• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Future of the Franchise Theory

H

Hands of Zues

So far of what we know, there is expected 2 Zelda games in the near future, one for the Wii u and Nintendo 3DS. I believe that there is room on the timeline for the 2 games, and possibly a third. I think that this is so due to the fact that there appears to be 3 open slots on the recently released Timeline. If you look after Skyward Sword and Majora's Mask there is a line were the era would go. Almost as if the is I think that they left those 3 slots open to add in more games. And since the era under Majora's mask is directly above Twilight Princess, I believe they will make a prequel to that game. While the other looks like a sequel to Skyward due to the 2 eras between Skyward and Minish. This may be what I think, but it seems like a possibility. Then there is a third, under Hyrule's decline. That might be a great spot for a game so it can elaborate on how Ganon defeated Link. Since there is 2 games planned to be released, they have 3 possibilities. This way they can test out how each game would work on the new hard wares. I have always believed that the story is always a little planned ahead so this just reinforces my theory. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• ztime.jpg
    ztime.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 31

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Interesting,though Axle the beast's future of zelda theory makes more sense,you should check it out on the main page.As for your theory,I'm not sure,I actually think they will take a break from making prequels,mostly because skyward sword is a prequel to almost every game.I think they will put something at the end of the timeline and make a new game with freash experiances,but yet use old things in new ways.

H

Hands of Zues

Yes I read that prior to posting this, and it does make sense. But when does Zelda do the expected? Its always surprising. I would like to see them add to the end, but if we get a prequel to twilight, or one to skyward, it would still be nice. I think he has a smart idea, but like before the timeline came out most people accepted the double split, then they added a third. With zelda you never know.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Oh,you are a new member!!! grear first post,I remember my first post,I layed it all on the table,It was really long.Anyway I don't think they would make a prequel before SS,and a prequel to twilight would be wierd,if anything they would make a game between Mc and SS.I would rather see a new game all together at the end of the timeline.

H

Hands of Zues

It would be excellent to have one at the end of timeline, but i never said one before SS. I would hate that. But the blanks are there, you can't look over them.

R

Rando Roots

I don't think anything is really planned out... Doesn't it seem like they've just been winging it when it comes to the timeline and where the new games fall? Haven't they said that they concentrate on the game mechanics first and then worry about where it goes? I don't care where the next Zelda game falls in the timeline, I just want to play it (original 3DS title!)

I love it! I've been talking about this all night on other boards. What I keep saying is, there are soo many intriguing directions they can go to. There are connections between the Twili and the Demons from the handheld series / Alttp etc. There needs to be more said about the Sheika and their connection with these demons vs. the families. Also I think there is a strong connection between the GoldenLand-turned-Dark-Realm from A Link to The Past, The alternate dimension from Majora's Mask or the Demons who created the mask, and the worlds we met in Twilight Princess. Some even speculate the Majora's mask turns into the Fused Shadow. That would be a nod toward a connection between MM and TP. I can't wait to see what happens.

* * * Addition * * *

Thanks for the map! I haven't seen a graphical one yet. I would LOVE to see a game in the slot you pointed out. The era of prosperity and the creation of a government and medieval Hyrule kingdom would be fascinating for a plot. The skyloftians and what made the royal family so mysterious and magical besides Zelda, obviously) would be neat.

Also the slot below it, the Chaos era reminded me of this:
Chaos.jpg

From the whole goddess sequence in Ocarina of Time.

I want to know how they formed the alliances with the magical deku tree and the royal family that leads the Zoras. I also want to know how the Zora seemed to lose their royal status (and evolved). So much to get into. It reminds me of the Song of Fire and Ice books. Zelda plays out like a fantasy novel in ways that movies never could. I hope they realize that this is their strength and keep up the good work in the next chapter.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who thinks that the timeline is so dang convoluted now that they should just do it away altogether and reboot the whole thing? Start a new timeline...
I mean it seems after every game more contradictions and more questions rise. I just think it would be good to build a new game and have it be a completely separate timeline that's unrelated to the old one in every way.

Plus with Hyrule Historia out it would make that book a great tribute to the old games/timeline. A look back as we move on to a new world kind of thing...

unknown

._.. .. _. _._ morse code
I think that how it was said that a game explaining how ganon defeated link would not appeal to many people, at least me. I don't want to go through a brand new zelda game that I got all excited about to have the ending cutscene with ganon killing link. In my opinion I think that having the 2 branches is fine and I don't want a game showing how link DIED.

No, you're not, Seth haha. :cucco:

I read a translation of Hyrule Historia and in a section where Eiji Aonuma speaks to the fans, he talks humbly about how they are kind of discovering as they go along. I respect people like that. They're like, "Listen fans: we stumbled on a gold mine, we didn't really know the potential directions we could take the series when we were making Nintendo games back in the 80's ad 90's. Now that we see how cool we can make this we're - err - trying to make it work"

This whole timeline is forced, and not. It's good and not good. I've always loved how Zelda is like a game that sucks me in to a fantasy story, but instead of reading pages, I have the opportunity to play the game and BE the protagonist. The series makes me love characters and plots the same way I love books. In the end, I love that the story line simply makes the games more like a big ol' series of fantasy books. It could be good. This is the first step they (officially/on the record) have taken in that direction, so lets give them time. Let them make us a few games that will flesh out the chronological story line. As loyal fans, we'll be here when they want to make their voice heard and show us the giant, interconnected adventure they want to turn this series into. Personally, the sheer idea of it makes me geek out.

:sweat: Here's to another 2 to 4 excruciating years of patiently waiting for the NEXT zelda title!!! :sweat:

Although I haven't finished Skyward Sword to be certain, the Skyward Split that I've heard about could have been what caused the failed timeline. It isn't until Ocarina of Time where the split in the timeline makes a difference, and that is what decides Link's fate in that game.

As much as people are tired of remakes, I think that there is some good to come out of them. As more games are released, and the mythos is expanded, older games can be revisited and slightly altered to clear up contradictions. As for future games, there should be more games with the Four Sword. The Palace of the Four Sword's canonicity is debatable, and I haven't played Four Sword's Adventure, but I think it's possible for the Four Sword to make more appearances on each timeline.

There needs to be a sequel to Adventure of Link so that that timeline can finally move forward. The Hero of Time needs to go on his final adventure so he can finally reunite with Navi, unless he never did and that's why he became the Hero's Shade. I need to read that section again. There should also be an interquel set between Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass, so that the Hero of Winds can go on his final adventure and then we can see how he and Tetra's crew made it to New Hyrule.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I'm moving this to World of Zelda. The only actual evidence regarding future game placements were fully addressed in the OP. The discussion since then hasn't been theory material and probably won't be since there's no way of deducing or inducing future developer intent.

As for my thoughts... yeah, those would be decent places for new games. They'd have to be a little careful between MM and TP though, with Ganondorf and the ToP locked away in the TR. I'd rather they move further in the future though. Continue after ST's New Hyrule, or better yet open up old Hyrule on the AT (i.e. GDT's success - canonize it). There's also plenty of room after FSA where Ganon isn't even dead (though FSA itself is horribly placed).

I'd love for those blank spots to get filled in. But I'd also like them to start a new era, preferably one after Four Swords Adventures, since I think having Ganon trapped in a sword could lead to some interesting ideas.

I'm moving this to World of Zelda. The only actual evidence regarding future game placements were fully addressed in the OP. The discussion since then hasn't been theory material and probably won't be since there's no way of deducing or inducing future developer intent.

As for my thoughts... yeah, those would be decent places for new games. They'd have to be a little careful between MM and TP though, with Ganondorf and the ToP locked away in the TR. I'd rather they move further in the future though. Continue after ST's New Hyrule, or better yet open up old Hyrule on the AT (i.e. GDT's success - canonize it). There's also plenty of room after FSA where Ganon isn't even dead (though FSA itself is horribly placed).

Hey,
I'm sorry to bug you with annoying questions about technical stuff (I just looked all over the website and google, trying to answer it myself) but I'm having trouble understanding you. If you don't mind, could you please clarify what the abbreviations are in your post? I can usually figure them out but I am having trouble deciphering ToP, AT, and GDT (I usually see this as great deku tree, but in this sentence I can't figure out the context).

It would actually be most helpful if you could point me into the direction of a locked thread, sticky (updated, though), or website which holds all of the well known acronyms and abbreviations. If you know one. If not it's cool; I just wanted to know the definitions of those abbreviations so I could hear what you had to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom