• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Art The Apple Tree

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
SPIIIIIIIIIIDEEER!!!!!!! Nah, I like spiders. :) But yes, nice chapter. I think slowing it down a tad would be good, it's a bit hard to catch up sometimes, but it's still really good.

arkvoodle

Diabolical
I'm just trying to juggle this story with a few other things, and I have another project i'd like to work on too. Also, I have nothing to act as filler...actually, maybe I do. :/

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
No, no, don't worry, we all know what life is like, just don't feel you have to put up a chapter immediately, you can spend more time on them. We can wait, good things come to those who wait. :)

arkvoodle

Diabolical
Oh dear. :O I've neglected this project D: Also, very sloppy chapter. This story is turning out worse than I expected. :/ Maybe an overhaul is in order? (redoing the whole thing)

Chapter 13-

The spider slinked across the mildew covered ceiling, drooling and staring with its empty eyes. There were blood red markings on its abdomen, formed into the shape of a skull. The spider dropped, and crawled around Dolly and the others, tauntingly reaching out its legs from time to time. The sudden noise of the villagers charging into the cave startled it, and it ran towards them.

Ella stood frozen, but frightenedly whispered "We should go. It's distracted!"

The group gathered themselves before hurridly making their way through the darkness. In the distance, blood curdling screams of sheer terror were coming from the villagers, and horrifying sounds that cannot be described came from their bodies being flung around by the beast.

Beads of sweat were rolling down Dolly's face as she dashed behind Ella.

"Just a little bit more! I can see the end!" Panted Ella.

The two dived out of the cave, into the glistening sunlight, with Leonie and Damen slumping out after them.

The screams continued in the cave, as were the roars of the spider as it continued to stalk the villagers.

"Oh no..." mumbled Leonie "Maybe we should go back into the cave!"

"With the spider!? No way!" Replied Ella

"You don't understand! The thorns! THE THORNS!" Screamed Leonie

"Uh...What thorns?" Said a slightly puzzled Ella

"In the ground! They came out and tore down our balloon! Even ask Damen! Or Do- well maybe not Dolly."

"It's...true..." Panted an exhausted Damen

"I don't see anything. There's nothing in the ground going to kill us. The only thing that's going to kill us is in that cave" Pointed Ella.

All the while, Dolly had made her way over to the tree. Something was wrong. The tree had withered slightly. Most of its leaves were gone, and the branches had twisted into a contorted mess. Was this her fault?
Dolly ignored the twisted branches and reached out for the apple within them. Just as she got a grip on it, the branches twisted around her arm and trapped it. She desperatley tried to pull it free, but they only grew tighter. But then, a flash!

A white light flashed from the tree and blinded Dolly temporarily. She rubbed her eyes in disdain, but when her vision cleared, she wished she hadnt. The world around her was dull and grey. The ocean below the cliff was a thick, black substance, devoid of life. The ground beneath her feet was grey, and crumbled and cracked as she stepped. The tree was gone. All that remained were broken pieces of twisted bark scattered around where it had once stood.

A voice echoed around Dolly, repeating the phrase "What is to be if life is not scattered"..."What is to be if life is not scattered".

Dolly grew only more terrified, and looked for a way out. The cave was gone, as was the path to the mysteriously vanishing forest.

She was trapped. What could she do? But then the thought dawned on her...Why was she doing this? Why try to scatter the seeds of the apples? For happiness? Why drag innocent people into this? Why were they so inclined to help her?

All of these questions rushed through her head, along with jeers from the villagers. "Devil girl!" "WITCH!"...

Dolly couldnt handle it. It was getting too much. She slammed her head on the floor, before running off of the cliff and into the blackness below. The vision did not end. The blackness swarmed around her, and showed terrifying visions of Ella and Leonie in pain and being beaten by the villagers. Damen was lying in a heap in the corner. Another flash brought her back to reality, and she fell back, letting go of the apple.

Last edited:

arkvoodle

Diabolical
Chapter 14-

The tree's branches creaked back to normality, and the others noticed Dolly, shaking on the floor.

"What's the matter, Dolly?" said Ella, reaching out her hand.

Dolly violently slapped it away, then rose to her feet.

"Hey! No need to be that way about it! She was only trying to help!" Interrupted Damen.

"Wow. He's right...for once" Inputted Leonie.

"What's gotten into you?" said a worried Ella "Why are you suddenly acting like this?"

Dolly wiped her forehead with her hand, before walking over to the apple once more. She thrusted her hand through the branches of the small tree, and with a look of rage strewn across her face, tossed it out to sea.

The apple bobbed up and down, turning in circles, before, as previously, vanishing into thin air.

Suddenly, the cliff jerked violently and knocked everyone off of their feet.

"What's going on!?" Shouted Damen. "Is it the thorns again?!"

"No! It's the cave!" Screeched Ella, pointing at the rocks inside crumbling and falling. Soon, the entrance to the cave was completely blocked up with fallen debris. A tremendous roar came from deep inside as the last of the rocks fell and the cliff settled once again.

"Oh great! Now we're stuck here!" Grunted Leonie. "I bet it's all her fault! She threw the apple! And by the way, why are we even here in the first place? Why did I tag along? I could have been eating a three course meal and enjoying the luxuries of life! But instead, i'm being chased by some weirdo villagers through a cave, being threatened by a giant spider, and staring at a tiny tree while a freaky girl who never speaks throws an apple into the ocean!"

Dolly sighed in sadness, while Ella and Damen listened to Leonie's angry words.

"Y-you have a point..." Agreed Ella in a distraught tone. "Why are we here? Why did we follow?"

Dolly grew worried, and quickly drew a smiling face in the earth. She pointed at it with an eager finger.

"For happiness? Dolly, that was just a story. I can't belive I ever went along with it. I'm sorry, but no tree is going to bring you happiness, or anyone else"

Small tears formed in Dolly's eyes. She pointed to the cave, and the path were the forest used to be.

"That's...well, I don't know!" Grunted Ella. "Ugh! Now everyone hates me, and i'm trapped at the top of this cliff with you people!"

"Hey!" Intervened Damen. "I'm not that bad!"

"Yes you are" Replied Leonie

"Oh sssh you!"

"No you sssh!"

"NO YOU!"

"NO YOU!"

"BOTH OF YOU SHUT UP!" Roared Ella

"We can argue if we want to!" replied Leonie and Damen, almost in perfect harmony

"Well you're annoying me!" exclaimed Ella, grabbing her hair in frustration

"Well...uh...you brought us here!" said Leonie, stamping her foot

"No I didnt!" replied Ella

"Yes you did!"

"No I didnt! It was Dolly who brought us here in the first place! I never would have known about here if it wasnt for her!"

"I don't care! You still brought us here!"

Dolly's sorrow grew. It was all her fault. Why did she want to come here? What made her belive that story? Was it desperation, or just the prospect of adventure and friendship? Either way, it was tearing her, and her companion's lives apart. They could have lived in peace. If Dolly wasnt there, they'd be fine. It was all her fault.

Her tears flew in a steady stream now, all being swallowed by the earth below. The tree creaked and shook, and rejuvenated slightly. To her utter amazement, her tears had brought life back into the tree. In the center of it's branches, there was a small white flower that had just bloomed. Dolly reached out for it, and sniffed it. The scent was of lavender and roses. Suddenly, the flower shot out a gaseous substance, which quickly swarmed around the group. Dolly grew sleepy. As did Ella, Leonie and Damen. They had all stopped arguing...

Her vision faded, and with a smile on her face, the warmth of the sun eased her to sleep, though a peculiar wind had began to stir around them. As she lay, absorbed by the calmness, the wind grew more vicious and turned in a spiral of sorts, though they were all blissfully unaware of what was actually happening.

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
Aww. For once my character lost her similarities with me. It is very good, I hate seeing people argue though. It's sad and we want to be happy! :D but it is a story so that's okay. :3

arkvoodle

Diabolical
Sorry about that Meegles. :/

Chapter 15-

The ground was swaying back and forth. The waves seemed to have grown louder, and seagulls could be heard flying overhead. Dolly rubbed her eyes, and stared up into the clear blue sky. She felt uneasy, and then looked around at her surroundings. She was on a boat, in the middle of the ocean! Where was Ella and Leonie?! What about Damen!? How did she get here?!

Dolly panicked and froze in place, rubbing her eyes even more, trying to wake up from this odd dream.

"Ahoy Lass! Finally, yer awake! Ahar!" Bellowed a voice in a jolly tone.

Dolly creaked her head around, and standing behind her was a plump man, with a furrowed brow and bushy brown beard. His eyes were small and beady, glinting as he shuffled towards her. He reached out his fat arm, and picked Dolly up from the floor of the boat.

"Well arent you precious! And jus' how did you end up har lass? I just woke up this mornin' and when I came out 'ere, there was a girl lyin' on me boat! Fancy that eh? I thought you were one of them there Sirens, y'know, the 'lure sailors to their doom' ones?"

The man stared Dolly up and down, then fixated on her eyes.

"Yer not much o' a talker, are ye now?" he laughed. "Anyway, words are fer the weak! How 'bout some dinner?"

The man, who seemed to be the captain of the little vessel, stumbled into the cabin and came out brandishing a can of sardines.

"Sardines be the food of the gods I say! Eat up now lass!" he repeated, nudging the can of sardines into Dolly's hands.

Dolly stared at the rusty can, then opened it and drew back. The smell was terrible, and they looked even worse.

"Come on then! Eat up!" He muffled through the chewed up sardines.

Dolly set the fish down beside her, and looked around, trying to catch a glimpse of land.

"There be no land 'round there lass. I don' know whar ye' come from, or where ye' plan on goin', but we'll try and get ye' somewhere" He muffled once more, wiping the fish away from his mouth. "Oh I almost forgot! The name is..."

The captain jumped up to his feet, took a deep breath, and exclaimed

"The name's Hamish! Captain Hamish! Hamish the Brownbearded...or, Brownbeard! Or...oh...uhm...did I say Hamish?"

Dolly laughed innocently, and watched as Hamish slumped down, obviously exhausted from his little intro.

"Ye know, I like ye girly. It's lonely har out at sea. Ye remind me of me kids. I havent seen 'em in years though. Family problems, y'know?" Hamish sniffed, before eating another fish and walking back to the cabin.

"I'll be guessin' ye want to go back to the island. It's a wee while away, but we'll get there. Sit back and enjoy the voyage. Ho ho! Also, I hope ye' like cod!" he laughed before going into the cabin.

Dolly looked over the edge into the water, and dipped her hand in. Though she couldnt help but think of Ella and the others. She just hoped they were okay.

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
No, no. Don't be sorry! And lol, I can just hear that voice :xd: Yar me lass. I love how confusing this is, the plot skids to a halt then twists.

arkvoodle

Diabolical
No, no. Don't be sorry! And lol, I can just hear that voice :xd: Yar me lass. I love how confusing this is, the plot skids to a halt then twists.

In other words, it's a desperate attempt to move things along and try to make it more interesting. >_<

arkvoodle

Diabolical
Chapter 16-

"Yar har wee lass! The time fer sailin' be upon us!" Laughed Hamish, tossing his frayed sailor hat into the air.

"Back to land fer you I be guessin'?"

Dolly nodded, with a sweet smile on her face.

"It's been nice 'avin' ye' 'ere. It's good havin' some company every once in a while!"

The boat's rugged engine coughed and spluttered as it chugged into movement, and slowly but surely, the boat was moving at a steady pace back towards the island, which was not yet visible over the horizon of the ocean.

Several hours passed, and after being fed sardines by Hamish, giggling at him falling over and getting a little sea sick, the island came within view. It was completely different to what one would imagine an island to look like. From here, the island looked musty and old, falling apart in some places. An aura of misery shrouded the place, in the form of a thick fog. The waters here seemed to grow darker, as did the sky above. Dolly thought back to the last apple. She had to throw it into the ocean if she was to save the island in time and achieve what it truly is to be happy, not only for herself, but for everyone. Maybe then they can overcome their pointless hatred.

"Looks like there be a storm brewin' lass! Ye' better take some shelter in the cabin!" Called Hamish in a croaky voice.

Dolly shuffled into the wooden cabin, and took a seat by the window, overlooking the unsettled waters of the ocean. They seemed to become more violent the closer they came to the island. Hamish seemed to grow nervous. He grew pale, and beads of sweat formed on his forehead.

"Oh no lass. We better be pickin' up some speed if we' goin' ta outrun the storm!"

Last edited:

arkvoodle

Diabolical
Chapter 17-

The waters began to stir more vigorously as the small boat ploughed through them. Occasionally, a small bump would cause the ship to sway and turn wildly, but due to Hamish's excellent boating skills, it was kept intact.

Suddenly the boat chugged to a violent stop.

Dolly jerked in shock at the shudder, and watched as Hamish fearfully hurried out of the cabin and looked at the water below.

"Somethin' be stirrin' in them waters lass...We better be gettin' this boat back up an' runnin'!"

Hamish hurried back into the boat, and kickstarted the engine. It chugged horribly as the boat began slowly moving forward.

There was another thud, and the boat stopped once more.

Storm clouds were gathering fast, and pellets of remorseful rain pelted downwards. The waves became more violent and shook the boat side to side. Hamish lost his balance once or twice, and Dolly jittered and shook within the cabin.

A huge shadow surfaced and made its way around the boat, bashing it as if taunting those on bord.

"No..." rasped Hamish, wiping his brow with the back of his weather worn hand.

Immediatley, the water in front of the boat bubbled and frothed, as a huge tentacle emerged from the ocean deep.

"LASS! START THE BOAT! THE KRAKEN BE UPON US!"

The foul black tentacle waved wildly at the boat while Dolly panicked and began pressing buttons in the boat, causing it to jerk back and forth, before finally moving forward.

Hamish tried to avoid the tentacle, but with all the water splashing around, the deck became slippy and he couldnt bare to run anymore on it.

A final jerk of the boat sealed his fate, and he slipped, hitting the deck with a dull thud, while Dolly looked on in terror.

"Stay back lass! Stay back!" He called in a desperate voice, as the tentacle grabbed him, and dragged him off of the boat.

Dolly ran at the beast and tried to pull Hamish out of its grasp, but all was in vain, as he took a final breath, and vanished into the blue depths.

A tear ran down Dolly's face as the boat continued to speed away.

The island was coming into view now, and she wiped the tear from her face and focused on the cliff where the tree lay. It was all the tree's fault. All it's fault for the senseless deaths that had occured. The lives that have been destroyed. All the trees fault, but her fault at the same time...

She shouldnt have belived the story. She shouldnt have thrown the apples...but something was driving her to continue. She had to reach the tree and finish what she had started. None of this would be in vain.

Hamish...
Ella...
Leonie...
Damen...
The villagers...

All of them. Everything that has happened. She will gain something. She will proclaim her so called destiny to the world. The third apple will be scattered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom