• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Art The Apple Tree

arkvoodle

Diabolical
The Apple Tree is a story of opression, hatred and rejection by society. Although the first chapter is quite slow and uneventful (also badly written :xd:) , the story will get better as it progresses...hopefully.

BTW- if you'd like a place in the story, simply PM me and i'll try to fit you in.

Forms should be as follows;

Name:
Personality:
Side:
Story timeframe: (How long you want your character to be in the story. Long term/short term)

(The main character of the story and the idea of a tree are based on the popular flash game "Apples in the tree". You can find it here).

~~~~

-The Apple Tree-

Chapter 1-​

For now the sun had risen and cast its heavenly light across the land of Maline. The flowers had opened their buds, and birds were singing and dancing gracefully in the air. There was a cool breeze passing. It gave a refreshing boost on this warm summer's day.
The trees swayed slightly, and brushed against eachother, as if to shake hands. On this day, all was fine. There was not a single cloud in the marine blue sky.

Maline had always been a peaceful place, free of predjudice, hatred and anger. But that was before Dolly arrived.

One stormy day, three years ago, on the northern shore, washed up a girl, no older than 13.
Her face was pale and she had long flowing burgandy hair. Her eyes were a brilliant green, and she was clothed in a ragged, knee long dress, with patches scattered across it where holes had formed.

She had a peculiar look on her face. One of sadness and lonliness. Her only posession was the stuffed bear that she clutched tightly to her chest. The bear was just like her.
Ragged, dirty and damaged. Its left eye was replaced by a round black button, and patches of its fur were missing.

She lay on the beach alone for hours in an almost trance like state. The locals watched from a distance, as if they would die if they dared approach her.

Dolly snapped out of the trance when a small girl approached her and reached out her arm, signalling that she was there to help. Dolly climbed up, still clutching to the bear, and grabbed hold of the girl's hand.

The girl and Dolly from that point on became best friends. The girl was Dolly's only friend. No-one else would even think to approach her. Only the girl would be her friend or even pass a glance at her.

A peculiar thing about Dolly was that she never spoke a word. She simply nodded, shook her head or let out faint smiles in response to her friend's statements. Maybe that's why they were such good friends. Dolly wanted someone to be friends with, and
the girl wanted someone to listen to her.

Each day after the girl came home from school (Dolly was not allowed to go to school, as no-one would accept her), Dolly and the girl would meet on the bridge, just above
the river Lycrona. There, the girl would give Dolly some food, a drink, and then the two would go to the park together. The locals would stare in discontempt as the two played. It was obvious that they hated Dolly. But seemingly for no reason at all.
Dolly didn't care. She just kept on playing.

"But where did she stay?".

Dolly stayed in the girl's playhouse. Although it was not very big, it was comfortable. And as long as Dolly had a roof over her head, and a blanket to keep her warm, she was happy.

But, all was not to be.

One day, Dolly waited on the bridge for her friend, as she always would. But, her friend did not turn up.

She waited...and waited...and waited...and waited, until it was almost sunset. But her friend did not turn up. Dolly was growing hungry now. The only thing she could eat were some berries on a nearby bush. Dolly did not want to leave, just in case her friend turned up.

Eventually, hours turned to days, and Dolly kept waiting. When she went back to the girl's house, the playhouse was still there. The house was still there, and so was the furniture. But, there seemed to be no-one inside. Dolly stared through the window each day, just to see if anything had moved or changed.

Deep down inside, Dolly knew her friend was gone. But she did
not want this thought to become the horrible reality.

Maybe if she kept waiting, her friend would come back...

arkvoodle

Diabolical
Chapter 2-

Dolly began to accept the reality. Her friend was gone. There was nothing she could do about it. She began to feel as if it was her fault. Maybe the only reason she left was because of Dolly's actions. Dolly left the garden of her friend's house, her stuffed bear in hand, and ran.

She kept running, almost falling a few times. She ran through the town as fast as she could, all the while
ignoring the jeers from the people she sped past.

Dolly's eyes were filled with tears, and they streamed down her face as she ran. The sky was cloudy, and a storm was brewing. The occasional burst of rain cooled Dolly down as she continued running.

Her journey was brought to an abrupt end when she crashed into a fence, stumbling backwards, landing on her back. She stared up at the cloud filled sky and completely ignored her surroundings as she continued to cry softly. She turned her head towards her bear's ragged face. She held it close to her chest and closed her eyes, eventually passing into a tearful sleep.

When she awoke, the clouds had passed. It was late into the evening now, and a family of birds whizzed past her face and into their nest in the bushes. Dolly climbed up from the ground and looked around her.

She was in the middle of a field of orange grass. In the center was a large, autumnal oak tree. It was slightly withered, but leaves remained on some of its branches. They were a strong orange, and glinted as the sunlight shone upon them.

Dolly dipped her hand into the long, orange, wheat like grass. As it passed through her fingers, specks of orange dust floated off behind her. Dolly walked over to the withered oak tree and examined patterns in the bark.
There were carvings of young lovers, messages of hope, prayers and various other messages from one person to the other. The tree seemed to be a staple in the lives of many, and was a symbol of the happiness the island once had. Dolly was intrigued, and wondered if it was possible that she could experience some of this happiness that others have had. As she stared, the tree began to shake and quiver.

Dolly stepped back in shock and fear.

The tree swayed slightly sidewards, and out of it, with a scream fell a girl who hit the ground with a thud.
Dolly rushed to her side and put her bear under the girl's head. There was a small cut on her forhead, but other than that, there
was no immediate injury. Dolly tore off one of the patches by her waist and placed it over the wound as a bandage

Dolly shook her slightly, but the girl was unresponsive.

The girl was clad in a white tunic with a belt across the waistline. She wore brown tights, on her finger was a viking mood ring,
and on the opposite wrist was an orange gem bracelet. Her hair was curly, with red and blonde highlights, and lay sprawled out over and around the bear. The girl was breathing still, and it was growing dark. Dolly quickly gathered some sticks and branches that had fallen and built a small shelter to cover them both. Dolly sat at the entrance, watching for any unexpected visitors, while the girl lay inside.

She waited all night long, before falling alseep as the sun began to rise over the horizon...

Last edited:

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
Wowww! Yaaaaaaay! It's me! That sounds exactly like me, I have fallen out of a tree before and the appearance is dead on. One typo though, you put bandafe...

Last edited:

arkvoodle

Diabolical
Chapter 3-

The morning sun came as a refreshing burst into the darkness. Once more, the field lit up with a brilliant orange and everything came alive.

Dolly rubbed her eyes in tiredness, but also in relief that both of them were still alive. She turned aroud to see the girl was still sleeping, but had more of a shine to her face than before.
Dolly pulled herself up and blocked off the entrance with a few twigs, then began collecting berries from a nearby bush. Her time waiting for her friend had tought her that berries are edible, and that these particular ones are not poisonous. She folded up the middle of her dress as a sort of bindle, then carried back the collected berries, as well as a flower.

When she returned, the girl was tossing and turning wildly, murmuring about monsters and creatures of the night.

Dolly reached out her shaky hand in fear, and slightly shook the girl.

"EEEEP!"

The girl jumped up and latched on to Dolly's arm.
She was terrified and fell backwards out of the makeshift shelter. The girl began to breath heavily, but eventually regained composure and stared at Dolly's frightened face.

"What's the matter? You look like you've seen a ghost. Or four" said the girl in a joke-like tone.
Dolly inched closer and smiled. The girl, with a sudden burst of energy said:

"The name's Ella Rose! Explorer extraordinaire!".
Dolly's smile grew and she clapped her hands innocently. "Thank you, thank you" repeated Ella.

"Well, come on then! What's your name?".

Dolly looked back with a blank look on her face. She tried to speak, but her words evaporated before they left her mouth. Instead, she grabbed a stick and etched her name into the sandy ground at the foot of the tree.

"Dolly? That's a nice name" said Ella with a slight smile. "You're not much of a talker, are you?"

Dolly's head sank in sadness. She was ashamed of her inability to speak properly. "Hm...well, nevermind. As long as you're alive, as I always say!"

Ella stared Dolly up and down, adressing her ragged garb and long burgandy hair. She saw the berries scattered at Dolly's knees.

"Oh! Berries! Maybe we can eat those before we head out!"

Dolly nodded in agreement, grabbed a handful and passed them to Ella.

The two of them sat and ate for five minutes, all the while remaining silent, but not in an awkard way.

Ella wiped the berry juice from around her mouth before settling down to talk again. "Thanks for helping me, by the way. Who knows what could have happened if I had of lay there for a few more hours alone. I could have frozen! Been eaten by a bear! Anything could have happened!"

Dolly laughed slightly before finishing eating and reaching over to remove the patch from Ella's head. The wound had become a simple blister now. "Ouch. Never noticed that was there. Thanks Dolly! I must have gotten this when I fell out of that tree..."

Dolly was confused.

"Hey, what's with the face?" Said Ella. "I was only up there because I like to think...upside down". Dolly laughed, and placed the remaining berries in a pile for later.

Ella and Dolly left the shelter, and decided to explore the island further. Ella had never been out of the central town. Dolly had never been into the central town, due to the locals and their uncalled for, incessant violence towards her.

All the while, Dolly had been wondering why she was so hated, but she simply ignored the thought, and continued out of the field with Ella and down a dusty path.

Hazel

A Frog
This story seems sad and cute at the same time. Hopefully all will turn for the best. I really like your style. You're a writer extraordinaire!

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
BRAVO BRAVO!!!!!! Love it! You got me totally down on paper, all those lines she said = ME! Keep writing, it's cute and funny but somewhat mysterious! Love it love it love it! :D :3

arkvoodle

Diabolical
Hazel said:
This story seems sad and cute at the same time. Hopefully all will turn for the best. I really like your style. You're a writer extraordinaire!

Thanks Hazel :D
I'm not sure whether to let Dolly be happy, or to let her be sad. We'll just see how things go. :)

Meego7 said:
BRAVO BRAVO!!!!!! Love it! You got me totally down on paper, all those lines she said = ME! Keep writing, it's cute and funny but somewhat mysterious! Love it love it love it! :3

Wow. I thought you would have hated the lines I gave you! D:
Glad you liked it. :)

Thanks both of you. I appreciate the praise.
The next chapter/chapters will appear in the coming days. I'll probably post another one tomorrow.

arkvoodle

Diabolical
(Apologies for the incredibly bad, rushed chapter. o_o)

Chapter 4-

The sun was high in the marine blue sky, beating down on the two travellers as they continued along the dusty path. Ella chatted politely to Dolly, remarking on the town and its recently violent residents. Dolly listened on, all the while admiring the green surroundings and the vivid fields of deep green grass. Ella put her hand out, to stop Dolly. She stared on in the distance, and pointed to a group of males, gathered round a small tree, lighting it on fire.
Ella's eyes light up with fright and anger, as did Dolly's. The two of them darted forward, eventually closing in on the group.

"What do you think you're doing?!" Ella screamed
"None of your damn business!" Replied the one with the lighter.

"You can't just burn trees and damage nature like that!"

The one with the lighter stepped forward, and stared at Ella with deep, rage filled eyes.

"You've got one last chance to get the hell out of here. Before I do somethin' I don't wanna do"

"Like what? Hit me? Beat me? Set me on fire? HAH! You're all pathetic" replied Ella sarcastically.

Dolly smiled at Ella's remark. She could tell Ella was defensive and didn't like being pushed around.

The one with the now extinguished lighter turned to Dolly, and shuffled towards her, grunting as he went. "You got somethin' ta say, girly?"

Ella dived in front of Dolly. "Leave her out of this, freak!" she roared.

"Me? A freak? I think you're mistakin'. This one here is the freak. Ever since she arrived, everyone's been actin' real crazy like. She's bad luck I tell ya"

"Say what you like, but it's not true! Dolly isnt bad luck! She's a better person than all of you put together" said Ella in reply.

The boy stared at both of them in a rage, then looked at his watch. "I don't 'ave time for this. I'm outta here"

The group of boys walked away smugly, leaving behind the ashes of the small tree. Ella and Dolly stared at the ashes in dismay.

"Let's go" said Ella.

The pair walked further down the path, remaining silent. Clouds gathered overhead, and crows cawed mockingly at them as they walked.

"I have a story, if you'd like to hear. Maybe it'll lighten the mood a little" said Ella softly.

Dolly nodded in agreement, and slowed down slightly.

"Well, my mother always told me, about a field, on this very island, and beside it, a cave, and beside that, a dusty path. She said, at the end of all three, was a hill. And on top of that a tree. A special tree. An Apple Tree"

Dolly's eyes lit up with interest, and she could picture the scene clearly in her head.

"The Apple Tree, as she said, was very important. But it only had three apples. She said, only when the apples are scattered, or their seeds are planted, can true happiness flourish in the world"

Dolly smiled, and stared at Ella hopefully.

"But there's a downside. If one apple remains on the island, and is not scattered, all of nature will die. Nobody will ever be truly happy...or at least, that's her version of the story"

Dolly stopped completely, and glared at Ella in interest, disgust, and shock. Although Ella said it was only a story, Dolly was convinced that the tree existed. A grin appeared on her face, and she grabbed Ella's hand and ran into one of the fields. Dolly pointed into the distance. The faint outline of a large hill, was in the distance.

Ella smiled, and her previously gloomy expression evaporated into thin air. "Well, what are you waiting for?! Let's go! If the story's real, think of the praise we'll get! Everyone will love us!"

Dolly clenched her hands victoriously, and darted off towards the hill, with Ella running after her.

If the story was right...maybe Dolly would finally be accepted. She could live a normal life. Have normal friends, a normal house...or maybe...

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
What's so bad about that? It was interesting! I liked it, I can tell it was a bit rushed but not badly.:)

arkvoodle

Diabolical
(i've been experiencing some writer's block and some stress lately. Sorry for the badly written chapters. Story progression will happen over the next few chapters)

Chapter 5-

Ella and Dolly continued through the field, admiring the scenery as they went. The path was clear, and nothing could possibly be in their way. Or so they thought.

A voice boomed out and stopped Ella in her tracks. Dolly turned to see a man, tall and ragged, brandishing a pitchfork and a pipe in his mouth. He called out again "Ella, you get back here right now. Don't make me come over there young lady". The man smacked the ground with the pitchfork, and Ella walked solomnly towards him.

Dolly held out her hand, but Ella ignored the gesture and walked in front of the man.

"That's a good girl"
The man lifted his hand, and smacked Ella, knocking her to the ground.

"I told you to stay away from that devil girl! I told you!"

SMACK

"Maybe this'll teach you a damn lesson!"

He grabbed Ella's wrist, and pulled her viciously up from the ground. He dragged her with him as Ella attempted to show no weakness. The bracelet around her wrist became caught on a twig and Ella's eyes widened in fear. She attempted to pull herself away, but the man's grip would not loosen.

Dolly simply stood, petrified that if she dared approach, he would harm Ella further.

Eventually, the two figures vanished, and Dolly dropped to her knees. Her only friend had been beaten and dragged away before her very eyes. How could anyone do that? The man's words echoed through her head. "Devil girl...Devil girl...DEVIL GIRL".
Tears appeared in her eyes, but she wiped them away before they could flow. Dolly's rage grew. No-one can do that to her friends. No-one.

Dolly climbed to her feet, and began walking back to her makeshift shelter by the old withered tree. She watched the ground as she dragged her feet along, and caught a glimpse of Ella's bracelet. It shone in the dim light, and a glimmer of hope appeared in Dolly's heart. Maybe she could see her friend again if she returned it to her.

Dolly began running towards the town that despised her. The angry glares of residents simply faded away before they reached her. But then the reality set in. How would she find Ella's house? The glimmer of hope that had sparked inside of her withered and died. She couldnt go up and knock random doors. Who knows what the residents would do to her...

Dolly, the bracelet in hand, walked back to the makeshift shelter, sat down and stared at the shining bracelet. She placed it beside her stuffed bear, curled up in a ball and fell asleep.

arkvoodle

Diabolical
(Sorry for lateness. But i'm not very determined as i've lost my train of thought. And i'm a bit depressed and stressed right now, so...yah. Enjoy? :))

Chapter 6-

SMASH. Dolly fell to the floor again. She was dragged across a dark room by an unseen force and viciously beaten. Dolly tried to crawl away, but the force kept dragging her back. A red light appeared at the end of the room, and she was suddenly flung into it.

Dolly awoke, surrounded by the villagers. The crowd approached her with weapons- pitchforks, knives and axes. Dolly curled up into a ball and put her hands over her head.

The crowd suddenly stepped away. A familiar figure appeared before Dolly. It was Ella. She reached out her hand, and Dolly reached out hers. Ella pulled Dolly up from the floor, and from behind her back came a knife. With a swift move, it pierced through Dolly's chest. She stumbled back, and fell to her knees. The villagers laughing as she bled. Her vision became blurry, til all faded to darkness.

Dolly jumped up with a shot and a scream. She was in the shelter again, in the centre of Sunset Field, by the old withered tree.
Footsteps hurried towards the shelter, and Ella appeared in the doorway. Dolly pulled herself backwards in fear, but then sighed in relief.

"What happened to you? Was it a bad dream?" Ella whispered, rubbing the bandages over her eye.

Dolly jerked her arm over, and grabbed the bracelet. She passed it to Ella, all the while staring at the bruises and the bandages.

"Thanks. I'm glad you found this..."

Dolly still stared, with a look of sadness on her face.

"Oh. These...i'm okay. My Uncle just got a little...angry. He gets like that sometimes, don't worry. I'm used to it"

Dolly's head dropped, and examined the floor in discontempt.

"So, uh...wanna go find that tree today? My dad won't catch us. He's too tired today".

Dolly smiled lightly, then dragged herself out of the shelter.

Again, the duo wandered down the dusty path, past the ashes of the burnt tree, and into the wide open meadow, where the giant hill was visible.

After a lengthy trek, Dolly and Ella reached the foot of the hill.

"Wow" Ella murmured in shock. "It's more like a mountain than a hill. The only question is, how do we get up there? It's too smooth to climb, and we don't have any gear. I could probably make it, but what about you?"

Ella sighed in dissapointment, but Dolly had wandered off. "Dolly!? Dolly where are you!?"

Ella jerked her head round, hoping to catch a glimpse of Dolly. "Dolly! This isnt funny! Where are you!?"

Out of the corner, a hand waved, followed by Dolly peeking out and signalling for Ella to come closer.

"You had me worried there" she said with a sigh. "What is it?"

Dolly pointed to three paths by the hill. One, through a dark cave, the second, through an overgrown grove of trees, and the third, a straight climb upwards with footholds.

Ella examined the hill, and it was clear that all three led to the top. But which one did they take first?
"uh...Uhm...what about that one?" She pointed to the grove of trees. "It looks safer than the others. And we need equipment for those..."

Dolly had already began walking towards the grove, before Ella had finished speaking.

"HEY! Stop doing that. I don't want to be left behind again!" she shouted with a humorous tone.

The duo darted into the forest, unaware of what awaited them. Who knows what could be in that forest. It looked as if no human had stepped there in decades.

arkvoodle

Diabolical
Very good. What I especially like about your story is that it is very heartfelt. I like it very much.

Thanks Hazel :)
That's what i'm trying to go for, to write the story in a very heartfelt and emotional way. Some of the things in the story...actually. I'll leave that to the question time after the ending. ;)
Next chapter will be up later today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom