• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Future of the Hylian Knight Usergroup

Should the HK rank be kept?

• Keep the HK rank

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Do not keep the HK rank

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
At this point I would like to see this entire thing as an experiment: we get the community's opinion now, wait till October (and a little while after) and see how the new system works. After that, we get the community's opinion again. If they're still against HKs by then, then the rank gets trashed for good, but if not then the new system gets to stay around for a little while longer.

Thoughts?

At this point I would like to see this entire thing as an experiment: we get the community's opinion now, wait till October (and a little while after) and see how the new system works. After that, we get the community's opinion again. If they're still against HKs by then, then the rank gets trashed for good, but if not then the new system gets to stay around for a little while longer.

Thoughts?

We should just delete the HKs right now.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General

Thoughts?

I feel like we should do that.

Why remove the group right when they implemented their new system that they've been working on for a while now?

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
A lot of us feel like it doesn't matter what system they implement, the entire concept is flawed and unfixable. So it doesn't matter how "successful" they may be if we wait, my opinion at least will stay the same.

I feel that you may have explained this in another post but I'm not exactly which one, so can you tell me what specifically is flawed/unfixable about it?

Firice da Vinci

Distinct lack of Leonardo
Well, I feel like a lot of people are being way too close minded about this and aren't giving it a chance.
Isn't it always torn like this though? Remember the last community poll we had with the "Member of the Month" thing? It was pretty much the same way. I'm not wanting to start an argument; just placing a point of reference.

Well, I feel like a lot of people are being way too close minded about this and aren't giving it a chance.

Please explain why you feel the Hylian Knight user group should be given a chance to remain. Keep in mind, the topic is not about whether or not the election process was/is flawed, but whether or not the concept of the rank is flawed.

---
Honestly, I think the poll should be removed for now and restarted after we've had time to properly think about this. If that's possible.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Okay I'm going to give my personal opinion about the HK's. Like Thar I'm actually indifferent if it stays or goes. I can see why other members are thinking the rank has no use. And to be honest it doesn't have that same purpose anymore as it use to have. Thanks to too much negativity in the past the HK rank has become some sort of "joke" in the eyes of many members. It's a shame because the HK system as it is now is doing well. Yes it all took a long time but that was also thanks to the way the rank was going the way before. We had new HK's every month and this gave people the feeling of some sort of popularity. I myself have been guilty of thinking that way too back in 2010 before I went into inactivity for a long time. I do believe the current HK's are doing their best all they can. Matt and Thareous have been working on the new system for a long time. It is paying off now. But I also think we should take the community into this decision to leave it up or not as well. As ALIT stated Mases wants to know what the community thinks. I think it's alright to have an opinion and let the people speak.

I prsonally think that it might be a good idea to -instead of voting- reach HK status by number of post. Let's say 5000 or 7000. And yes there will be people who say spammy post will happen but that can be avoided by disable post accounts in certain parts of the forums. But hey who am I?

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Honestly, I think the poll should be removed for now and restarted after we've had time to properly think about this. If that's possible.

Best suggestion in the thread. Should have been discussed and then a poll put up later, since I'm betting most people came in, voted, then posted. I did. Discussion is pointless if people have already voted, it's just everyone shouting their opinions at people who can't change their vote no matter what points are made.

I feel that you may have explained this in another post but I'm not exactly which one, so can you tell me what specifically is flawed/unfixable about it?

Well, a couple things.

First of all, I feel like the very definition of Role Model is kind of nebulous. The HK criteria have done a decent job of trying to define it, but again I don't feel it's satisfactory. People will interpret it their own ways make it fit the mold of whoever they want to be an HK. True, the HKs have weeded out a lot of those undeserving people we had a while back but down the road I fear it could happen again. All it takes is one person with power to mess things up again like a few years ago. The nebulous definition and the idea of a role model in itself also create the feeling that HKs are to be treated as higher and better than other members. It doesn't help that the voting process is highly secretive and no one really knows what goes on in it.

I guess the short and simple of my first point is that I think it causes unneeded division.

I also think it discourages people to continue to write good posts once they get the rank and they become complacent. I think an award system could be a decent idea to try. I mean at least then if you keep posting well you can keep winning awards etc. I think awards at least seem to convey a different feeling then a rank does, as the award member is still just a regular member. I don't know, this is just kind of stream of consciousness here.

I also admit part of it is my own misgivings, I don't like the idea that people can make threads about me to judge if I am worthy of some elite club of theirs or something. But that's just a bit of a paranoia thing on my part :P

I still don't like the idea of giving someone a rank for being a "good member", but if it were more public and everyone had an input I could probably stomach it a little better.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
Please explain why you feel the Hylian Knight user group should be given a chance to remain. Keep in mind, the topic is not about whether or not the election process was/is flawed, but whether or not the concept of the rank is flawed.

---

Because I truly did feel that HKs were doing what they were meant to do, be role models.

People like Thareous, Vanessa, Mandy, Wolf Sage, Azure, and countless other I can't think of off the top of my head. Those were people I looked up to for the longest time and still do. I know they don't need the rank to be role models. I still look up to Mandy, Azure, and Wolf despite them stepping down, but the rank just helps these individuals stand out though. They help new members out and set an example better than anyone else can. It makes the people that new members should see as role models stand out more, because these people set good examples for the members.

I still don't like the idea of giving someone a rank for being a "good member", but if it were more public and everyone had an input I could probably stomach it a little better.

Bias would be far more of a problem if regular members vote for HKs tbh

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
But what if we have HKs acting badly? It's happened before. It might make a new member think twice if a supposed role model starts acting a way a role model isn't supposed to. Even if the new system is improved, people can change once they get the purple or over time.

Demote them

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
But what if we have HKs acting badly? It's happened before. It might make a new member think twice if a supposed role model starts acting a way a role model isn't supposed to. Even if the new system is improved, people can change once they get the purple or over time.
Demotion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom