some capacity.

Weirder then Pac-Man and Wii Fit Trainer?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I couldn't care less about literally anything but Zelda in that direct. That being said, I didn't give TPHD a second look because I don't like TP. I enjoyed the look at HWL and Linkle and I'm excited for that game. The 10 second teaser of Zelda U was pretty but otherwise did nothing for me.

I hate to talk about graphics, but a remake is like 80% based on a visual enhancement
This is one of the reasons why I think OOT3D, MM3D and WWHD are bad. There was no visual enhancements in those 3 remakes (in my opinion). All the changes were steps backwards in those remakes. That's why when the TPHD trailer did not wow me visually I was not bothered by that. Nintendo either can't or do not want to make a 3D Zelda remake look amazing.

Graphics and aesthetics aside the 3D Zelda remakes do have a lot ot improved gameplay features which make them worth buying. Also for WW and TP, being able to play both on the WiiU makes it worthwhile too. I am waiting for WWHD to come up on a decent sale, then I'll get it.

I do want to get TPHD and I will pre-order it. I just am not disappointed about TPHD not looking way better than the original TP. I know Nintendo can't or will not make their Zelda remakes look good so I didn't expect it. The remake will still be tons of fun though.

Here are my opinions on the most notable oarts of the Direct for me.

Twilight Princess HD: Looks about the same as TPGC/Wii. That's a good thing. It's not a step backwards in graphics/aesthetics like OOT3D, MM3D and WWHD were. Also being able to play it on the WiiU would be nice. TP is the onnly TV based console Zelda game I have not beaten more than once. I did TP once then never went back to it. Revisiting it would be nice. Also the Amiibo jsut sweetens the deal.

Zelda U Tease: At least we know the game stille exists. A long way off though. Could be a WiiU/NX game like how TP was GC/Wii. But that's so far off it's not even worth mentioning yet.

Fire Emblem Fates: I think the fans will really love this. Three huge campaigns. A lot of content there and the story actually looks good. I'm not a FF fan, but the fans will love this.

Pokken Tournament: Tekken with Pokemon. Does not thrill me at all to be honest. I think it'll sell well. Needs a 3DS port ASAP though. This kind of thing on the 3DS would have been a money printing machine. Most people just accept that Pokemon is a portable thing and the pokemon fans buy their portable consoles for that reason. The 3DS pokemon fans that can't play this because it's WiiU only will not be happy. The game looks pretty good and it will sell. I just think it's on the totally wrong system to maximise sales.

Xenoblade Chronicles X: Terrible advertising for the game in the direct. Sure the trailer was funny. But why in hell was this game not the first thing said in the direct. It annoys me that Nintendo are refusing to make this game their no.1 selling point for the holidays. Heck, they went on about TPHD for ages first up and it's only 4th March. And it's a remake. XCX is less than a month away, looks to be totally amazing too. No noe can deny the brilliance and dedication that went into this game.

Seriously **** you Nintendo. Get your head out of your asses and realise that this is the game you should have been putting your advertising $$ into and not games to be released next year. You all know I am a huge Nintendo fanboy. But in this instance Nintendo got it wrong. Nintendo treated XCX like just another game in the direct. XCX is not just another game. It's a masterpiece. Iwata understood this, especially with his Iwata asks with Monolithsoft. He really was amazed by the game and wanted to advertise it hard closer to the release date. Sadly Iwata did not live to see this happen. His death put a stop to it all as no one else at Nintendo was wanting to advertise XCX properly. If Monolithsoft are pissed at the lack of advertising and how Nintendo now is treating XCX, I would not blame them. I would be too.

Linkle: This is a slap in the face for the Wii HW owners. She was in the HW art section of the HW guide book. She was not a new idea for HW Legends. It seems she was considered for HW WiiU but purposely held back for the 3DS game. Not cool Nintendo. She would have been a nice addition for the WiiU game. Oh well.

Star Fox Zero:
Amazing trailer there. Told us nothing new apart from the date. But I loved every second of it. Such nostalgia in the music there. Best part of the whole direct for me. This is the game from the whole direct I want to play so much. People can ***** about it as much as they want. People also *****ed about SM3DW at E3 but afterwards they all ate their words when the released game was amazing. Star Fox Zero will be the game. I think it'll be like SF64/Lylat Wars. Not the bes tlooking game (for the time) but it will play really well, be really replayable and be super fun to play. Fun > everything else. Star Fox Zero looks to have mountains of fun and the control scheme once people learn how to use it well should be heaps of fun too. Being able to have outsude view and cockpit view accessable all the time should be great. Supposedly you can replay everym mission with all three vehicles. For me seeing which vehicle is better for each mission will be fun. A little sad there's no Blue marine in Star Fox Zero. But yeah overall I'm so on the hype train with this game. Looks amazing.
I am more hyped for this than I am for XCX.

The delay hurts though. But that's ok. We have other Nintendo games to keep us busy till then.

If I could only have one game mentioned in this whole Direct, it would be Star Fox Zero.

Cloud Strife in Smash Bros: An Ike clone? What the? Sakurai? Why? I guess the fans wanted it (Smash Ballot). But still more sword using clones in my opinion is not the best idea ever. Roy had to come because SSB Melee and the character had a lot of fans. But this FF character? Sakurai should have choosen a character from FF that is not a clone of what already exists in SSB4. Actually a magic using FF character would be different. There is not many magic using characters in SSB4. Zelda is one of the only ones. This is pure fan service (Cloud this is). I'll get the character but I will not use it much and stick yo Ike. . . unless the Ike clone kicks Ike's ass. The I'll use the clone.

Typoman: This looks damn good actually. I really liked Limbo and MonoChroma. Typoman takes a unique spin on this darker themed 2D platformer/puzzler genre. I just might get it one day. If the price is right.

FAST Racing Neo: How hard is it for Nintendo to get these folks to rename the main character here to Falcon and rename the game to F-Zero: Neo. It's not. This is the indie title that has F-Zero written all over it. At the right price people would have loved this as a F-Zero title. Nintneod being so over protective of their IPs really let a golden opportunity go here. You even have Falcon for Amiibo content for the game. Poor form Nintendo. But on the other hand the indie's here have made a pretty good game. If I was more of a racing game fan I'd get it. I'm not so I will not, but the game looks good.

Ultra Smash Tennis: I might cancel my pre-order of this. I loved Power Tennis. That on the GC was totally amazing. One of the best tennis games ever. Ultra Smash Tennis on the other hand is a very poor follow up. A huge shame really. Possibly I just might cancel the pre-order and maybe get it some time in the future. If I do not, I will not be unhappy. A Mario tennis game not having a mushroon cup or whatever to equate to the ATP 250, 500, Masters and Slams? That's just a bad tennis game. Tennis is tournaments. That's how it is in real life. Without just makes a bad tennis game.

Bravely Second: Looks as amazing as the first. If I owned a 3DS I'd be all over this. If you are a 3DS fan and only want one RPG from the direct. I'd argue for this over FE. But it'd be a close call as Bravely Second and FE both look great.

Super Mario Maker: A great addition. But this needs to be in game as well. So you can choose the courses you want to play in a better way. The fact that this si online but not in the game directly puzzles me. I will certainly use it. But having to search for a level to play on my phone while SMM is on, just feels weird. It's great while you are away from your WiiU. But when you are at your WiiU we want this new and improved search too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom