• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS

Fig

The Altruist
I am very excited to see not only Mewtwo be available as DLC very soon, but bringing back Lucas truly made me leak tears of relief. I really wasn't expect for Lucas to return since Sakurai did implement his special moves as custom moves for Ness. What really makes me happy now is that any of the Smash veterans who have been removed from the game can now potentially return. For veterans, my vote goes for: Ice Climbers, Wolf, Roy, and Snake. As for brand new DLC characters, the possibilities are endless though I have already made a list of who I want the most: Shovel Knight, Chrom, Geno, Bandana Dee, Rundas, Issac, and Inklings.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
When Sakurai posts to Miiverse, you know some notable news is upon us. In this case, Lucas has a release date, among other tidbits.

Hey, Sakurai here. Long time no see.

I'm happy to announce that Lucas will be available beginning 08:00 AM on June 14 (PT), 17:00 (CEST) on June 14th, and 01:00 AM on June 15 (AEST).

The Splatoon Mii Fighter gear and the Miiverse stage for the Wii U version are included in this update as well. It'll be here soon!

Lucas is already finished, and I've been playing with him daily. It's really satisfying when his up smash and Meteor Smash attacks connect.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkJaxWr9Q

No sign of Tournament mode, but the other content we've know about is coming at this time. I hope Lucas has the same Down Smash Attack as in Brawl, it was definitely one of my favourite moves to use with him.

The release of this content is just days before E3 2015 and, thus, the Nintendo Digital Event. It's going to be a great week.

EDIT: Lucas also has a character page on the official site now, check it out here. In it, you can see eight new Wii U screenshots and two on 3DS, the first time we see him in that version. One of the Wii U screenshots happens to show off all eight of Lucas' palette swaps, as seen below:

screen-8.jpg

Last edited:

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
There's been a few new screenshots of the Miiverse stage in the Wii U version and the Inkling/Squid Mii Gear in both versions. You can see them on Nintendo Everything here.

It is to my understanding that Lucas and this Mii gear must be paid for, but the Miiverse stage is supplied free with the next update on this date. Do you think we will be getting balance changes as well? Either way, it's best to record your replays soon if you care for them.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Breaking news - just before Lucas and the other new content becomes available, there will be a live broadcast starring Sakurai himself. Here is his latest Miiverse post on the subject:

The update that includes Lucas will be available beginning 08:00 AM on June 14 (PT), 17:00 (CEST) on June 14th, and 01:00 AM on June 15 (AEST).

We made a special video broadcast to talk about the update. In it, I'll be on camera to give you all the details! We'll air the video online right before the update, at 07:40 AM on June 14 (PT), 16:40 (CEST) on June 14th, and 0:40 AM on June 15 (AEST). Please check it out before the update becomes available!

http://www.smashbros.com/

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkJ-Xncng

All the more reason to look forward to this time, I can't wait for it to begin.

I'm a bit confused about why they decided to make this into a separate direct. I was certain Smash Bros. would be part of the main presentation. Maybe there's a lot to cover. Regardless, I'm excited for more DLC character announcements. Is it time for Ryu in Smash Bros.? :P

Fig

The Altruist
Leaks seem to be the bane of Sakurai, because Ryu and Roy just got leaked! Victory movies when completing Classic Mode with Ryu and Roy! Roy looks so crisp and clean with that Awakening armor!

CHXiv-qWwAAyswG.png:large

Roy and Ryu costumes:
qzocURf.png

Mii Gunner costumes for Mega Man.EXE and Isabelle:

CHYDC0kVEAEH2gw.png

Mega Man Zero:

CHYHqMjUkAAo1Y6.png

Last edited:
These videos look too real to not be true. I, for one, welcome the entrance of one of fighting's most iconic mascots and the return of a Melee fan favorite. Man, if those two characters release tomorrow, I'll be blown away. Surely no one expected anything more than Lucas and a few balance changes. Also, bring on Dreamland 64 and the Inkling Girl trophy!

Dude, if people keep leaking the contents of Nintendo's E3, they might just as well cancel it. Leakers should go suck an egg or something.
You know SSB4 was going to have a good adventure mode but early on the work was leaked and Sakurai said if it can't be leak free I'll pull it from the game. So he pulled it from the game.

I do think they chose the wrong Ryu. I'd have preferred Ruy Hayabusa I even mae a Ryu Hayabusa basic move set in gif. It's below in a spoiler tag just because there's a lot of gifs here and they will take a long time to load.

Move Set
I will describe possible moves for Ryu Hayabusa for most button combinations. I'll use GIFs I've made from videos taken from playing Ninja Gaiden 2 NES, (Ninja Gaiden 3 for the side A upgraded sword move and Double Dragon 3 for a couple of jump attacks) on an emulator. So you can have a visual representation of the moves. This I feel is a better way to understand the character.

A - Dragon Sword
Down + A - I have not thought of a move for this. Possibly just a ducking sword stab.

ibjT0usXi3qXQE.gif

Left + A or Right + A - Dragon Sword Upgraded

i6kVKFdscrKf4.gif

Smash + A - Hard Kick

ibgwZ0DdNHigZA.gif

Up + A - Spin Slash (also works as a recovery move)

i6xUDsj3DSnWb.gif

Left + A or Right + A while in the air - Aerial Dragon Slash or an Aerial punch/kick (I have GIFs for both options)

iI2oxjptGmlGG.gif

ibfaJOyb3iuytt.gif

Aerial Recovery Move - Spin Slash. This means Ryu has no 2nd jump. Just one jump and the recovery. This is because I feel a 2nd jump with the wall climbing is a little OP.

B- Shuriken

ibbngk6x23Htk4.gif

Left + B or Right + B - Windmill Shuriken

i5L4krlBVnbRy.gif

Hold B for a few seconds without moving - Create a clone. The clone lasts for a short time (different to NG2) and only does 50% damage but mimics all of Ryu's moves.

i6xLoCB1hF9z1.gif

Up + B - Fire Ninpo

iLtrUIQw9Y2U.gif

Down + B - Fireball Ninpo

iyPacuYnL4t2K.gif

Throw - Nothing fancy here, just an average throw.

Block - Ryu parries the enemies moves with his sword

Super special ability from Smash Ball - Art of the Fire Wheel Ninpo - Makes Ryu invincible for a limited time and damaging anyone who comes into contact with the Fire Wheel. You could also majorly slow down the sun speed of every other character to make it easier for Ryu to run into everyone else and cause major damage.

ibrytyk1s33bqR.gif

Character Ability - Wall Climbing

i8PeW1omkMGb5.gif

I am super glad Fire Emblem Roy is back. He (my my opinion and many others opinion) had to be in the game. His removal from Brawl and the starting line up of SSB4 was a crime. But a crime that been rectified for SSB4.

Ryu I think is a strange choice. Sure there was the hadouken in Mega Man X. And there are many other SF Ryu references around. But I don't know why he made the cut. Maybe Capcom pushed Nintendo into it. Who knows. I guess some people will like him.

And in my opinion Fountain of Dreams > Dreamland 64 in terms of stage quality.

Here's a video for you all:

It's the first showing of the Melee opening video back at E3 2001. The crowd seriously went wild for it. Notice also, Bill Trinen's hair crimes. Wow that was a really bad haircut there :) .

Last edited by a moderator:
Sakurai took adventure mode out of the game? Now I really hate him
He was starting to work on it. Not much had been done admittedly. But he had a few videos done and they were leaked. And Sakurai basically said because these were leaked, I have zero control over anything else leaking and I wanted the mode to be a surprise till the gamer played or Nintendo revealed it so he canned the adventure mode project for SSB4. Nothing lost as they'd done little work on it by that point. But it happened.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
The data-mining has practically been complete, so if you want to see all the new Lucas, Roy and Ryu assets, there's a great compilation of all new information here on SourceGaming.

Reminder that the Smash Brothers presentation with Sakurai begins in roughly 11.5 hours. Despite what has happened, I highly recommend a live viewing still.

You know SSB4 was going to have a good adventure mode but early on the work was leaked and Sakurai said if it can't be leak free I'll pull it from the game. So he pulled it from the game.

This is incorrect, Adventure Mode footage/assets were never leaked, and by the way Sakurai worded it, they probably don't even exist. Adventure Mode wasn't made because people would deliberately spoil themselves of its plot early, like many did with the Subspace Emissary for Brawl. This may have been a blessing in disguise, as the time taken to create a full fledged story with CGI cutscenes is immense, and would have taken time away from the creation of other content put into the game. Hopefully we can see the addition of a new story mode post-release as downloadable content or in a future update. If it were to release the same day worldwide, there'd be no reason for people to spoil themselves (provided it isn't leaked...)

...and wow, were you the one who made the Ninja Gaiden Ryu moveset years ago? I remember reading that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom