• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Art Stormy Skies: the Fanfic

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
PART 2 - CHAPTER 4

“Did you see Prince Fletcher a little bit ago? He looked like he’s been flying his whole life!”

“I know, right? They say King Link was the same way when he met his loftwing. The apple doesn’t fall too far from the tree...”

“Yeah. Speaking of which, did you see that one kid? He got a CRIMSON RED. I thought that color was extinct!”

“Me too. These are amazing times we live in.”

Lorcan stifled a groan. The entire bazaar was buzzing about the ceremony and how great it was, and frankly, he was tired of it. Where was his mother at? She was supposed to be back fifteen minutes ago! He wanted to get up, lock the storage boxes, and go home for the rest of the day. But the last time he left the shop unattended during business hours he got a lecture about being responsible and how he was letting customers down.

The bell at the front of the shop rang. Great...now he had to talk to a customer. But to his surprise, when he came out of the storage area, there was his father standing there with a bag of food.

“I brought you lunch.” Cawlin announced. “Figured you might be hungry.”

Lorcan opened the bag. There was a turkey sandwich, smothered in mayonnaise like he liked. There was also a cup of pumpkin soup. “Where’s Mom?” He asked in between bites.

“Came down with the stomach flu all of a sudden. We’re going to have to close down shop until she’s better. Unless you want to take over full time...”

“Oh. Nah, closing down is fine with me.”

Cawlin could tell his son was feeling down. Usually his favorite lunch was enough to cheer him up, but today it wasn’t working. He had been afraid of that, and although he was happy for the new recruits, he wished he could share the pride that the other parents had. His mind raced as he tried to find the right thing to say.

“You know,” He began, placing a hand on Lorcan’s shoulder. “Merchants are just as important as knights. And, they tend to be wealthier...”

“Yeah, but knights get more glory.”

“But merchants don’t have the risk of not coming home from work alive.”

“Quit, Dad!” Lorcan pulled away from his father and put up the closed sign. “Let’s just go home. I’m tired of sitting here listening to everybody talk about how wonderful my friends are.” He shoved the rest of the sandwich into his mouth and stormed off with the cup of soup in his hands.

Cawlin followed, shaking his head. There had to be some way to make the boy feel better...

Orion ran up to the two as soon as he saw them. He was shaking, and his expression made it obvious that something was wrong. “This is terrible!” He blurted out. “Fletcher’s been attacked!” There was a slight commotion behind him. Fletcher and Cedar were on the ground by a tree, Blizzard was pecking at the prince’s clothes, and Roc was pacing back and forth nervously. A crowd was beginning to gather, people were standing nearby, some were staring.

Lorcan just walked past without another word. Cawlin tilted his head. “Looks like he just ran into a tree to me-”

“Something dive bombed him and he hit the tree trying to get away!” Orion interrupted. “Somebody, go get help!”

As if on cue, Zelda came running with Link behind her. She went straight to the scene of the accident. “I knew something was wrong! Go get a medic, Link!” Neither of them had seen the attack and resulting crash. Zelda had just gotten up and ran out of the courtyard all of a sudden. To Link, that goddess granted intuition was getting more amazing every time it kicked in.

“He hit his face hard, but he’ll be fine.” The medic said after a quick examination. “It looks worse than it is. Sit up, lad. We don’t want you losing any more blood from that bloody nose.” Fletcher slowly pulled himself up, then tried to stand. The medic made him sit again. “I said sit up, not stand up.”

“...Cedar. Is Cedar okay?”

“I’m not a vet.” The medic said bluntly. “But I think so. Loftwings are tough birds. It takes more than smacking into a tree to harm them too badly.” He turned to Link and Zelda and bowed. “Don’t worry, milord and milady. Since he’s alert and talking, he doesn’t have a concussion. But if the bloody nose doesn’t go away before tonight, come see me. He might be sore for awhile, but a simple ice pack will help that.”

Link thanked the medic, then knelt down beside his son. “...What happened here? Please don’t tell me you were already trying to do tricks.”

“I wasn’t, I was racing Roc.”

Roc could feel the tension in the crowd. A few people had their eyes on him, his mother included. “It’s not my fault! By the time I noticed something was up, it had already happened...”

“I saw something try to dive bomb him. He ran into the tree trying to dodge it, and whatever it was is gone now. Roc had nothing to do with it.” Orion defended his friend.

“Wait a second.” Cass stepped forward. “Is this...a loftwing feather?” She picked up a gray feather off the ground.

“I don’t know, you’re the tracker.” Talor pointed out.
“Okay, everybody go back to what you were doing.” Zelda shooed the crowd away. “No more standing here gawking. Knights and council may stay.”

After the villagers were gone, Zelda examined the feather for a few seconds before shrugging. “It could be from any species of bird. I’m no expert.”

“Let me see it.” Pipit held out his hand. Zelda gave him the feather, then he nodded slowly. “I’m pretty sure it is a loftwing feather. Too small to be a flight one though. My best guess is that it comes from the head or neck.”

“So, a loftwing did this?” Cass blinked.

“Or it was something else and a loftwing just happened to be passing through and lost a feather. We need more evidence.” Pipit turned to Orion, who was beginning to leave. “Wait, Orion.” The boy stopped and turned around. “How big was the thing?” Pipit asked.

“About...kargarok sized. I think maybe a bit bigger. It was gray.”

“The same gray as this?” Pipit showed Orion the feather.

“I think so. It was moving pretty fast.”

Link shivered. “Folks, I think we might have a rogue knight on our hands...”

“Sure looks that way.” Pipit agreed. “But metal gray is a common color. What are we going to do, question all of the knights whose birds are that color?”

“There’s only three or four that I can think of off the top of my head, but I can only think of one who I can see doing something like this.” Zelda said, shaking her head sadly. “I find it wise to question him first. I hate to say it, but I think we all know who I’m talking about.”

After a moment of awkward silence, Katherine raised her hand. “I volunteer. I will find him and bring him in for questioning.”

“You go ahead and do that.” Link nodded. “Now...meeting dismissed.”

Last edited:

Dragoncat

PART 2 - CHAPTER 5

“I will be waiting in the basement of this old rickety temple. Come see me when you’re done, but be warned: the basement isn’t exactly the friendliest place for humans...”

That had been what the demon Torsten had told him, and he had scoffed at that last statement. He wasn’t a spineless coward. He didn’t need a warning...or at least that’s how he felt at first. The demon was right. As soon as he descended, a zombie bokoblin leaped onto his back and tried to fit his entire head in its mouth. He managed to get it off and kill it, but then he lost his footing and fell in the purple mucky water. Those stories about the cursed water that causes whoever touches it to be temporarily paralyzed from the waist up? They weren’t old wives’ tales. He was lucky it didn’t make one lose the use of their legs as well...but not being able to move one’s arms meant not being able to swing a sword or anything else. That could prove fatal in an ambush. He never wanted to feel like a fat helpless dodo bird again.

This place was more like a cave than a basement. It was big, dark, and it smelled like a mix between sulfur and the locker room by the sparring hall. There was a rock formation in front of him that looked like a monster’s face. In one of the alcoves that resembled eyes, Torsten was perched. Grenn could tell it was him because he was bigger than the keese he had run into on his way down. Keese had glowing yellow eyes too, but not with a gleam of intelligence in them. And they typically didn’t munch on the big puffer fish known as froaks.

“I hate it when froak quills get stuck in my teeth.” Torsten griped as he swooped down and landed. He thrust a claw in his mouth and picked out the quill, then threw it on the ground. “You’re all wet, One Eye. You can’t swim in the water here...I assume you already found that out though.”

“My name is not One Eye.”

“Right. But it fits you, and it’s easy for me to remember. So One Eye you shall be.” Torsten snickered, showing his sharp teeth.

There was a screech from above, and a furnix flew down and landed on Torsten’s shoulder. Torsten stroked his pet’s feathers. “Ah, Bloodburn...It’s been awhile. Why so startled?”

Grenn was both shocked and annoyed. He didn’t know demons kept pets...and of all things, why a furnix? He hated those things. They were the reason he looked the way he did now. Torsten turned to him and chuckled. “What, you thought you were the only species that has birdy friends? You thought wrong. Now let’s cut to the chase-”

He was interrupted by another, louder screech from Bloodburn. Zombie bokoblins began crawling out of the shadows, but instead of heading for Grenn, they gathered near the walls and structures leading up to the top floor. Through a hole in the ceiling, a purple loftwing with a rider was visible. The zombie bokoblins cackled and hooted.

“We have company. Fantastic.” Torsten growled. “And now that the bokoblins have smelled human, it won’t be long before they notice you too. You have two choices: stay and risk becoming dead meat, or leave. Don’t even try telling me whether or not you succeeded. They’re making too much noise.”

“I’m pretty sure I can take them-”

“Feeling lucky, One Eye? Well that’s stupid. They’re vicious and you have half your field of vision gone. There’s tens of them, and one, or two, of you.”

The demon had a point. And besides, that furnix was glaring at him like it wanted to scorch his other eye out. It even resembled the one from twelve years ago, it had the same coal black eyes and red patches. Grenn knew it couldn’t be the exact same one, Cass had killed it. But it could be a relation...either way, this was not good. He was stuck between a rock and a hard place, cornered by dangerous monsters and what he expected to be one of Link and Zelda’s scouts.

Torsten had told him that getting rid of the prince would be an effective method of revenge. But he never really specified whether he meant revenge for the demons or revenge for the knight who had gotten the short end of the stick. Grenn hadn’t been thinking straight. He should’ve not attacked in broad daylight...something more subtle like poison in a drink would’ve worked better. But...he didn’t want to kill the boy. Only hurt him. Severely. Something to dull the pride of the so called “chosen ones of the gods.”

“I thought humans were supposed to be near the top of the food chain! Snap out of it, you embarrassment to nature!” Torsten flicked Grenn’s ear with a claw. He was seriously doubting his previous judgement. One Eye was acting like a spooked deer, how pathetic.

Grenn turned, his single hazel eye narrowed in annoyance. He then turned his back on Torsten and started toward a rope hanging down from the first floor. The zombie bokoblins yanked on the rope, some started climbing it, as he began to scale it. They were stupid creatures with the attention span of gnats...but they knew who their enemies were, and with the purple loftwing out of sight, they were now aiming for the only human they could see.

He was grateful for all the time he spent on the ropes courses in the academy. One of the zombie bokoblins almost reached him, but as soon as the light hit it, it screamed in pain and threw itself back down to the basement. If Grenn would’ve known sunlight harmed those things, he would’ve brought a mirror or something reflective.

Talons closed around the leather strap over his shoulder, and he was lifted into the air. He struggled, yelling and cursing, and his sword fell out and became wedged into a wall.

“Quit flopping around!” The voice was Katherine’s. “You’ll cooperate if you know what’s good for you.” Grenn was placed on the roof once they were outside. “Hanna, hold him down.” Katherine had her loftwing restrain Grenn as she tied him up with a rope. “If you would’ve gone without a fight, I wouldn’t have had to hogtie you.”

Torsten had taken an alternate route to the top floor, one that kept him in the shadows, away from the eyes of the humans. He had arrived in time to see One Eye be carried outside, and through the window, he saw the female wrap him in rope, throw him onto the back of her purple bird, and fly away. He shook his head, snickering to himself. Knowing humans, he wouldn’t get much more punishment than a slap on the wrist and perhaps a month or so locked up. They apparently DID have some crimes that were punishable by death, but Torsten had never heard of it actually happening. Humans were softhearted by nature. They didn’t like killing their own.

There was something shiny in the wall across from him. He spread his wings and glided over to it, landing on one of the vine covered pillars. The object was clearly one of those sharp metal sticks that humans used as weapons, since they had no claws. To substitute magic blasts, they had those round exploding things, and the pointy stick throwers. Torsten had to admit, they were clever...

But they were still his enemies. Now what was he to do with the human weapon...

Ganondork

goo
Alright, I'm all caught up now. I like the direction that you are taking with the story, and there is visible improvement as the chapters progress. Awesome job, Dragoncat!

If I could offer a piece of critique, I'd say that you are still a bit vague on descriptions. Namely when it comes to landscapes. I know that your readers have all played Skyward Sword, but some details are always nice. Other than that, it's a pretty solid story. Keep it up, and you'll continue improving.

Ganondork

goo
That is very possible, and it's a mistake that I make all the time. Don't get hung up on it. When you finish a chapter, re-read it, and think to yourself, "Can I see this vividly?" and if the answer is no, then add more detail. Also remember that adding certain details to the environment can have sybmolic meaning, which adds depth to your writing.

Dragoncat

PART 2 - CHAPTER 6

“Moommm! Daadddd!” Kestrel darted around several of the knights in the castle courtyard, trampling Strich on her way to where her parents were. The tall blond knight had been sprawled out on the ground looking for bugs under a rock. He let out a yelp when the princess stepped on him, then sat up and asked her if she’d ever been taught manners.

“She has been taught manners.” Link’s tone was serious, but he was laughing on the inside. “But she doesn’t always use them.”

“Well just make sure she uses them from now on. I think she bruised my back.” Strich grumbled as he got up and walked away.

“Now that you’ve made an idiot out of yourself, what’s the deal? And can it wait? Your mother and I were trying to sleep.”

“Last time I checked, you were the only one napping.” Zelda elbowed Link in the ribs. “I was reading this old book. Did you know-”

“I got told I would wreck if I got a loftwing, and Fletcher was old enough, so why did HE wreck?” Kestrel interrupted.

Link and Zelda looked at each other for a few seconds. Both were wondering whether it would be wise to tell Kestrel the whole story or not. Zelda knew if Link got to respond, he would regret it later. So she gave him a nod before turning to Kestrel with a neutral expression. “He wrecked because...a monster attacked him. If it would’ve happened a year or so later, when he’ll be more used to flying, he would’ve been able to get away without running into a tree.”

“The monster is gone now.” Link added. “And he’s fine. He’s not hurt too badly.”

“I figured that, because he’s in the target range now. He’s not hitting much though and I think I heard him say a bad word.”

Link flinched at that. He had to start watching his language a little better...obviously the kids were picking it up. Zelda noticed his reaction and chuckled softly. “Could’ve been anybody, dear...but I would be more careful if I were you.”

“Your Highnesses.” Katherine waved from the courtyard gate. “The cucco is back in the coop.”

“A cucco got out? When? And where are you going?”

“There you are!” Raiden ran up to Kestrel, holding a leather kickball. “We’re playing boys against girls dodgeball. Unless you want two against one, meet me at the field next to the bazaar!”

Zelda smiled as the two kids left. “That was close.”

“Tell me about it.” Link huffed. “I wonder where she gets her nosiness from?”

“All kids tend to be that way. Allan still asks me anything and everything about John. He reminds me more of him every day.” Katherine sighed. “But anyway. Our cucco was clear at Ancient Cistern. And as I suspected, he wasn’t very happy to see me.”

“Where is he now? In the trial room?”

“No Link, he’s back at Skyloft.” Zelda rolled her eyes, laughing. “Gods, you are so dense when you first wake up from a nap!”

“You DID tell me to put him there.” Katherine chuckled.

----

The trial room was actually a multi purpose room in the castle, used for whatever it was needed. Most of the time it was used for storage of random odds and ends, including the things Link had gotten on his quest that didn’t have much use now: the beetle, clawshots, gust bellows, mogma mitts, fireshield earrings, water dragon’s scale, and whip. The scattershot had been given to Fletcher when he was six, but for less than a day because he got caught shooting at windows. Now it was collecting dust in a closet.

Everything that could be used as a weapon or tool had been removed from the room, leaving only the furniture. Grenn was no longer hogtied, but he was in handcuffs. Katherine had made it loud and clear that even though she didn’t tie him to a chair, that didn’t give him the right to go rampaging out when the door was unlocked and opened. Everyone who would be attending the trial had been given the wooden swords used for sparring, and they weren’t afraid to conk him over the head with them if he got unruly, as many times as it took to make him back down.

“What held you up?” Cass’ voice came from outside the door. “I’ve been here for like five minutes.”

“It hasn’t started yet.” That was Talor.

“I know, I just expected you to get here sooner.”

There was a pause. “The younger kids are playing dodgeball. Tyto got hit in the mouth and there was some blood. Jayla freaked out...so yeah.”

More footsteps, then Groose’s voice. “Is he still tied up like a pig? Do we get to poke him with these sticks?”

“I HEARD that!” Grenn got up and kicked the door as hard as he could. Being dragged into town in ropes was humiliating enough without that big oaf seeing the whole thing.

“Does that answer your question?” Cass sounded annoyed.

“Quit taunting the suspect.” Link’s voice. “The wooden swords are to be used wisely...got it? If anyone causes a riot, I will jab them in the butt with my sword and herd them out like a cow. Cass, quit pointing fingers. Talor, quit laughing.”
There was an awkward silence for about a minute, then Zelda’s voice. “Everyone’s here...” Then the door opened. Grenn had retreated to the couch and was sitting there looking like a kid in time out.

“I actually kinda feel sorry for him...” Pipit whispered to Karane.

“What? Why?” Karane was convinced Grenn was guilty. But she kept her voice down.

“Because,” Pipit whispered back. “I hate seeing a noble knight sink so low. Losing his eye obviously made him snap.”

Karane didn’t have time to reply. Link was already addressing Grenn. “You’ve been brought here on account of the attack that happened this afternoon. You are a suspect. I’ll have you know that the children are the future of the kingdom and any attempts to harm any of them will NOT be tolerated-”

“Let me go already! So we can find the REAL culprit!”

“Don’t interrupt!” Zelda thrust her finger in Grenn’s face, staring him down. “We have evidence that links you to the attack.” She took the gray loftwing feather out of her pocket and showed it to Grenn.

“Oh, a gray feather!” Grenn rolled his eye. “A common colored feather has been found! But I don’t see Griff, Turk, or Pidge in cuffs! Because paladins are perfect and never do anything wrong!” Since there was no longer the danger of falling off the edge of Skyloft since nobody lived there now, the rescue knights had been repurposed. Paladins were what the high ranked knights were called before on the surface, so Link and Zelda had recycled that term. The paladins were the only ones who could fly at night. They often served as guards, and there was at least one paladin in a tower keeping watch every night.

Link shook his head. “The paladins are by no means perfect. But as much as I hate to say it, I can’t see any of them doing something like this. You, on the other hand, have been mad at the world for over a decade now. It’s no fault of my son. Please find a different outlet for that anger. Better yet, get over it. Nobody likes it when somebody gets wounded and spends the rest of their life throwing a pity party.”

“And the only evidence is a gray feather! How do you know it’s even a loftwing feather? I refuse to be pushed around by a so-called king who had to have an imposter pose as him to get rid of a demon, when he supposedly killed the king of all demons all by himself! I’m surrounded by hypocrites and idiots and liars!”

“Call my wife a liar again and I’ll whomp you!” Groose bristled in anger. “Trackers know what loftwing feathers look like!” Talor had his hands clenched into fists, and Cass had gotten her wooden sword out and was gripping it tightly.

“Nobody’s going to be whomped. UNLESS there’s no other option.” Link’s voice was calm, but Zelda could tell he was losing his patience. He was starting to get that look that she usually only saw in the heat of battle. If Grenn said anything more, she couldn’t guarantee that her husband wouldn’t fly off the handle. The one eyed knight was becoming a major problem, but that didn’t mean there needed to be a brawl.

“Katherine, give me the key to the handcuffs.”

Katherine blinked in confusion, but handed over the key.

“Thank you.” Zelda flashed a slight smile before turning to Grenn. “I’m going to let you go. But don’t think you’re off the hook, you’re still under investigation. Leave this building without another word and things will be better for everyone.”

The handcuffs were removed. Grenn opened his mouth, but no words came out. The queen’s mercy had left him, along with everyone else, speechless.

The fury in Link’s eyes was starting to simmer down. Groose was standing there with his mouth open and his eyes widened, Cass and Talor were looking at each other with dumbfounded looks on their faces...they had both said twin telepathy didn’t exist every time they were asked about it, but they looked like they were sharing thoughts now.

“Zelda.” Karane said after Grenn was out of sight. “I know I’m not supposed to question the royal decisions, but...was that really the best idea?”

“We were getting nowhere fast.” Zelda explained. “He’s too stubborn to turn himself in. He would argue like that until he was blue in the face if we let him. And he...” She gestured to Link. “Was about to snap his neck. Or crack his skull like an egg. Or both.”

“He was insulting me and my council...but seriously? I would never go after one of my own with even a wooden blade with the intent to kill.”

“You should’ve seen the look in your eyes.” Pipit stepped forward. “Last time I saw that, you were looking at one of those demons. And then you literally chopped his head off.”

Link sighed. “Doesn’t matter now. Let’s just hope he learned his lesson, but in case he hasn’t...we should keep a closer eye on him. If he does anything suspicious, anything at all, you all know what to do.”

Slowly but surely, everyone returned to their daily routines and activities. The dodgeball game had tired the youngsters out, so they went their separate ways. Groose grabbed his tools and began tinkering with his catapult, trying to fix a stuck lever. Roc managed to convince Cass to take him flying to Lake Floria. Nobody paid much attention to the one eyed knight retreating to his cabin and locking the door behind him. He had possibly been given the benefit of the doubt...either way, he needed his space.

Last edited:

Dragoncat

PART 2 - CHAPTER 7

Sounds of metal hitting metal resonated throughout the plaza. A few people walked past Groose and his machine, but he didn’t notice. He never even lifted his head once. He was determined to get that lever to work again.

A gear flew off, and there was a squawk. The nightsky black loftwing had been too curious for his own good. He always wondered what it was with his master and that contraption...but now he was wishing he’d stayed away.

“Aw, I’m sorry Dart. Did that hit you?” Groose looked up, frowning. Dart gave him a dirty look and clicked his beak. A quick examination revealed that the bird wasn’t harmed, which was a good thing. Groose picked up the gear and put it back in its place.

He was tightening the loose gear when he heard flapping wings, then Roc’s voice. “I got to meet a dragon, Dad! She was kinda scary at first, but she’s really cool! She even knew Mom!”

Groose looked up and blinked. “When’d you get acquainted with THAT weirdo reptile?”

“Long time ago. Before you and me were even dating. And you’re lucky she can’t hear you call her that.” Cass laughed.

“She must’ve met Uncle Talor too. She asked about him. She knows Fletcher’s parents, but she didn’t seem to know who you are.”

“Yeah, when I introduced him to her as my son, the first thing she did was ask who my mate was. Your name didn’t ring a bell, but your description did. All I had to do was say you were the big guy with the yellow eyes and hair the same color as mine. Her response was: ‘I’d like to see the courtship method that worked for that big noisy lunk.’ Got an explanation for that?”

Groose shrugged awkwardly. “I think I might have been testing the Groosenator near the lake once...it needed oiled big time...”

“Right now it looks like it’s seen better days.” Cass walked over and kicked the catapult. “Hunk of junk...”

“Hey! This ‘hunk of junk’ happened to be the only thing keeping a huge fat ugly evil monster from getting out and destroying the world as we know it! Ask Link!”

“From what I heard, all you did was launch him onto its head. What’s your point...anyway. I’m no expert, but I don’t think you’ll be able to salvage that lever.”

“Gah, it’s getting dark anyway. No sense in staying out here all night hammering and pounding on everything.” Groose got up, stretched, and yawned slightly. “Last time I did that I got yelled at by like five different people.”

“Don’t be out here doing that as soon as the sun comes up either, Dad. Some people like to sleep in.”
Cass nodded in agreement and ruffled Roc’s hair. “Sleeping on it would be a good idea, I agree.”

----

“Rise and shine! The bazaar is about to open, we don’t want to keep the customers waiting!”

Lorcan’s gray eyes flickered open, then he groaned and covered his face with a pillow.

“NOW, Lorcan.” Cawlin gave the covers a yank and threw them off the bed. “You’ve had plenty of sleep. Get up before I get a bucket of water.”

Peatrice was going to the doctor this morning about her chronic stomach flu. That meant Lorcan had to be the lone shopkeeper...again. But he ate his breakfast, got dressed, and made his way to the bazaar without any further complaints.

The atmosphere was different. The Item Check was right next to the Scrap Shop, and normally clanks and clangs were audible...as well as the robot Scrapper’s buzzy voice. Scrapper was always quite vocal, he had even cussed like a drunk quite a few times. Gondo constantly had to tell him to watch his language around customers. None of those sounds were here today.

Lorcan glanced over at the Scrap Shop. Yep, Gondo was there...but he didn’t look like himself. He was in the back of the shop, huddled over the table, but he didn’t appear to be fixing anything. Scrapper was nowhere to be seen.

When the Scrap Shop’s bell rang, Gondo quickly stood up and turned around. Talor was at the counter, holding a beat up wooden shield. “...What happened?” Talor asked when Gondo was at the front of the shop. “You look like there’s been a death in your family.”

Gondo took the shield and the payment. “That might not be that far from the truth...” He stepped aside and gestured to a pile of metal on the table in the back.

Talor squinted. “...Scrapper?”

“Yes. I found him like this last night. Usually he shows up around sunset if he hasn’t already...he didn’t, so I went looking for him. I didn’t have to go far. He was right at the edge of town. I could hardly sleep last night, I was so worried!”

Lorcan got up and hobbled over to the Scrap Shop. If the robot was dead...or broken beyond repair, which was the more proper term for machines, things would quickly get boring around the bazaar. He would miss that bucket of bolts and his snarky attitude. Plus, he knew how much Gondo cared about him. His parents wouldn’t mind him leaving his post for a few minutes...would they?

“Oh, hi Lorcan.” Gondo said. “You heard that whole thing, didn’t you...”

“Sure did.”

Talor started drumming on the counter with his fingers. “I would say take him to Groose, but he’s more of a...non living machine kind of guy, if that makes sense. I wouldn’t expect him to know the first thing about fixing a robot.” He paused for a second. “Oh! Isn’t there some kind of desert flower that has oil that works miracles on robots?”

“All that does is remove rust. Won’t work...”

“Is he supposed to be missing some bolts right there?”

Gondo blinked. “Where?”

“Right here.” Lorcan pointed at three small holes in the side of Scrapper’s head.

“Yeah I think he needs those there.” Gondo grabbed a wrench and three bolts, then one by one, put them in their places. The robot began to flicker with electrical energy.

Gondo was grinning from ear to ear. “You’re a genius, lad!”

“Oof!” Lorcan stiffened as Gondo lifted him up and gave him a bear hug. “You’re welcome, but please put me down!”

“Bzzt! Why are you squeezing the **** out of that cripple?”

Talor burst into a laugh. Gondo put Lorcan down and turned to Scrapper. “This ‘cripple’ saved you. I’d be nicer to him.”

“First I get whacked by one of those red creeps. Then I wake up and there’s a child with a bad foot in my shop, zrrt. Today is not my day. Bzz.”

“Now we know what happened!” Talor exclaimed. “A bokoblin must’ve knocked those bolts loose.”

“Groose sent me for some oil-” Cass approached the Scrap Shop, and did a double take when she saw Lorcan behind the counter. “...Aren’t you supposed to be in the Item Check?”

“He was, but Scrapper got bolts knocked out of him last night by a bokoblin, and he was down for the count, and Lorcan figured that out. The missing bolts, I mean...”

Lorcan nodded at Talor’s statement. “Yeah, but I better get back to the only thing that makes me useful before I get in trouble.”

“...What?” Talor noticed his sister’s expression, she looked like she had a plan. “You thinking...” His voice lowered. “What I think you’re thinking?”

“If it’s let the kid try to help with the Groosenator, then yep.” Cass stepped in front of Lorcan before he could get back to the Item Check. “I have an idea. How would you like to help Groose with his catapult? He’s been tinkering with it for two days now...if you can fix it, there’s a silver rupee with your name on it. Talor will watch the shop while you’re gone.”

Talor opened his mouth to protest, but quickly closed it and nodded. “Yeah I’ll write down who wants what out and who wants what in. Or you can just give me the key to the vault...”

Lorcan tossed him the key. It landed on the floor, but Talor picked it up before it could slide under the counter.

“I don’t think we’ll be longer than ten or fifteen minutes, but...if it takes too long I’ll bring him back.” Cass put a hand on Lorcan’s shoulder. While Roc seemed to have gotten the tall gene from his father, almost surpassing Cass in height already, Lorcan was a head or two shorter than most of the adults. He was still average for his age, without the brace and crutch, which added a bit to his height.

Cass found it slightly difficult to slow down enough so that Lorcan could follow. She had always felt a bit of sympathy for him and Cawlin. Not being able to walk without that contraption had to suck. She said a silent prayer, hoping that the boy would be able to find some way to make his father proud...whether this particular way worked or not.

Groose was on the ground exactly where Cass had left him, sprawled out under the catapult. Cass kicked his foot. “Hey Numb Nuts!”

He sat up so quickly that he conked his head on the stuck lever. “Wrong end to be calling numb, gods damnit!” Groose grimaced and rubbed the site of the conk. “Did you bring the oil...oh. Hi Lorcan...what are you doing here?”

“He’s here to give you a hand.” Cass replied in between chuckles. “Did you know Scrapper was broken? Well he fixed him.”

“Really...you didn’t answer my question about the oil though.”

“Yes, I have a small can of it right here.” Cass gave Groose the oil can. He gave the stuck lever a few squirts, then attempted yet again to move it.

Lorcan had an idea. A crazy idea, but it just might work... “Stop for a second. Let me through.”

The crutch was thrust under the lever. Lorcan was leaning against the catapult, with both hands gripping his crutch. “Now you pull on it from that side and I’ll work from this side.”

The result was an awful screeching noise, followed by a pop. “Might have worked!” Groose waited until Lorcan’s crutch was out of the way before moving the lever back and forth. The sling arm moved up and down. The repair was a success.

“What in the world...” Cawlin walked up with Peatrice just in time to see Cass give Lorcan a silver rupee.

“Your boy’s got some mechanical talent!” Groose smiled. “Look at this!” He pointed at the lever, then the sling arm. “Neither of those were moving. They were completely jammed. I have a feeling...I’ve found an apprentice.” He looked at Lorcan, still smiling. “How about it? Want to?”
Lorcan’s face lit up. “That would be fun! Can I?” He turned to his parents with pleading eyes. “Please? On my time off?”

Cawlin and Peatrice looked at each other. “I don’t mind.” Peatrice said after a moment.

“You don’t seem to be sick anymore. What’d they do, give you a shot?”

“About that...” Cawlin chuckled softly at Cass’ observation. “Go ahead. Tell them.”

“The doctor said...” Peatrice’s voice was calm. “It’s not stomach flu after all. It’s...pregnancy related morning sickness.”

Groose got up and patted Cawlin on the back. He was about to give his friend a noogie, but the glares from both Cawlin and Cass made him unclench his fist and move it away from the top of Cawlin’s head. “...Congratulations. Both of you.”

“Thanks.” Cawlin smiled awkwardly. “Now...Lorcan, you may be an apprentice...catapult operator, but you might have to cover more of your mother’s shifts. Especially after your little brother or sister is born, for awhile anyway...wait, is the shop unattended now?”

Cass shook her head. “No. Talor’s watching it. He has the key and everything.”

“Yay!” Lorcan ran over to his parents as fast as his twisted foot would allow. “Thanks Mom and Dad! I’ll work harder than before! Starting now!”

Cass waved at the family as they left for the bazaar. “Wow. I’ve never seen that kid so happy before.”

“And I didn’t know he could move that fast!” Groose chuckled. “Honestly, this whole thing is crazy in a good way. I knew they were trying for another kid, but...holy crap.”

Cass nodded, smiling. That was news to her, she had no idea Cawlin and Peatrice wanted a second child. But it made sense that Cawlin would tell Groose before anyone else, the two of them had been close since they were teenagers.

“I’m glad that news came now, instead of a few days ago when Lorcan was bummed about the bond ceremony. If he wasn’t feeling proud of himself I don’t think he’d take it well.” She started toward the bazaar, then turned around. “I’m gonna follow them. And eat breakfast. Wanna come along?”

“Sure...”

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom