• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Evolution of the Timeline Debate

But that doesn't mean the developers don't consider it the order of those two games, still.
And it doesn't mean that the interview based on completely different and impossible things is evidence for the order of those two games.
Nothing has definitively disproved ALttP-LoZ (I know you're not arguing that, for the record).
I'd just like to mention that very, very rarely is something definitively disproven. The SW is a perfect example of this. There is seriously no real reason to believe that OoT is the SW. It's still possible, but that 1998 interview doesn't really prove it anymore.

I think that it's the same case with LttP-LoZ (but that LttP-LoZ is might be the likeliest due to other reasons)

But I also think if a game placement has changed, something has to be shown for it other than a "maybe".
I agree. I'm only saying that if you want to prove that LttP-LoZ is the best order (which I think it probably is, but not due to this interview), you need other things other than an interview that's waaaaay outdated.
We can't say for certain if ALttP-LoZ is no longer a valid placement since nothing really contradicts it in current intent (as the placement still works the best, in my opinion).
We can't really say that it's still true without having anything else to support it; because that interview was based on completely different things.

I mean there still are other things to support it, this interview is just too old and was based on too many impossible things now to be one of those things.
But I don't think that the developers have gone completely back on their word. I think that the quote can be used to show the developers may be sticking to their guns, in a way.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems kinda circular. It seems like you're saying that this interview shows that the developers may be sticking to their guns, and that their sticking to their guns is evidence that the interview is still valid today.

I think that there are alternatives now that are possible depending on the circumstances (I think FSA-LoZ is a valid placement and flows very, very, very well). There is evidence for other placements of LoZ, it just depends on your opinion of other games' placements.

Which is why I think trying to use this interview as evidence is pointless, as it's based on slightly circular reasoning (it being a bit circular doesn't mean that the conclusion is wrong, though) and you won't be able to convince anyone who believes different things than you that you're right if you're only using this interview as evidence.

I do agree that LttP-LoZ makes more sense (considering what I think are my current timeline opinions), but trying to convince people who believe things such as FSA-LoZ on a different timeline than LttP with this interview is pointless and a waste of time and effort. This interview doesn't really help prove that LttP-LoZ is the current intent, imo, with the new alternatives that may have evidence that have appeared since TWW.

Pinecove

Last Chance
I'd just like to mention that very, very rarely is something definitively disproven. The SW is a perfect example of this. There is seriously no real reason to believe that OoT is the SW. It's still possible, but that 1998 interview doesn't really prove it anymore.

Funny that you're arguing the exact opposite on ZU.
The '98 quote disproves OoT = SW indefinitely because the connection was direct and then it was broken with TWW.

I do agree that LttP-LoZ makes more sense (considering what I think are my current timeline opinions), but trying to convince people who believe things such as FSA-LoZ on a different timeline than LttP with this interview is pointless and a waste of time and effort. This interview doesn't really help prove that LttP-LoZ is the current intent, imo, with the new alternatives that may have evidence that have appeared since TWW.

Agreed. I think the point Jarsh was trying to make though is that if LoZ and AlttP are on the same timeline, unless you have some sort of a reason to place LoZ before ALttP it should probably come after it.

Funny that you're arguing the exact opposite on ZU.
The '98 quote disproves OoT = SW indefinitely because the connection was direct and then it was broken with TWW.
Not exactly the opposite. The OoT=SW isn't completely disproven, as the same bull**** theory Lex has been spewing out is still possible, except now there is absolutely no reason to believe OoT=SW. Still possible, but now it's clearly just fanfic.

By definitively disproving something, I mean more like how the linear timeline is commonly accepted to be disproven. I doubt that we'll ever be able to get the SW to that point; because we have people who are convincing debaters spewing fanfic as if it's still confirmed (Lex)
Agreed. I think the point Jarsh was trying to make though is that if LoZ and AlttP are on the same timeline, unless you have some sort of a reason to place LoZ before ALttP it should probably come after it.
I agree with Jarsh on this, but I also think that to believe LttP-LoZ, you really need other evidence other than the 1998 interview, as it's just too outdated for reasons mentioned earlier to still be used as evidence for the current intent.

I'll be back later.

Pinecove

Last Chance
Not exactly the opposite. The OoT=SW isn't completely disproven, as the same bull**** theory Lex has been spewing out is still possible, except now there is absolutely no reason to believe OoT=SW. Still possible, but now it's clearly just fanfic.

Okay point taken. Possible =/= intended.

I agree with Jarsh on this, but I also think that to believe LttP-LoZ, you really need other evidence other than the 1998 interview, as it's just too outdated for reasons mentioned earlier to still be used as evidence for the current intent.

Fair enough. I personally think the "Hyrule is one country" is good enough for that. :P

I'll be back later.

No worries dude, see you in 16 hours.

Yeah, instead of four paragraphs on this, I'm going to also go with 'fair enough'. If I wanted to justify a modern ALttP-LoZ placement the interview wouldn't be the first thing I'd use anyhow. Good show, chaps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom