• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Sword Beams

A staple of Zelda that was born with the series itself. However, recent years it's used less and less. With Skyward Sword marking their first appearance in 3D gaming, I'm not counting Fierce Deity Link's because it was the attack of a transformation, what are your thoughts on them? Should they use them more often or less?

Here's my opinion and I'm sure people will disagree. I DO NOT like sword beams. I know they existed in the first game but I felt more like I HAD to use them. Part of the reason why the sword is my favorite melee weapon is because of its usage in cutting as well as it representing heroism when held by our main character. The sword beams cheapen the actual usage of the blade and using it stab becomes more like throwing a gun when it is out of bullets. Part of the reason why I hated the "action" in the cartoon is the overusage of them because it makes the sword become just a point and shoot. Except a sword ISN'T a point and shoot type of weapon. They're supposed to show how awesome the hero is when he actually swings it.

This problem I have was more in the 8bit games since Link just stabs the air and it comes out in the shape of the sword. (Haven't played the handhelds save for Link's Awakening, so I don't know how they are) A Link to The Past is currently the only game I played, again not counting Majora's Mask since it was an attack from a transformation, where I think it is better. The reason why I like those beams, as well as the one's in Skyward Sword, is because it comes from the Master Sword, its released from swinging it rather than stabbing, and it is in a crescent shape. That's where I am more accepting of the sword beams and think they should be. Used exclusively for the most powerful sword, released when the sword is being swung as it normally is and in the shape of a slash.

Now, I'm into other fandoms that use sword beams. Do they annoy me there? Yes. But at least we are shown them being used as swords more often than guns.

I'd have to agree that the beams in LoZ annoyed me too. AoL wasn't as bad since most enemies weren't harmed by them and they had a short range.

Besides, 98.4% of the time you don't have enough health to use them.

BloodKnight88

bringer of despair
i think in 3D zeldas, they should have the sword beam, but you don't need full health to use it . but the less health you have the weaker the beam is. so you'd have to still resort to actually using the sword most of the time. but if you do need to use it. it'd be there, albeit just a weaker version, what are your opinions on that? also they could make it so only the strongest sword has the sword beam. but it has limited use as well, like if it took a small chunk of your magic to use the beam.

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
If you feel like you had to use the Sword Beam, then you didn't try hard enough to get close to the enemies and hack away. The Sword Beam, with the exception of LoZ, only does half the damage of a normal attack, so it's not exactly a practical tactic to take out numerous enemies. Even when the Sword Beam comes into play, the combat still comes down to face-to-face combat with the enemies. Plus, full hearts were always needed, so it's not like we could use the Sword Beam all the time. With Skyward Sword, we have to charge up the Sword Beam, making us vulnerable to attacks. That means we'll have to use it with caution. Arguing that it's used more like a gun (in SS) doesn't hold up, as we can't just instantly attack with it. And even in the 2D games it doesn't hold up that well, and for the reasons I said already. I respect opinion on these kinds of topics, but I definitely don't agree with your standpoint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom