• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Stamina Gauge

Triforce King

Pathfinder for life
*Sigh* No wonder they say Zelda games are for casuals¯\_(ツ)_/¯. In my opinion there's nothing wrong with the stamina gauge, and I'm looking forward to using it again in Breath of the Wild.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I saw an image earlier of two stamina meters so I don't know if you can permanently upgrade to have two or if this just appears after consuming the proper shrooms.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
i legit smiled when i first saw it b/c of all the salt that would stem from it,now here i am smiling again
i didn't mind it too much in skyward sword,but for this game,i definitely think it'll be more of a hindrance if it's done in the same way

Maikeru

Piper of Time
I like the stamina meter. The only issue I may have is that I feel like simple jogging and running eats up too much of the meter way too fast.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I didn't mind it in Skyward Sword, and it looks like they improved upon it in Breath of the Wild. The ways in which its used make sense. Of course your arms would get tired after hanging off a glider/climbing a bigass wall for a while and would need to take a break. And the cooking ability lets you make things to improve your stamina for a while, and it even comes with that nice timer to let you know much much time you have left. And there's so much variety with that, too. I like how it's handled a lot in this game.

Yes, the prophecised Stamina Gauge has returned. And apparently it is in use even when performing simple actions such as hanging on to a paraglider. This was one of the most polarizing features of Skyward Sword's gameplay, though many thought it was well used in A Link Between Worlds. Opinions on its reappearance in Breath of the Wild?
Bad idea. The stamina meter was one of the major flaws in SS, in my opinion. bringing it back into BotW is just an artificial way to limit world exploration early on till you can upgrade the stamina meter.

See a mountain in the distance? You can't climb it now. Not because you physically can't do so. Aonuma does not want you to now so you don't have the stamina to do so till later in the game. The stamina is the only limitationto many things. The aritifical limitation to exploration within the game. Xenoblade Chronicles X did this way better. From Chapter 4 onwards you could explore 80% of the game. The other 20% requires a flying Skell. There is no BS stamina meter preventing exploration. I would have thought Aounuma and co would have learned from XCX in this regard. They did not and it disappoints me.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
The Stamina bar was a problem in SS because it was overly restrictive. It got depleted way too quickly, and barely allowed you to do anything. Here it seems to have been toned down much more. You can actually scale a pretty high wall/cliffs before the stamina runs out, and it seems to be filling up much quicker. So I think this time around it will work much better.

All in all it seems more reasonable this time around. In SS it just put restrictions on things you were already doing in previous games. But now you can actually scale anything that isn't completely smooth, so not just vines and ladders, so some kind of restriction is more necessary.

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
I don't mind seeing it return. As a few people have already mentioned, it looks like they have improved the mechanic from SS, so that pleases me. What I personally like about the stamina gauge is that it forces you to strategize a bit. Before deciding to randomly scale a giant cliff, it'll probably help to look ahead and see if there are any areas on the mountain that you can just stand and take a breath, because you already know ahead of time that you won't be able to make the whole distance in one shot (unless you've upgraded the gauge beforehand).

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Bad idea. The stamina meter was one of the major flaws in SS, in my opinion. bringing it back into BotW is just an artificial way to limit world exploration early on till you can upgrade the stamina meter.

See a mountain in the distance? You can't climb it now. Not because you physically can't do so. Aonuma does not want you to now so you don't have the stamina to do so till later in the game. The stamina is the only limitationto many things. The aritifical limitation to exploration within the game. Xenoblade Chronicles X did this way better. From Chapter 4 onwards you could explore 80% of the game. The other 20% requires a flying Skell. There is no BS stamina meter preventing exploration. I would have thought Aounuma and co would have learned from XCX in this regard. They did not and it disappoints me.
No. Like I said earlier, so long as you go on an expedition prepared, then you will and can explore it. So long as you are smart, and load up on Stam Shroom dishes, something you can access from the beginning of the game, you can go there. So no. You can access those mountains from the beginning of the game.

Well... Actually you can't.
The only barrier the game possesses is that you need the glider to get off of the Hylian Plateu. But that is much like Xenoblade Chronicle X's beginning of the game. However, Zelda Wii U"s barriers are completely natural and make sense. Instead of having visible walls throughout the game.

In Xenoblade X, you are also artificially limited by leveled monsters as well.
Zelda U does not have this problem because you can indeed beat enemies with Skill, instead of with sheer levels.

So from what we have seen thus far, Zelda Wii U is actually more open than Xenoblade Chronicles X.

No. Like I said earlier, so long as you go on an expedition prepared, then you will and can explore it. So long as you are smart, and load up on Stam Shroom dishes, something you can access from the beginning of the game, you can go there. So no. You can access those mountains from the beginning of the game.
That seems very resonable if you can stack up on the stamina shrooms and can use them at anytime.

The only barrier the game possesses is that you need the glider to get off of the Hylian Plateu. But that is much like Xenoblade Chronicle X's beginning of the game. However, Zelda Wii U"s barriers are completely natural and make sense. Instead of having visible walls throughout the game.
That's just like XCX (as you said) till chapter 4 and WW till you've done the first 2 dungeons.

In Xenoblade X, you are also artificially limited by leveled monsters as well.
Zelda U does not have this problem because you can indeed beat enemies with Skill, instead of with sheer levels.
The issue only very rarely comes up in XCX (rarely as in I've only noticed it once in the entire game). You can get to 80% of the areas in XCX approximately as a very low levelled character. This is basically anything you do not need a flying skell for. I know because I did it. I had run around all 5 continents a lot before level 30 in XCX. Sure you need to work out a few innovative ways to avoid a few of the more higher elvelled tings that can kill you. But that is where the fun comes into it, how to get past . Only the inner castle in Cauldros needed a specific level to reach on foot. Around level 40-45 so the auto canons do not one shot you dead.
I've even finished the collectapedia for 3 continents in chapter 4. And almost (80% plus) finished the remaining 2 continents collectapedia. The last few collectables I need a flying skell for.

There is one cave in Cauldros however that has a barrier up and you can't progress into it till later into the game.

So from what we have seen thus far, Zelda Wii U is actually more open than Xenoblade Chronicles X.
From what you are saying it's about the same for both games. Both games have their openness and the ways they limit full discovery of the world. The gameplay videos seem to suggest that you can travel almost anywhere on foot, just like XCX. How much of the world you can initially travel on foot to, and when certain areas open up is still to be seen. I will be keenly awaiting the reveal of this information.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
"It is true that it is a difficult balance to find, especially in a world we explore over long horizontal distances but also vertically. We really want to show in a concrete way that the character can travel as he pleases and is improving over time in this game. With a character where sprinting is unlimited, we probably would have shrunk the map. Today, we have faster ways to travel like horses, teleportation points or the paraglider which can be used in a complementary way to make exploration more varied. Link’s capacity to sprint and climb serves as a measure to determine everything else." — Shigeru Miyamoto

"It is true that it is a difficult balance to find, especially in a world we explore over long horizontal distances but also vertically. We really want to show in a concrete way that the character can travel as he pleases and is improving over time in this game. With a character where sprinting is unlimited, we probably would have shrunk the map. Today, we have faster ways to travel like horses, teleportation points or the paraglider which can be used in a complementary way to make exploration more varied. Link’s capacity to sprint and climb serves as a measure to determine everything else." — Shigeru Miyamoto
TLDR: I want you to stop and smell the roses, or at the very least jog slowly past them. Till later in the game.

Reactions: Dio

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom