• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time The Fire Temple Chant & Gerudo Symbol

Do you like the original or new Fire Temple theme and Gerudo Symbol?

• Original. It's the best.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newer. I hate them.

• I don't know.

• Total voters

Lamentizer

Skeleton Of The Darkness
Hello Zelda Dungeoners. Today I'll be taking a look at the lost chant of the Fire Temple and the lost Gerudo Symbol from Ocarina Of Time. First off, I've always found the chant to sound cool. The chant was original in the N64 version, but then later removed due to "complaints" from the muslim community. This removal really ticked me off at first. It's the same as removing the opening theme from the Star Wars films. It's pretty boring to just read "It is a period of civil war..." without the epic music. The same goes for the Fire Temple. But I can say that I've gotten used to not hearing it. But let's see why it should not have been removed.

The first time I heard the chant, I didn't even hear any religious words. There's a part where you can hear "Allah", and another part that translates to something like "I bear witness that there is no god but Allah". When I heard the chant for the first time, I didn't "Allah", I heard "Ah-lalalalah". I didn't hear a religious chant, I heard something that sounded like "Ep eh ****-ah rain-ny".

Now let's take a look at the Gerudo Symbol. This is the newer version that is found on the GameCube release an onward:
lozgerudosymbolbycherry.png

And here's the original (below). It can be "confused" with a religious symbol (to the right).
lozoldgerudosymbolbycheyy.png
crescent-200.gif

But how can you? There's a lot of differences between these two. The Gerudo Symbol is the the complete opposite directions as the religious symbol. The muslim symbol has a star with five points, the Gerudo symbol has a diamond with four points. The moon on the muslim symbol is almost opened half-way, the Gerudo symbol's moon is almost closed. The star on the Gerudo symbol is way off center, while the religious symbol's star is almost dead center.

So why would Nintendo feel the need to censor this stuff? Yeah, I can understand changing Ganon's blood from red to green, but why the other stuff? Do you guys agree with these changes?

Demise_

Gwoh hoh hoh!
Actually, I mind Ganondorf's blood more than these. I mean, come one, I beat up the final boss in the game and he... pukes in front of me? Or is he some kind of insect-like alien with green blood? :bleh:

BOT though, I find the original Fire Temple music way better. The first time I played OOT, I was like, "Why is the Fire Temple's music the same as the Shadow Temple's?". Then when I heard the original, I realised how bland the new one is. Sure, it's nearly identical to the Shadow Temple's one and I don't complain about that one; but then the latter is a horror temple, with an earie and repetitive tune, not at all like a Fire Temple theme should sound like. (Also, I do complain about ST's music - it's the most annoying music in OoT IMO. =P)

As for the symbol, I don't really mind. The new one isn't worse. I can understand though why they changed it - it is similar, and since you had to step on it all the time, smack it with the hammer, and also since it represent the thief tribe, I can understand some complaints.

DekuPrincess

Are you serious?!?
I have never thought there was enough similarity between the Gerudo symbol/Muslim symbol and the Fire Temple music/Muslim chant to warrant changing them, however, I am not Muslim. I can't imagine Nintendo would have expended the effort and cost to make these changes if there hadn't been a significant response from the Islamic community, and if people really are offended by it then I respect Nintendo's choice to be sensitive to that response. It would have been nice, though, if they had made a better replacement theme for the Fire Temple, as the new one is pretty lame.

Also, I totally agree with this:

Actually, I mind Ganondorf's blood more than these. I mean, come one, I beat up the final boss in the game and he... pukes in front of me? Or is he some kind of insect-like alien with green blood? :bleh:

Of course, he also has green skin and turns into a pig, so possibly he is an alien.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
I don't mind it, but the green blood is stupid. It's only in one scene, and there are other parts of the game that are more scary. Redeads, the Shadow Temple...heck, the Shadow Temple even has puddles of red blood! I don't see why they can have puddles of blood, yet the final boss has to look like he's puking or blowing his nose because it might be too gory for the kids...let's be honest here, if a kid can handle getting humped to death by zombies and seeing torture chambers, they can certainly handle seeing the bad guy bleed.

The first time I played OOT, I was like, "Why is the Fire Temple's music the same as the Shadow Temple's?".
I don't think they sound similar at all...

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
As a Muslim, I can say I was offended by the Fire Temple music simply because of context; makes us all seem like crazy cultists when in fact we're not. But aside from that, the music itself sounded great. I also adored the original Mirror Shield/Gerudo symbol infinitely more than the new one. I feel the changes themselves were justified, but I do not like what they were changed to.

The green blood thing is everything stupid, though. Really you could've kept the red blood and it'd make no difference, especially in OoT3D where it's already E10+.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Perhaps the Japanese didn't know what they had, when one considers where they are.

Anyway I might not mind it as a Muslim. Its an allusion to your religion that doesn't seem negative. It a cool background theme, not really directed as offensive It seems more positive than anything. As a Christian, I didn't mind the allusions in the first three games. Its more an interesting look at a faith than anything.

Just feel lucky this is a far as the controversy goes. The Catholic Church and its followers are abused, lied about, blasphemed, and misrepresented in a bandwagon of hatred throughout modern pop culture. I still look at all the churches and crosses and censored stuff from the original games as interesting but fitting given the style they went for.

As for the Spell Book in LoZ being the Bible in Japan, I find it purely humorous.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Anyway I might not mind it as a Muslim. Its an allusion to your religion that doesn't seem negative. It a cool background theme, not really directed as offensive It seems more positive than anything. As a Christian, I didn't mind the allusions in the first three games. Its more an interesting look at a faith than anything.

It's the theme of a dangerous area that hosts a necromance'd dragon. Most people immediately "connected the dots" and it was instantly labeled as negative. I personally see the negativity even if it wasn't intended. Also, it's important to note that people in different areas of the world think drastically different. For example, where raising your thumb up can be seen as congratulations in some parts of the world, in others raising a thumb up means "up your butt". It's just differences.

Also, as for the comment about Japanese not knowing what it was, they definitely knew it was as you can see here:
Episode 09: The Fire Temple Chants | Pop-Fiction Full Episodes | GameTrailers

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I realize different symbols mean different things to different people, but one must realize intent plays a large role, as does depiction. I am imagining songs similar to those used in different religions played in the Fire Temple, and I can't see it as really that bad. A direct and obvious Muslim chant could be considered poor, I doubt Nintendo means to offend anyone. It's really a cool sound-effect used for atmosphere. Nintendo certainly never planned to use it again. I just feel we shouldn't be hard on them, and we shouldn't try to alter the best game ever made.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
The original Fire Temple music is the superior version by miles. Miles. It gives it the feel of an actual TEMPLE, whereas the MIDI voices just sound... ugly. The imagery of walking into the Fire Temple and hearing that glorious chanting for the first time as a 7 year-old boy playing an Action-Adventure game for the first time will forever be embedded into my medulla oblongata, and I will forever resent the decision for it to be changed to what it is now.

As for the original symbol and red blood, I prefer those, too. Well, I guess I don't care either way as far as the symbol goes, but I hate the green blood. Ganondorf's a freaking human. Red blood just makes more sense. It honestly looks more like he's puking in the later versions rather than coughing up blood. The blood only appears for two short moments, at that. The change was... *facepalm*

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
As a Muslim, I can say I was offended by the Fire Temple music simply because of context; makes us all seem like crazy cultists when in fact we're not.
Are you really a Muslim? Wow...not that that's a bad thing though ^_^ But yeah, ever since the 911 attacks, people think all Muslims are terrorists. In reality, it's a religion that's quite similar to Christianity. Both religions are peaceful, but have crazy people that take it too far. Christians haven't done anything like the terrorist attacks...yet. They tend to be more violent with words...it's sad. I myself am a Christian, but I believe that every religion is a different path to heaven. I'll just stop there, this isn't the MD board...

HylianHero

Gardener of Elysium
I like the newer Gerudo symbol just because I think it looks cooler.

The Fire Temple chant- I guess I'm apathetic about that. The new version definitely isn't an improvement, but it captured to some extent what they were going for with the original. And as Ventus testified, it was offensive, so they were right in removing it.

Ganondorf's blood would have been much better if they had kept it red, vomiting blood is more impacting and appropriate for the moment than vomiting vomit is.

I think religion is a very sensitive area in general and Nintendo was wise to alter both the Fire Temple chant and Gerudo Symbol. You have to remember that Nintendo wasn't the established gaming behemoth it is now. With Sega starting the downward trend towards its demise with the Dreamcast and a formidable new competitor-Sony-entering the arena, Nintendo couldn't risk a financial suit.

Regarding the Gerudo Symbol more specifically, there existed the possible compounding of racism also being prosecuted. The developers over at Nintendo aren't racist but black receives a negative connotation in Japan and its likely Miyamoto, Aonuma, and company gave the Gerudos a darker skin hue to accentuate their vices. It's not so much a racial slur as a cultural disconnect.

Always be wary of your actions. Don't do or say something that might affect an individual or group of people.

I prefer the original Gerudo symbol and Fire Temple chant but am content with their respective replacements.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Nintendo was actually a stronger company back in the day. I forget at what point they were overtaken by the PS1. Anyway, Nintendo delivered more quality and more respectable material in this time period. I have no idea how any other company could beat the best console ever: the 64.

Anyway, Nintendo can't be sued for racism, it's not a crime to be racist. They can do whatever they want in that regard.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Regarding the Gerudo Symbol more specifically, there existed the possible compounding of racism also being prosecuted. The developers over at Nintendo aren't racist but black receives a negative connotation in Japan and its likely Miyamoto, Aonuma, and company gave the Gerudos a darker skin hue to accentuate their vices. It's not so much a racial slur as a cultural disconnect.
I'm failing to see what this has to do with the Gerudo Symbol in particular, original or modern versions. It was shown that the Gerudo despite their punctual thievery, at least had a code of ethics behind them. And I don't see how death or any negativity is reflected in the symbols. :I

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom