• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The "NGP" (PSP2) Was Announced Last Night

Kazumi

chagy
It's so freaking beautiful. I mean't to post about it last night, but I was so tired since the conference ended at around 2am for me. Anyway, it's so amazing. Sony is claiming that it rivals the PSP in power, and I really wouldn't be surprised if this was true as Metal Gear Solid 4, Lost Planet 2, and Uncharted were seen being rendered in real time in full HD on this beast. And what with the dual analog sticks, dual touch pads, gyroscopes... Well just look at this link for all of the information:

http://psp.ign.com/articles/114/1146358p1.html

Now all I want to know is when I can buy it and how much it will cost me. Discuss.

jugglaj91

I am me....
Well it says Holiday 2011 for Japan. I expect to see it shortly after that here in the states. As for price it will probably be in the 300's USD. Which will give Nintendo the big advantage price wise. I would like to think Sony wouldn't lose profits for 2 years on this like they did PS3

Sure, Nintendo is coming out with the 3DS, so Sony decided to come out with "PSP2". Sony just copies Microsoft and Nintendo, not that Microsoft is completely original either.

Once again, Sony, I am disappoint.

We need someone on here that likes Sony, the posts are starting to look the same...
I'm a fan of all three major game console companies, so why don't I give that a shot? :P

I haven't played the PSP yet, due to my lack of any monies, but I know a fair amount about it and I think that this console looks like a good step up from it. It's always impressive to see any handheld device capable of playing games of or close to the quality of the current gen home consoles, and this is something Sony has handled pretty well. I don't really like the idea of downloadable titles instead of hard copies of the game. It may be the "future", but in a number of ways I find it pointless and stupid, and I just like to hold the game in my hands and have in as a physical object. Probably my only concern with the device. Well, that and my general hope that the library is more impressive this time around. I imagine it might be like what happened with the transition from Xbox to Xbox360, in which there was a massive library improvement. Or maybe it will be stunted again thanks to the downloadable stuff. I don't know. We shall see.

Thanks for the news, Kaz! This sounds pretty cool!

All Sony does is copy Nintendo because they can't think of original ideas for themselves.

Sony just copies Microsoft and Nintendo, not that Microsoft is completely original either.
You guys are pretty much missing the point. Nintendo has always focused primarily and even solely on innovation. They come up with wild new ideas and try (usually succeeding) to change the face of gaming. Sony and Microsoft have never done this, and indeed pretty much no other company in the history of game consoles has. Innovation is largely in the hands of those that MAKE GAMES (which makes sense as that would help the imagination come up with concepts that the console could use to make more new games possible). Nintendo makes games; Sony and Microsoft don't on their own but hire other companies to do it.

Neither Sony or Microsoft thrive on new ideas but rather technology. Their consoles have superior power, graphics, online services, and just about everything else you can think of. Even some of their motion control stuff seems to have more polish than the Wiimote, although that doesn't in any way eclipse Nintendo. This new Sony handheld looks to be frankly superior to the 3DS in almost every way technologically, save for the 3D screen.

As for them copying? Well once an idea has become standard on even one console, of course the others will adopt it. That goes without saying. You shouldn't be complaining about it because it's a basic, common, and crucial business practice. It's Nintendo's weak point actually; they stubbornly refuse to accept industry standards to a fault.

Sure, Nintendo is coming out with the 3DS, so Sony decided to come out with "PSP2".
Again, of course they are. When they don't have other consoles to compete with, game consoles and handhelds have long lifespans. When they do have competitors, they have short lifespans and they have to keep cranking them out. The consoles of the three different companies whether home or handheld have always released not that far apart. Why is this a surprise?

Last edited:

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
The PSP sucked. It was a failed attempt at a hand held just to compete with Nintendo. But I got to admit, Sony is getting the point so far. The PSP2 looks very good at this point. Even though they copied the 3DS or DS for that matter, I can still see the originality it has. Hopefully it has better games and allows you to play your games on the PS3 and then take em on the go. I heard Konami was working on something like that. But as of now, the Nintendo 3DS is looking better at this point. It has so many great games coming and amazing features. Graphics is not a really huge factor in gaming but for the PSP2 to have graphics the rival the PS3 is pretty amazing. Imagine what Nintendo could pull off if they were to use disc instead of little cartridges. Both Nintendo and Sony hand helds look very promising except we don't know much about it's game were as the 3DS has many great ones.

jugglaj91

I am me....
I don't really like the idea of downloadable titles instead of hard copies of the game. It may be the "future", but in a number of ways I find it pointless and stupid, and I just like to hold the game in my hands and have in as a physical object.
I believe it was said they would use a flash based medium like a SD Card or something similar. It was said in the interview or post on IGN I believe. Now I know they also said something about downloading PS1 games and more. But Nintendo has been doing this as well with the VC. So no big surprise there. If they offer their games on the flash medium and available as a download then more profits for them if they can pull it off and my hats off to them.

Sure, Nintendo is coming out with the 3DS, so Sony decided to come out with "PSP2". Sony just copies Microsoft and Nintendo, not that Microsoft is completely original either.

Once again, Sony, I am disappoint.

Would you say Nintendo copied Sony if the PSP NGP was announced first? Either way you look at it, this is what is done in just about any industry. One company puts out something you have a hand in so now you have to show that you are at least still in the running. Especially true after the PSP Go failure.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I believe it was said they would use a flash based medium like a SD Card or something similar. It was said in the interview or post on IGN I believe. Now I know they also said something about downloading PS1 games and more. But Nintendo has been doing this as well with the VC. So no big surprise there. If they offer their games on the flash medium and available as a download then more profits for them if they can pull it off and my hats off to them.

Would you say Nintendo copied Sony if the PSP NGP was announced first? Either way you look at it, this is what is done in just about any industry. One company puts out something you have a hand in so now you have to show that you are at least still in the running. Especially true after the PSP Go failure.

I agree with Axle. Downloading games is stupid, I rather have a physical disc with a case, artwork, and manual. I don't think he meant it for the older games, but the way the PSP Go did it. The virtual console is a whole different ball game.

And again, just like Axle said, systems will copy from each other and there's nothing wrong with that. I agree on that part, but here's the big flaw. Out of the three major gaming companies, Sony is the least original therefore I see them as failures at times. They need to do something that makes them one of a kind instead of waiting to steal ideas. Nintendo was the first to have motion, vibrating controls, 3D, hand helds we all know and love, and wireless controls. This was all Nintendo. Sony then comes out with a failure of a hand held, and the Move. None of this is new and none of this makes Sony unique. Don't get me wrong, I like Playstation but not as much as I like my Nintendo and XBOX. And no I'm not a "Playstation hater". I know Microsoft copies too, but they still manage to be more original. They added replay value to video games with achievements, they perfected online gaming, and even one upped motion controls with Kinect. And like I've stated before, the PSP2 still seems promising. I can't find a flaw as of now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom