• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Mysterious Magical Sword

Masked Bastard

formerly Captain B
This sword was basically there in the very beginning of the Zelda series, but completely disappeared after the Master Sword was introduced. I would presume that it is a special sword in Hyrule, though to what degree is unclear (did the wooden sword actually shoot beams? What about the White? How different is the Magical from these?)

Now, some folks have theorized that the Magical Sword and the Master Sword are one and the same. After all, the sword can shoot beams at full health (though again, I gotta ask how unique of a property this is) and Link carries it throughout the entirety of Zelda II. In fact, The Magical Sword is the signature weapon of the Hero of Hyrule. However, the pacing for the original game would betray this idea (at best you can get it before Level 5 and that takes some work), not to mention that you find it under a tombstone in the middle of a cemetary on Death Mountain (Kakariko Village?) Statistically, the two swords have a very similar attack power, but also physically look completely different. Although there is one or two depictions of a bluish Magical Sword, most interpretations are either red or (more often) gold-hilted, and the blade looks very different, with a blood trench running down the middle.

In all likelihood the Magic Sword has simply fallen into irrelevance, but I wanted to hear other people's take on this.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
how does that explain the completely different hilt and blade?

weathering alone would account for the differing looks of each weapon, erosion of the patterns as well, new blade if it became to notched to be useful. But in the long run good ol wear and tear, if a broom head wears out we replace it and if the hande wears out we replace it but is it the same broom, nope. SO they could be one and the same but totally different.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I don't really know if the magical sword is supposed to be the Master Sword, all I know is that with the implementing of the Master Sword the “magical sword” just really has no need to be around since the master sword is like the trademark weapon for Link now.

Masked Bastard

formerly Captain B
That's the best possible guess I can come up with too. Again, also the context for it being the Master Sword is just very wrong. Although it becomes his signature weapon, he just finds it under a tombstone late in the game and it admittedly kinda sucks in the sequel. Even at ATK Lv 8 the beams just....

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
I have a theory about this but I'm afraid that if I try to share it, people will disagree, deny it, and think I'm crazy or something like always.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I have a theory about this but I'm afraid that if I try to share it, people will disagree, deny it, and think I'm crazy or something like always.

Go ahead and share it bro... think of it like this, screw everyone else. Besides I think everyone is so used to your theories being a bit “out there” that it won't really matter. Just share it as long as you are having fun devising it.

Masked Bastard

formerly Captain B
before anyone argues against the pacing argument, I just want to remind everyone about the White Sword. You get that about the point when you would have gotten the Master Sword otherwise. Aside from having a blue hilt though it doesn't do much to convince me. Besides, way to unceremoniously shove it aside for the Magical Sword :P

Djinn

and Tonic
Given all the chances Nintendo has had in the past to change the naming scheme to Master Sword over the years, they have still kept the title magical sword for the item in LoZ. They could have altered it some in the GBA or Gamecube ports, or the anniversary edition. But the swords remains the same. So since Nintendo has decided against retroactively changing the name even though they have with a few other aspects of the series I would continue to assume the LoZ magical sword is a different sword.

Plus it was a separate weapon in Soul Calibur and Hyrule Warriors
HW_Magical_Sword.png

Magic_Sword_and_Magic_Shield.png

Plus I like the idea of there being other powerful swords in the world besides the master sword.

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
Go ahead and share it bro... think of it like this, screw everyone else. Besides I think everyone is so used to your theories being a bit “out there” that it won't really matter. Just share it as long as you are having fun devising it.

I will in future videos cause I tend to explain things better in videos, especially when it's in some kind story telling or fan-fiction fashion.

YOu and i may not get along so great Vita but i do like your theories they tend to be thought provoking and well thought out, they are nice to read

Wow Shironagi, that's actually the nicest thing you said to me this far. Thank you. :)

It would be nice if we can just be nicer to each other like this from now on and put our differences aside as past.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Wow Shironagi, that's actually the nicest thing you said to me this far. Thank you. :)

It would be nice if we can just be nicer to each other like this from now on and put our differences aside as past.

More than happy to, i do like your theories though they are fun to read, and by in the past do you mean Link to the past ^^

I thought I was the only one who thought about that sword.
I'm open to the idea it's the Master Sword, or it's a similar sword that isn't as strong since it didn't destroy Ganon.

SpiteChaotic

The lazy Chaos Bringer
Obviously there were more sword spirits out there. One becoming the magical sword. A sword that is probably less picky but seems to occassionally falls back into link's hands once in awhile. Usually when not in hyrule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom