• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Nintendo Direct News And Discussion Thread

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
mario galore and metal gear, what more can I ask (though dark moon is a big blegh)

a lot of good other surprises here too, though it'd vary on how much I'd keep them on my radar

Star Ocean 1 remake would be nice. Interesting that they went with 2, though I don't know anything about the series.
And Sonic is nice, too.
first departure R already came out, it's just a touched up version of the PSP game but it did happen

my bold prediction: gamecube online (markas will owe me 1 thousand dollars)
w/ pikmin 1 & 2 coming out on their own, I sense my thousand will remain forever secure

Last edited:

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Yeah nothing here really grabbed me. Excited for the TotK amiibo and I want the Zelda one very badly but these were already known to be coming. Sad we didn't get a DLC announcement. Silent Hope or whatever that was is certainly something I'd eat up.... if it weren't for that ugly chibi in-game model style. Why do games keep going for this? I do not like. I kind of have a similar problem with the new Sonic game... 2D3D like that just gives me uncanny valley vibes. If it's gonna be an exclusively 2D sidescroller just do sprites. Making it look 3D just makes me wish it were full 3D.

7.8/10 too much Mario. There were like 6 separate Mario titles in this direct. Jesus. Should've marketed it as a Mario direct instead of a Pikmin direct. Sad we didn't see Fantasy Life i.

To be honest, I wasn't expecting anything Zelda-related in this direct (it's only been like, a month since TotK released, it took 3 months for them to announce/release the Master Trials DLC), so the amiibos were a surprise.
I am looking forward to SMRPG and that Princess Peach game, as well as Super Mario Wonder. I'm kinda eeeeeh on Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. It was fun on the 3DS, but I don't really have any desire to play it again. The new Wario Ware looks fun.

I think what got me the most excited was Detective Pikachu Returns. I really enjoyed the 3DS game, I can't wait to see where the story goes in the sequel!

Wishing something from Grasshopper had shown up considering their own seemed a bit more like a joke.

Most excited for the Mario RPG remake and Pokémon DLC. Really a lot of things here releasing for the holiday season, a lot of it just before my birthday, but not a ton of stuff I’m particularly interested in.

People expecting new Zelda stuff set themselves up for disappointment. I’m more miffed that there’s still no news of when the hell the Oracle games are supposed to be released on NSO.

Wish we’d get more Metroid Prime 4 info but I think at this point it will probably have its own special direct whenever they’ll want to show it.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
I touched upon it earlier in this thread and went in depth a bit in the SB, but I get the distinct impression that this Direct was incredibly rushed.

Some evidence supporting my theory being:

-Pokemon DLC was not only in the Direct as opposed to its own separate Pokemon Presents like it usually is, but given the opening trailer. This is doubly weird seeing as how we already knew about a decent chunk of what was shown.

-In a similar vein, the only Splatoon news that we got was the next Splatfest, something that’s usually only announced through other means like twitter.

-The new Princess Peach game and Dark Moon port didn’t even get a trailer of any kind, despite being pretty massive bombshells. Only a few seconds of gameplay followed by a “yeah it’s coming.” The Peach game didn’t even get a name.

-Even the Mario RPG trailer felt kinda cheap, though that could just be me.

-They spent a lot of time on Pikmin 4, and yet none of it really felt like it was direct worthy by itself, at least not enough to warrant marketing the Direct as being “Pikmin focused.” They also released a trailer for the game just days earlier, stuff that probably could have been in the Direct itself had they planned on it.

-Even the third party stuff felt somewhat lacking. The only real “new” major announcement on that front was Dragon Quest Monsters I think.

Now I’m not saying anything definitively, but I think what happened is that they looked at the lack of an E3 event this year as an opportunity to not be obligated to make a presentation, thinking that the rest of the industry would follow suit. Once they saw that everyone else had their presentation out, they started to panic and slap together as much filler content as they could find so they could support the one or two trailers that they could actually finish.

Now, predicting Nintendo’s actions is something everyone should stay away from, but if I’m right, that means that they were planning on holding off on their really big announcements until later, perhaps during a September Direct.

MightyMario

The Vengeful Warrior | Drawn by Uwu_Oocoo2
there were a lot of “more info on this title will be revealed at a later date” in this direct, weird

MightyMario

The Vengeful Warrior | Drawn by Uwu_Oocoo2
Also, me thinks that Metroid Prime 4 may have become Metroid Prime Remastered and we didn’t realize it.

*Just a theory, a stupid theory but a theory nonetheless*

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Also, me thinks that Metroid Prime 4 may have become Metroid Prime Remastered and we didn’t realize it.

*Just a theory, a stupid theory but a theory nonetheless*
No, definitely not that. Even if we want to think that Prime 4 has been canned for whatever reason, Prime Remastered uses the same source code as the Trilogy version. It definitely doesn’t take 4 years to port that, even with the added textures and control options.

RamboBambiBambo

RamboBambiBamboBingoBongoBoiyo
Metroid Prime 4 is probably still in development.

Nintendo had a studio working on it, being Bandai Namco. However something happened that caused Nintendo to cancel their contract with Bandai Namco.
Nintendo then managed to get Retro Studios, the OG developers of the Metroid Prime series, to come back and take on the project.
Retro worked on Metroid Prime 4 for a while but they were dissatisfied with the build that Bandai Namco had put together.
So Retro Studios scrapped the OG Build of Prime 4 and began working on the current build. This was done in late 2019.
Then Covid became a thing.

So not only are they working on a new build from scratch, but Covid came around and slowed development progress. The last news I can find so far on MP4 was from October of 2020 where storyboard artists were being hired. Since then, like with most Nintendo development cycles, not a peep.

Now that Covid has been regressed for about a year or so, development of MP4 is probably on a more proper track.
So while the game was originally announced for development in 2017, the game has actually been in development by Retro Studios with a present build being made since late 2019 with Covid slowing production development.
So we have had 6 years of total development, a build that has been under development for a little over 3 years, but with probably closer to around 2 years of actual production due to lockdowns and restrictions.

So here's hoping that by next year we at least see some actual trailer footage or magazine articles with pictures for MP4.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Metroid Prime 4 will very likely be a cross-gen release. It's the type of game that can generate hype for a new console release.
Man, that's a depressing thought: Metroid Prime 4 being announced in 2017 and then being kicked around and trapped in development hell for so long that it releases for the next console instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom