• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Hello everyone!

So I've recently been given the Green Light to start a new alternative to mafia based off of the hit T.V show: Survivor. This game will be similar to Mafia as well, which is why it's in the mafia section.

Trial Run

Rules:

• Initial Day Phases (IDPs) last 24 hours

• In the day phase, players may talk to other players either in the chat, or in secret conversations outside the chat. If a player wants to talk in private with another player, they must state that they are creating a conversation in the game chat for everyone to know. Players from there can request to enter that chat. After the chat is finished, the player who initiated the conversation must announce in the game chat that they are finished with their conversation. When the day phase ends, the challenge phase begins.

• Challenge Phases last for as long as the challenge

• In the Challenge Phase, tribes may (or may not) work together to solve a puzzle, or complete some kind of online activity. The tribe or player that wins will receive immunity at Tribal Council.

• After the Challenge phase, there will be another 24 hour Day Phase, followed by Tribal Council.

• Tribal Council Phases last 24 hours.

• In the Tribal Council Phase, players openly discuss in the chat a set of questions, and then have the rest of the time to freely discuss (in the game chat) what the plan is, ect. Players must have their vote sent by the end of the day phase in a conversation to the Host and only the host. If their vote is not sent, then they will not be able to participate in the next challenge. The person with the most votes at the end of each tribal council loses the game and can no longer participate in any conversations or the game chat. If there is a tie vote, then there is a 12 hour revote period. If there is still a tie, then the first of the two tied players to complete a challenge wins, sending the other out of the game.

• Night Phases last 24 hours.

• During the night phase, players do not have to announce who they are making a conversation with in chat. Besides that, it is a day phase.

• After 3 or 4 tribals, there will be a tribe swap where the tribes are split up

• Once approximately half of the competitors are eliminated, the tribes will merge and the challenges become individual.

• The 5 players eliminated before the final 3 (or 2) become jury members, meaning they vote for the winner of the final 2 (or 3), and must keep an eye on the game even though they are no longer in the game.

• When it’s down to the final 2 (or 3), there will be a 12 hour period when the finalists can state their cases to the jury, who will then vote for the winner.

• After the final vote, the winners will be announced.

• Tribal Council Votes may be kept secret (They are encouraged to be secret)

• There is outside communication, BUT only when specified in the game chat (the exception is the night phase)

• Do not edit or delete any posts, not even for grammar mistakes. There will be no exceptions or warnings

• Be appropriate

• Note that this is NOT mafia. It is similar. There are no scum to hunt. Your alliances are made completely by you.

• You must vote each tribal. Not voting without an acceptable excuse will result in some sort of penalty

• You may give final thoughts after being voted out. Those thoughts may not be edited, and you are not allowed to post after UNLESS you are on the jury and it’s question time towards the end of the game

• Any questions may be PMed to me, and I will answer them and alert the players in the Game Chat if needed
All Outside communication must be put on record. It must be in a conversation on this website (or Quicktopic) for access after endgame. The game moderator must be included in all conversations.

Survivor differs from Mafia in a couple different ways:
There are no preset alliances (Mafia, town, ect)
There is one winner
Alliances may be broken
There are no roles
There is outside communication (Must be on record. No SB conversations)
Ect.

Any questions may be asked freely and I will do my best to answer them. It is highly recommended that you watch at least one episode of Survivor before playing (Please have it be past season 5, as in the first few seasons no one had a clue what they were doing. One guy tried to vote people out alphabetically.......)

I will need 12-14 players. The game will begin when the signups are full. There will be no replacements. If you cannot complete the game, you lose.

Tribes will be assigned randomly.

1- @DekuNut
2- @Doc
3- @funnier6
4- @Spider-Bok
5- @karu
6- @Minish_Link
7- @Stormageden747
8- @kokirion
9- @Musicfan
10- @Tristan
11-
12-
13-
14-

Here are a few resources for anyone who doesn't know about Survivor:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0239195/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivor_(U.S._TV_series)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivor_(franchise)
Survivor Tips

As you most likely know by now, Survivor takes a lot of strategy and careful planning to make it far. It also takes a lot of physical grit, but we can’t have that be a part of forum Mafia, so it’s now all mental. Since I’m sure at least some people haven’t watched Survivor, or haven’t watched enough of it to get a good strategy, I thought to give a couple strategies, tips, and suggestions: all for everyone to use, or not to use.

Tips:

• Don’t expect things to go as planned. Backstabs (called blindsides) are a big part of the game. Always think you are on the chopping block

• Have a strong social game. Survivor is a game of numbers, which are earned by making connections with other players. Not making alliances and talking any strategy is a recipe for disaster.

• Think ahead. The people you vote out will eventually be voting for the winner. Voting out a bunch of people who end up being too salty to vote for you to win won’t have you be the winner. Voting out the people who you think will still vote for you to win is a good idea.

• Have a plan B. This goes with the first tip: Have a second plan in case thing go South for the first one

• Lie. This is a lying game as well. No one wins without lying. No one. Say you’re on board with a plan, when you are really going to vote against the people you lied to.

• Build a resume. Someone who stayed back and coasted along to the end without doing much more than sticking with the numbers won’t win unless they pull some serious lying game when it’s time to plead their case to the jury. Making big moves is how you get the jury to vote for you to win. A blindside is a big move. Using a secret advantage is a big move. Big moves are the key.

• Prepare a speech. This only applies to the final 2 or 3 players when they are about to make their cases to the jury. Going in without a big speech on why you deserve to win is not a good idea. Make a big speech on how you outwitted, outplayed, and outlasted everyone else, including the one or two remaining players.

As you play, remember these tips. They make make or break your game. Good luck!

FAQs:

How do I win?

You win Survivor by not being voted out of the game each tribal phase. When you are one of the last 2 or 3 standing, the players who got close to winning will vote for the winner between the remaining contestants. It’s basically the opposite of a regular tribal council.

Do I need to be active?

Well, it depends: Do you want to win?

You could easily play the game inactively as long as you participate at tribal council, but you would most likely not win. It makes the game less enjoyable for you and the others if you aren’t truly playing the game.

What’s my role?

There are no roles in Survivor. Players usually fall into a certain “role”, though. There are the honest people, the dishonest people, the strategic powerhouses, the challenge threats, etcetera but those roles aren’t assigned. They are just labels based on the skills and play styles you have by the other players. You can choose any style of play that you want.

How long will this take?

Truthfully, I don’t know. It really depends on how fast everyone is at challenges, and how many tie votes there will be. After having played a few games, an idea for time will be established, but right now, it is a game that has never been played, therefore it has never been timed. It also depends on how many people, and if it will go down to the final 2 players, or final 3 players.

Why do I need to talk to people?

You don’t need to talk to anyone really, but you would want to so you could have connections that may help you get further in the game.

Why do I want connections?

Since voting is a big part of Survivor, you wouldn’t want all of the votes pointed at you. In order to try and not have all of the votes on you, you need to have alliances, or connections. Your alliance is typically a group of other people who you make plans on who to vote out with, and who all have an agreement to stick to the plan, and not vote out anybody else in the alliance. It doesn’t always turn out that way: alliances are often broken, and backstabs known as blindsides occur, but typically you can count on your alliance to have your back. In Survivor, there will almost always be 2 or more alliances (usually 2). The alliance with the more numbers (people) usually gets their way at the vote (meaning they vote out who they agreed on), because the majority rules. The smaller alliance typically tries to persuade members of the larger alliance, or members of the third alliance to join them, therefore controlling the vote.

What are hidden immunity idols, where can I find them, and will these be put into the game?

Hidden immunity idols are hidden little idols that players can find while searching around camp (In real life Survivor). They work like an immunity necklace, which is earned for a person or tribe by winning the challenge phase. They will most likely not be added into the game, although you can never be too sure. If it does happen, it will be an added bonus for winning a challenge phase.

What’s the difference between an hidden immunity idol and an immunity necklace?

An immunity necklace is earned, and is no secret. It prevents all players from voting out the “wearer” of it. A hidden immunity idol (or idol for short), is found, and can be kept secret. It still allows for players to vote out the possessor of the idol IF the possessor does not play the idol after the votes are in but not yet tallied. An idol is not passive. Both can be used only once, but the necklace can be re-earned if the player wins the next challenge phase again.

The Day Phase

In the day phase, players may talk to other players either in the chat, or in secret conversations outside the chat. If a player wants to talk in private with another player, they must state that they are creating a conversation in the game chat for everyone to know. Players from there can request to enter that chat. After the chat is finished, the player who initiated the conversation must announce in the game chat that they are finished with their conversation. When the day phase ends, the challenge phase begins.

So, the day phase is when all of the strategies are thought out, alliances are made, lies are said, it is when idol searching happens, and when general socializing happens. It is recommended that players use the day phase to make alliances and to talk out plans. Going into tribal without a plan is much more likely to get you voted out than it is to make a plan and control the numbers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3ErvQqXeXY

The Challenge Phase

In the Challenge Phase, tribes may (or may not) work together to solve a puzzle, or complete some kind of online activity. The tribe or player that wins will receive immunity at Tribal Council.

So basically it is some kind of puzzle, or challenge that has no time limit. The player or tribe (depending on how far you are in the game) that finishes first will receive an immunity necklace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47mTYxz2ZdM

The Tribal Phase

In the Tribal Council Phase, players openly discuss in the chat a set of questions, and then have the rest of the time to freely discuss (in the game chat) what the plan is, ect. Players must have their vote sent by the end of the day phase in a conversation to the Host and only the host. If their vote is not sent, then they will not be able to participate in the next challenge. The person with the most votes at the end of each tribal council loses the game and can no longer participate in any conversations or the game chat. If there is a tie vote, then there is a 12 hour revote period. If there is still a tie, then the first of the two tied players to complete a challenge wins, sending the other out of the game.

Basically, the tribal phase is when all of the plans come to cation, and all of the players vote for who they want to eliminate. They may not vote for anyone with an immunity necklace.

Revoting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4f0wbLvpc4

Regular tribal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDBj9Dq-OBU

The Night Phase

During the night phase, players do not have to announce who they are making a conversation with in chat. Besides that, it is a day phase.

Basically, it’s a time to make secret conversations with other players, which is made possible by not having to announce that you are conversing in the game chat. The night phase is a useful tool for secret plans.

As always, if there are any questions, just ask. I will be glad to help.

Last edited:

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
You can call me... the Dragon Slayer
Coach_Wade_PR_2010.jpg

Count me in chief

Last edited:

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Am I gonna need to dedicate a lot of time if I sign up for this. Ergo, if I'm too busy to play mafia, would I be best off to sit out?

Also I've never seen Survivor so the rules are still confusing for me but I'm sure I'll understand it better once I watch an episode.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Am I gonna need to dedicate a lot of time if I sign up for this. Ergo, if I'm too busy to play mafia, would I be best off to sit out?

Also I've never seen Survivor so the rules are still confusing for me but I'm sure I'll understand it better once I watch an episode.
This is most likely going to take as much time if not a bit more time than mafia.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
This is most likely going to take as much time if not a bit more time than mafia.
Mostly I meant would I need a lot of freetime during every day to dedicate, not so much as a whole. I'm avoiding signing up for mafia games because my current schedule doesn't really leave much time for it, so I'm wondering if this is the same kind of scenario or would I be able to get away with not being super active?

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Thank you, Tristan. While it will require activity to get far, you will still enjoy playing, I'm sure. Who knows, maybe inactive is the best strategy...

Just 2-4 more slots remaining, everyone! Once 2 sign up, I'm giving it a day or less before I close signups and start with 12.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom