• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild The impact BOTW has on you playing previous Zelda games

So the weirdest thing just happened to me; I loaded up TPHD for the first time since seeing the new BoTW trailer.

I always save my game in Hyrule Castle's courtyard. Walking out into Castle Town i had a horrible realization; while its not confirmed some of the ruins in BOTW look like places from OoT and TP, especially TP Castle Town's central fountain.

As i walked by it i had a horrible flashback of the pink energy flying out of Hyrule Castle, apocypse style, and it made me feel rather depressed, much like how Wind Waker bums me out with knowing Hyrule from OoT is dead beneath the waves....

With the ruin and destruction being visited upon Hyrule in BoTW do you think it will make you view other games differently?

Like walking around Castle Town in GP and knowing its going to get flattened when BoTW releases?

The peace TP Castle Town is at is going to seem weird in a few months i'm sure.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I don't think it is the same if the game is centuries after as say if BoTW is just 100 years after TP and you then know some of the people you met in TP were actually melted by purple fireballs.

In Ww I imagine the flood took place a long time after those you met in OOT had died so even though that Hyrule is under the waves you can imagine the people you liked lived happy lives and died nicely.

Zonda

Meme Connoisseur
I was pretty set against getting TPHD, as they didn't do enough to it in my eyes to warrant getting it when I already had the Wii version.

Breath of the Wild changed that with its advertised use of the Wolf Link amiibo. I got TPHD as it's currently the only way to obtain the amiibo

Tibari

Rinkuji
Now that BOTW hyped me, I can't play any rpg game without saying to myself "This is not as good as BOTW may be" so I have less fun playing other zelda games. However I don't care about the fact that everything is in ruins and everyone in previous games could be dead.

Mido

Version 1
I cannot quite say that BOTW's impending release has changed the way I view other games in the series as I played them, but if there is any aspect of BOTW that has sent off into influence on me, it would be the gorgeous landscapes. Playing TPHD at this time, I find myself often taking time to revel in how marvelous some of the landscapes and skies are, especially in places like Snowpeak. BOTW seems to promise this in an even greater frequency!

I replayed twilight princess at the HD remake launch, and knowing how Breath of the Wild is all about exploring, I focussed more on exploration in this game too! First time I ever collected near everything in a Zelda game and without much help from guides (only for those damn bugs. They are close to invisble on certain spots.)

So I actually played Breath of the Wild at E3. Spent a good 3 hours with it (Wii U version).

I uh... hmm. It's hard to say but the story implications aren't what get me comparing to older games. Seeing ruins, etc. Like obviously there is a pretty big event that happened we will be learning about. What gets me however is just how GOOD BoTW is. At least, for as much as I could play. Like, it makes playing older Zelda games, even TPHD, feel... outdated and messy. Clunky controls, really stupid AI, etc. It did something I am not sure any other video game has done to me before - it made me realize just how much better Zelda can be, and with that promise and feel, older titles now feel... old.

It's an odd sensation. Breath of the Wild just feels like what Zelda was always meant to be. It's really strange and it's a feeling I can't explain. So yes, it impacts me playing older games - by which the older games seem so antiquated in comparison it's like they are side projects and we've been waiting for this game all along.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Characters aren't nearly fleshed out enough in Zelda games for me to muster up the ability to care.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom