• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Continuation Timeline - Breath of the Wild Timeline Theory

BotW contains too many references to the Child and Adult timelines to fit Downfall "pretty well".

Just listen to Zelda's speech.
She states those as hypotheticals, hence the word ''whether''.

Also the ''Twilight'' reference is ''Tasogare'' in Japanese, the word used to describe the SR in the JP ALttP manual. The word used in TP to describe twilight is ''kage''. And TWW isn't the only time that Link sailed across the sea in search of the golden power(AoL says hi).

https://zeldadungeon.net/forum/thre...ne-placement-of-botw-and-my-conclusion.60315/

Read this topic if you want to know why I think BotW is at the end of the DT.

Although some of the biggest points are Ganon's state and history, Hyrule being in an era of decline, and the sages being remembered(which they are in AoL) in a Hyrule that still exists.

I don't understand Japanese, so I can't comment on that, but if we're counting out the amiibo and DLC, I agree with most of the other points you've raised. One thing I could never understand, however, was the placement of "The Legend of Zelda I" on the timeline. There have been several Princess Zeldas before the sleeping princess in AoL, so how exactly is she Zelda I?

I think your topic proves two things.

1) There are too many contradictions in BotW for it to have a definite placement on the timeline.
2) NoA shouldn't be allowed to localise Zelda games.

I don't understand Japanese, so I can't comment on that, but if we're counting out the amiibo and DLC, I agree with most of the other points.

Well, Amiibos reference all timelines and have no ingame explanation as far as I know, and there is a DLC costume from Xenoblade, so that seems like the best bet.

I agree with most of the other points you've raised. One thing I could never understand, however, was the placement of "The Legend of Zelda I" on the timeline. There have been several Princess Zeldas before the sleeping princess in AoL, so how exactly is she Zelda I?

Because she's the Zelda that founded the naming tradition, even though there were other Zeldas before her.

1) There are too many contradictions in BotW for it to have a definite placement on the timeline.

I agree that there are too many contradictions in the AT and CT for those placements to work(The OoT sages never awoke in the CT, and the AT has a destroyed/lost Hyrule, MS, etc), but do you see any 'deal breakers'' about the DT? Genuinely curious.

2) NoA shouldn't be allowed to localise Zelda games.

It's not the usual part of NoA who localized BotW, though. It was a subset called Treehouse. They're the reason why the MS is called the Sword that seals the Darkness instead of the Blade of Evil's Bane, whereas its title in the JP version is something akin to ''Demon Bane Blade'', the exact same title its had in all other Zeldas that has always been localised to Blade of Evil's Bane until BotW, Or why the English version references Ganon giving up on reincarnation where JP version instead references Ganon repeatedly reviving(a major point for the DT) or why Urbosa says that Ganon only adopted the form of a Gerudo in the English version, while she outright says that he was ORIGINALLY a Gerudo in the JP version.

Also the ''Twilight'' reference is ''Tasogare'' in Japanese, the word used to describe the SR in the JP ALttP manual. The word used in TP to describe twilight is ''kage''.
You're half right... in the Japanese version of TP, most of the names that refer to 'twilight' in the English version do use the term 'kage' (shadow) rather than 'tasogare' (twilight)... however, the fog that Zant creates to cause Hyrule to lose its light (referred to simply as 'twilight' in the English version) is actually referred to as 'トワイライト' (the English word 'twilight' written in Japanese) in the Japanese version, and characters do use the term 'tasogare' when referring to the sort of lighting conditions it creates... and seeing as Zelda is referring to the lighting conditions in her speech, it would make sense for her to use 'tasogare' as this is consistent with how the term was used in TP.

You're half right... in the Japanese version of TP, most of the names that refer to 'twilight' in the English version do use the term 'kage' (shadow) rather than 'tasogare' (twilight)... however, the fog that Zant creates to cause Hyrule to lose its light (referred to simply as 'twilight' in the English version) is actually referred to as 'トワイライト' (the English word 'twilight' written in Japanese) in the Japanese version, and characters do use the term 'tasogare' when referring to the sort of lighting conditions it creates... and seeing as Zelda is referring to the lighting conditions in her speech, it would make sense for her to use 'tasogare' as this is consistent with how the term was used in TP.
From what I read of TP's script, Tasogare is only used once, to refer to the sunset(nothing to do with the twili). Also, if you're going to use the speech to prove CT, keep in mind that the CT is the only branch to not have an event where Link sails across the sea in search of the golden power/Triforce(AT has TWW, DT has AoL), and that the word ''whether'' implies that it's an in-universe hypothetical.

The speech is too vague to be used as proof for a timeline placement, as opposed to the mentions of the later half of OoT having happened in the timeline of BotW(the Zora Monument and Urbosa's speech, which are a lot more detailed and specific), which doesn't happen in the CT, and Hyrule no longer exists in the AT, so...

From what I read of TP's script, Tasogare is only used once, to refer to the sunset(nothing to do with the twili).
The scene where the phrase 'tasogare' is used actually refers to Hyrule and the Twilight Realm intersecting with one another, so that forms an association between the two right near the start of the game, and the fact that the same lighting conditions occur when Hyrule is affected by the 'トワイライト' further reinforces that connection.
The term 'tasogare' is used as a description, rather than a specific name for something (which is how 'トワイライト' and 'kage' are used).
Zelda's speech in BotW doesn't refer to any of the events specifically by using any names... it describes them.
Using the terms 'トワイライト' or 'kage' would basically be comparable to using terms like Skyloft, Loftwings, the Great Flood, the Great Sea, etc.... it would be far too specific for that speech.

As it is, they leave that whole speech very vague... the events they are describing are clearly meant to remind us of specific games, but there's no indication that they are actually referring to those events specifically... similar events, yes, but not necessarily the same events.
For the record, I don't think BotW takes place within any of the three established timelines... I'm in favour of a fourth timeline.

The whole ''Zelda's speech is referring to similar events that happened on another branch'' is one way of looking at it, yes.

I've also heard the idea that she's referring to the actual events of the games we played, but with the speech being a prophecy before the timeline split, allowing it to mention all those games even on the DT(or whatever timeline you place BotW in).

Or that she's referring to the events of SS, OoT, ALttP, and AoL(if the speech is taken as a reading of literal history, and written by Zelda herself sometime recently as some have suggested, this is the only way for it to make sense with what we know as you have to make up a ''Tasogare'' event on the AT and a ''sailing across the sea in search of the Triforce'' event on the CT)

Or, the one I go with, to avoid bias: The speech is mere poetry in universe that describes the fact that the Master Sword and the spirit of the hero are as one no matter what trials they face; wording such as ''whether'' and the fact that Zelda says that it is forever bound to the hero, instead of saying that it WAS bound to the hero during those times, which would make more sense if referring to the literal events of those games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom