• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Stupid Thought About Sea of Clouds...

Cyg

One-Winged Skyward Angel
If there's supposed to be an impenetrable barrier of clouds between the surface world and Skyloft, and Skyloftians can't see the surface world, then why is it that when you are in the surface world, it's always sunny... :P Kind of odd, don't you think?

(ps, I understand it's sunny for the sake of just gameplay, and Nintendo logic rules over real world logic here, but still - it's weird!!!)

Feral

The Drifter
The thunderhead is so high up you can't see it from the ground?

funny I thought the same thing....maybe since the skyloft is magical maybe that cloud barrier is invisible when your on the ground......or maybe it's an illusion maybe it's not there.....I don't know

Feral

The Drifter
Well if you think about it the people of Skyloft can't see the ground either so it works both ways.

Cyg

One-Winged Skyward Angel
Wait, if the surface world can see the actual sky, not the clouds, they why can't they see Skyloft??? o_O

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
The same reason I have a fictional world (original writing, the series on my blog - first link in my sig) in which the lands are divided into night and day but the people who live in the night-land can see things like it's day to us and the plants and trees still grow: MAGIC.

Yeah, I thought that was weird, too, then dismissed it as "This is Hyrule / proto-Hyrule. The laws of nature only work selectively here." It's like when I was in the Earth Temple and my guy was watching me play and he was doing his science-shrugging and I was making commentary on how Link can walk on bare ground / a stone ball that had seconds ago been coated in live magma without burning his little feet off: "You know there is no such thing as convection in Zelda!"

If you want me to get my fanfiction-writing obesessiveness on... hmm. Perhaps the cloud barrier is something of an illusion for the people of Skyloft. - It works like two-way mirror. They see nothing but clouds but the sun can "look in" or shine in on the earth below because bending of the light waves makes it like looking through the window portion of a two-way mirror.

Hmm???

Cyg

One-Winged Skyward Angel
The same reason I have a fictional world (original writing, the series on my blog - first link in my sig) in which the lands are divided into night and day but the people who live in the night-land can see things like it's day to us and the plants and trees still grow: MAGIC.

Yeah, I thought that was weird, too, then dismissed it as "This is Hyrule / proto-Hyrule. The laws of nature only work selectively here." It's like when I was in the Earth Temple and my guy was watching me play and he was doing his science-shrugging and I was making commentary on how Link can walk on bare ground / a stone ball that had seconds ago been coated in live magma without burning his little feet off: "You know there is no such thing as convection in Zelda!"

If you want me to get my fanfiction-writing obesessiveness on... hmm. Perhaps the cloud barrier is something of an illusion for the people of Skyloft. - It works like two-way mirror. They see nothing but clouds but the sun can "look in" or shine in on the earth below because bending of the light waves makes it like looking through the window portion of a two-way mirror.

Hmm???

Them what explains the surface world not being able to see skyloft, if light passes through normally? o_O (or is it that they can only see the shadow of skyloft, that falls on the sealed grounds, and that's why the sealed grounds is so dark???) o_O

Them what explains the surface world not being able to see skyloft, if light passes through normally? o_O (or is it that they can only see the shadow of skyloft, that falls on the sealed grounds, and that's why the sealed grounds is so dark???) o_O

Within the immediate vicinity of Skyloft (in the sky) there must a literal cloud barrier. That is to say, a barrier of which is exempt from "magic" or what have you. This would imply that the clouds in that part of the sky are visible to the world below - blocking view of Skyloft and its satellite islands (Beedles' Island, Pumpkin Landing, etc.) However, if this is the case, I'm sure someone in the world below would find it suspicious that there's a part of the sky where there's ALWAYS clouds. Then there's the large cumulonimbus cloud formation known as The Thunderhead. I'm sure the inhabitants of the world below might wonder why it's always there. In the real world thunderheads are associated with thunderstorm as the name implies. More realistically, all this is assuming the Zelda universe actually adheres to the real-world's laws of science and weather phenomena, which isn't the case. lol

Skyward-Sword-World-Map-e1319828074315.png

If anything, it might have to do with geography with regards to the location of the three provinces in relation to Skyloft. Perhaps Skyloft and its satellite islands, including the Thunderhead islands are simply out of view to their location in the sky. If you look at the SS map, which is conveniently placed in Cyg's siggy [noparse]:P[/noparse], Skyloft floats in the center, but its true location puts it right above the Sealed Grounds. This combined with the aforementioned "literal cloud cover/barrier" and the fact that nothing inhabits the areas surrounding the Sealed Grounds might suffice as reasons behind the disparity in the view of the sky... They are simply out of the range of view.

On a slightly off-topic note: The "holes" in the clouds above the barrier with bright streams of light shooting from them are just there for the sake of gameplay. This explains why bird riders, knights, and the like don't get curious and try to fly there; they aren't visible to them in the game world. This or the idea that nothing exists in the world below is not a literal notion, but much rather a warning that nothing "of the Skyloftians' interest" exists there. They are probably aware that things "exist" there, but given the stories told to them about the world below, any down there is BAD. It might seem like I'm going a bit off on a tangent here, but what I'm getting at is the cloud barrier - as seen from above the sky is more of a visual barrier than a solid one. From the world below, the rest of the sky might be visible, save for the aforementioned "literal" clouds surrounding Skyloft - barring its [the world below's] view of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyg

One-Winged Skyward Angel
On a slightly off-topic note: The "holes" in the clouds above the barrier with bright streams of light shooting from them are just there for the sake of gameplay. This explains why bird riders, knights, and the like don't get curious and try to fly there; they aren't visible to them in the game world. This or the idea that nothing exists in the world below is not a literal notion, but much rather a warning that nothing "of the Skyloftians' interest" exists there. They are probably aware that things "exist" there, but given the stories told to them about the world below, any down there is BAD. It might seem like I'm going a bit off on a tangent here, but what I'm getting at is the cloud barrier - as seen from above the sky is more of a visual barrier than a solid one. And as said here it might just exist an illusion, save for the aforementioned "literal" clouds surrounding Skyloft.

On that note, though, there is one certain individual that became curious over the course of the storyline, and we all know who that is...

On that note, though, there is one certain individual that became curious over the course of the storyline, and we all know who that is...

Groose was let through along with Link for sake of story. The likelihood that bird riders and other flyers-through can't see the holes in the clouds with bright light shooting out still exists.

Yours truly said:
This or the idea that nothing exists in the world below is not a literal notion, but much rather a warning that nothing "of the Skyloftians' interest" exists there. They are probably aware that things "exist" there, but given the stories told to them about the world below, any down there is BAD. It might seem like I'm going a bit off on a tangent here, but what I'm getting at is the cloud barrier - as seen from above the sky is more of a visual barrier than a solid one. And as said here it might just exist an illusion, save for the aforementioned "literal" clouds surrounding Skyloft.

This is why we hear "whatever falls there is lost" or "there's nothing below the clouds [that would "benefit" us]" from the citizens of Skyloft. Sounds to me like a cautionary tale - threatening perilous...

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom