• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Most Useless Item in Zelda Series

Which is the most useless item in Zelda series?

• Giant's knife(OoT)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Grappling hook(WW)

• Silver Gauntlets(OoT)

• Don Gero Mask(MM)

• Other

• Total voters

Tony

Stardust Crusaders
Ice Arrows from OoT. They were fun to use and I admit I used them a lot, but all the pain and suffering that went in to get them wasn't worth it. I love the Ice Arrows but they are pretty useless.

Master Sword13

thatjoshoverthere
There's a TON of items I find useless, but I say the Longshot from OoT. I know it's weird, but if they just had the Hookshot go a longer distance they could've based the Water Temple from OoT of something completely different! I just think it's kind of useless to just get an item that you basically already have, but that's my opinion.

I would have to say the Ice arrows from OoT.
Every weapon item in the game is needed for something.

But the Ice arrows are not essential for anything.
They are hard enough to get,having to do the maze of locked doors in the Gerudo training ground.

romani64

PASTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
the lanturn, magic powder, bombchus (in MM).
ther is a lot more, but these are what i think are the MOST useless.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
the lanturn, magic powder, bombchus (in MM).
ther is a lot more, but these are what i think are the MOST useless.

The bombchus were useless in both games. They only had two actual uses in each. Well, actually, they didn't need to be used at all in Majora's Mask to beat the game. But still...

And Magic Powder wasn't useless. That stuff did a lot of useful things.

Djinn

and Tonic
Strange, I found so many uses for the grappling hook of WW, that I commonly had it as my secondary item. The other choices listed I do not completely agree with either, since it makes sense to me that there are silver gauntlets in games since Nintendo meant to only open a few areas to you at an early point in the game. But then reward you with the ability to go anywhere later with the gold gauntlets. The Giant's knife also since it was meant to be relatively useless and only another "whatever" item for the trade sequence. It was never intended to be an item for any real use in the inventory. I would only really want to count things that are inventory items that are not replaced or only for sidequests.

The Dominion Rod would be at the top of my list. And I have always thought that it could have been one of the most useful items in the game. But it was only useful in the temple it was discovered in and then used to unlock the pathway to the next temple. After that it was taking up space in the inventory. An item that gives you the ability to control and move statues anywhere you want sounds like something that would used everywhere, but there are only a small handfull of those statues present. Without more statues to control, you only have a strange glow rod that cannot be used in any other temple or against any enemies.

Farore's Wind I never used, nor even considered using. I am not completely sure why either, I just never thought to use it anywhere. It just never came off as anything usable for me at all.

And any time the shovel make an appearance I am never happy with it. It is normally just for discovering a single item, and maybe a heart piece or two then it is thing worthless thing filling space in the inventory. It has no other applications outside of a couple obvious locations for story purposes but it cannot be used for anything else. Like the dominion rod, it is a product of poor implementation. There should at least be several more areas to use it, or maybe it could have been used to uncover rupees and hearts similar to cutting grass. Or maybe add a couple walls in dungeons that could be tunneled through if you just so happen to have it at the time. It does not have to be specifically useful for a certain area, just something to play with on a second playthrough.

ironknuckle1

Archer Extraordinaire
I dont think the Don Gero's mask or the silver gauntlets deserve to be on the poll. The Don gero's mask is actually pretty useful because it allows you to go on an interesting sidequest for a heart piece and if you are basing it off that is all it can do then I would have to say that most of the masks in MM had about the same usefullness. Their seemed to only be a few non transformation masks that had really any main use. I dont think the silver gauntlets deserve to be on their because they were a great addition that allowed you to try to find new areas by picking up the heavier rocks. If anything the Golden gauntlets should be on here for being nothing more then an upgraded silver gauntlet.

But I would have to say the most useless item was the Giant's knife or the razor sword since each in its own could only be used for a limited time with more power then the original sword.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
LoZ - The Book of Magic

I'm pretty sure it actually makes the Magical Rod LESS effective against certain enemies. No thanks!

AoL - The Cross

You only need it to see blue eyes, and only in a couple parts of the game. You can beat the game without it.

ALttP - Ice Rod

The Ether Medallion did basically what this thing did, and did it better. The Ether Medallion was used to open a dungeon, too. The Fire Rod was used as a dungeon item, AND could kill enemies... but not this thing. It was only useful against Trinexx, near the end of the game.

LA - No useless items in this game. Okay, I guess I have to give Nintendo credit for this one, ALL the items are useful.

OoT - The Masks.

They don't really do anything. But they were still fun, and kind of foreshadowed Majora's Mask.

MM - The Circus Leader's Mask.

You can't get it until after you've helped Cremia without it, anyway, and all it does is stop the Gorman brothers from attacking you.

OOA/OOS - Still no useless items. I guess the limitations of the Game Boy's memory forced them to be efficient.

WW - The Telescope.

But it has sentimental value, and can help with role-playing, I guess.

MC - Yet again, no useless items. The GBA was still forcing them to be efficient.

TP - The Hawkeye.

I never needed it in the game, and I can't really imagine how it would be useful unless you were playing on a very small screen.

PH - The Fishing Rod and Big Catch Lure.

It's only used for a few sidequests.

ST - No useless items... again. The portable games have a pretty good reputation here.

ironknuckle1

Archer Extraordinaire
LoZ - The Book of Magic

I'm pretty sure it actually makes the Magical Rod LESS effective against certain enemies. No thanks!

AoL - The Cross

You only need it to see blue eyes, and only in a couple parts of the game. You can beat the game without it.

ALttP - Ice Rod

The Ether Medallion did basically what this thing did, and did it better. The Ether Medallion was used to open a dungeon, too. The Fire Rod was used as a dungeon item, AND could kill enemies... but not this thing. It was only useful against Trinexx, near the end of the game.

LA - No useless items in this game. Okay, I guess I have to give Nintendo credit for this one, ALL the items are useful.

OoT - The Masks.

They don't really do anything. But they were still fun, and kind of foreshadowed Majora's Mask.

You can't get it until after you've helped Cremia without it, anyway, and all it does is stop the Gorman brothers from attacking you.

OOA/OOS - Still no useless items. I guess the limitations of the Game Boy's memory forced them to be efficient.

WW - The Telescope.

MC - Yet again, no useless items. The GBA was still forcing them to be efficient.

TP - The Hawkeye.

I never needed it in the game, and I can't really imagine how it would be useful unless you were playing on a very small screen.

ST - No useless items... again. The portable games have a pretty good reputation here.

I agree with all of these that you put up except one. I think in TP the most useless item was the sinker lure because you only needed it to catch the Hylian Loach and most people didnt even know how or where to get it. But other then that I agree with all of your choices.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I agree with all of these that you put up except one. I think in TP the most useless item was the sinker lure because you only needed it to catch the Hylian Loach and most people didnt even know how or where to get it. But other then that I agree with all of your choices.

Actually, you're probably right. The fact is, I didn't even know that there WAS a sinking lure in TP. I played through the whole game twice, and I never noticed it. I guess that proves that it's useless.

I believe the most useless item ever is the Pictograph Box.
Honestly, I believe this item is completely useless compared to all of the other items.

At first I thought it was the Don Gero Mask, but it is useful by getting you the Fierce Deity Mask.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
LoZ - The Book of Magic

AoL - The Cross

ALttP - Ice Rod

OoT - The Masks.

WW - The Telescope.

TP - The Hawkeye.

I'm gonna have to disagree on a couple of these, here. Like the Cross. Um, it makes the game much easier to beat, as the entire Valley of Death is littered with invisible Moas (which are enough of a pain when visible). Not useless at all. The most useless item in AoL would be the Whistle. Yeah, only needed a couple times on the overworld screen and is quite pointless.

I'd disagree with the Hawkeye, too. It allowed for far-off foes to be shot with ease. It's insanely useful in the Bulblin camp at the Arbiter's Grounds, especially since it's always night at that part of the game, no matter what. And it's just handy. The Dominion Rod would be the most useless item in Twilight Princess, as you only need it for a couple parts and could have been replaced with something else.

You seem to misunderstand the concept of "useless." You're treating it like if you baically don't need it for the story (generally, anyway), then it shouldn't be in the game. Wrong. Usefulness in a game is how it can be used in different ways. If there are benefits to it (like travel and such), then it's useful.

The last four masks you unlock, other than the Mask Of Truth, so absolutely nothing in OoT except change what some people will say to you. The other masks were used for the sequence obviously but also could be used in the forest stage, the bunny hood kept monsters from attacking you and the MoT was a least very interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom