• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Medallions.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
What are those medallions in Ocarina of Time? It is said they add their power to your own, but I cannot find any difference in anything. What are their powers? What do they do after Ocarina of Time? I have heard they can be seen in Skyward Sword. Is this true? Then what is their origin? So many questions. Does anyone have answers or ideas?

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
I don't know how to word this, and I sure has hell am not a theorist, but this is my take on it. After Link vanquishes evil in OoT, the sages give him medallions. I suppose that these medallions give Link their support and guidance, hence the adding power part. Their powers are spiritual, I suppose. The medallions have no purpose after OoT, and can be seen as easter eggs in Skyward Sword.

The end, literally.

I've always thought of the medallions as gifts offered to Link after completing a dungeon. These items imbue Link with the power of the respective sages. The medallions also potentially function as tracking devices of sorts communicating with the Sacred Realm allowing the sages to arrive at the end of Ocarina of Time and seal Ganon(dorf).

The medallions are likely created during the Era of Chaos in between Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time when the Sacred Realm is sealed.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
The medallions' symbols can be seen painted on the ceiling of Hylia's Temple - whether they are likenesses of the medallions or the medallions were created using those designs is anyone's guess. They don't seem to give any power in OoT. They're leftover from a scrapped idea involving inserting them into the Ocarina to get special magical abilities, iirc.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Hmm, I just thought of something. You know those medallions in Minish Cap that you can join up with people from around the land and cause something to happen? What if the Sage Medallions are a powered-up form of those? We don't see any actual power from them since they're already complete, but what if the act of giving the Medallions to Link also allows the Sages full access of their own power?

Also, I like the idea of them being tracking devices for the Sages at the end to channel their energy and seal Ganondorf into the Sacred Realm.

felipe970421

Mardek Innanu El-Enkidu
They create a bridge to enter Ganon's castle, so there's that

IMO th medallions are just little macguffins to track your progress, they are like the seals in spirit tracks or the boss remains in Majora's mask

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
The Medallions have no effect on gameplay what-so-ever. They're a plot device. In the same way the Crystals and Pendants were in A Link to the Past or the Triforce Shards were in the original TLoZ, they act as little more than a way to keep score and track your progress through the game on the quest status screen. They are indications of your victories. Trophies.

Contextually, IDK where they come from. They may simply be an emblem to represent their respective sage. When it is stated that "The Sages will add their power to yours" that is a reference to the sealing of Gannon at the end and the sages using their power to provide Link access to his tower. All six sages, plus Link and Zelda (as the seventh) had to work together to seal Gannondorf. This is all story, it has nothing to do with gameplay.

Although, the hacks that have been done on Ocarina of Time have revealed evidence that suggests that early on at least one of the medallions may have been intended to cast some sort of spell, that may have later evolved into one of the three spells Link acquires in his adventure. IIRC it may have been the Wind Medallion, which of course does not appear in OoT, but there is also evidence to suggest there may have been plans for a Sage of Wind and a Wind Temple, that were scrapped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom