• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spirit Tracks over Phantom Hourglass?

dudenugget2000

ᕦ( ͡°╭͜ʖ╮͡° )ᕤ
So I've been going over people's favorite games list and many/most of them say that ST is better than PH and what I want to know is why? PH was my first game and I loved it but later when I played ST I could barely get through the game. So what I'm asking is, for people that think ST is better than PH could you give me some reasons why? I'm just very curious :D.

I played spirit tracks first, and I did not like it that much. I found the amount of time on the train to be torture. I hope I like PH more.

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
I liked both, but I thought Spirit Tracks had some better mechanics and controls, some interesting puzzles (Phantom especially), and I don't really know. Just really enjoyed it more in comparison.

SpiteChaotic

The lazy Chaos Bringer
I liked the story and some of the neat things done in Spiri tracks. Not a perfect game especailly coming from a time line of odd traveling games. Two boating and then a train. I admit the traveling system in Phantom hourglass was better then the train. Both have that ungodly pan flute that i hate with a burning passion.

I can say I just liked the puzzles in spirit track better. It was fun to fight around and to move zelda around. Though Phantom hourglass does have that fun captain guy. Sad he is the only one i really remember from the games. I need to get my hands on a copy of phantom hourglss for my collection.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I haven't played PH yet, but I enjoyed ST more than I thought I would. Not sure what I'll think about PH, I'll have to get back to you when I play it.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Spirit Tracks took what Phantom Hourglass did and improved upon it greatly. For example, the controls are much smoother and more refined in ST than they are in PH. I also like ST's story a lot more. And the Tower of Spirits' teamwork puzzles and having Zelda as the partner character really makes it a lot more fun. I really like PH a lot, but I just love ST to death. It's my favorite Zelda game.

I have never played PH but I have played ST. Though I do think that getting to "play" as Zelda, at least in a teamwork sort of sense is super cool. Certainly it isn't the best game, but I really liked the story-line and the puzzle solving aspect. I can't say that PH didn't have that, but it just seems that ST was more original in that sense.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Spirit Tracks was a major improvement over Phantom Hourglass in almost every way.

One of my biggest complaints about PH is that it's too easy. I didn't get stuck once getting through it, and I didn't die at all. The puzzles weren't hard to figure out, the enemies and bosses were easy to kill, and the overall difficulty was just far lower than it should've been, even for a TWW sequel. ST, however, while still easy, took the things that made PH easy and improved them. The puzzles are far more innovative and challenging, the combat is less frustrating yet more difficult, and most of the bosses actually posed a fair challenge. I actually got stuck a few times and died twice. The game is almost undeniably harder, which is good. It's still fairly easy though.

Another thing I really dislike about PH is the freaking Temple of the Ocean King. Cool concept, poorly executed. I'm a big fan of being able to revisit dungeons, but this isn't quite what I had in mind. The dungeon is fun the first 2 or so times you go through it, every other time is just a boring ride through the same thing over and over and over and over again. The hourglass itself also makes the puzzles more frustrating than difficult, because you have to be extra careful not to get hit by a Phantom and lose precious time. I've never died inside it, but I've come close, and it was out of frustration more than difficulty. The Tower of Spirits in ST, however, is quite a bit different. It's the same kind of concept, but it was handled much better. Not having to tediously traverse through the same rooms every single time was a welcome change, as was the removal of the time limit, making the trips through the Tower of Spirits much nicer. I was able to go through them and figure out the puzzles at my own pace, and I didn't have to redo floors I had already completed. Being able to control Phantoms was also really awesome, and it opened up some really clever puzzles that I thought displayed far more innovation than any of the puzzles in the Temple of the Ocean King.

Having Zelda actually mean something in the story and be a complete character was pretty nice as well. In most of the other games, and PH especially, she's just kinda there for a few scenes, gets herself kidnapped, then gets rescued by Link at the end (in PH it was technically Tetra, but she's Zelda anyway). In ST, Zelda plays a pivotal role in the game, as she acts as Link's primary companion throughout it. It's the first time Zelda actually received a large role, and it's fantastic. She was a really helpful companion, somewhat of a rarity in the series (not helpful as in hints, but helpful as in actually helping Link solve puzzles and defeat enemies). It was nice to finally see her be her own character and get some development.

I should also give props to the music. The Spirit Flute (A panflute given to Link by Zelda near the beginning of the game) is symbolic of the sound Link's train makes, as the sounds it makes resemble a train whistle. As such, all of the Locomo songs sound like songs that a train car character might play. Building off of this, the game's entire soundtrack is structured around the flute, which is, as I said before, symbolic of the overall theme of the game. As the game revolves around the train, the music sounds like it does too. Of course, I'm not saying Phantom Hourglass didn't have good music, because it definitely did, but I like Spirit Tracks' soundtrack a lot more as, not only is it more catchy, but it fits the game better than that of Phantom Hourglass.

One thing I will say, though, is that the primary mode of transportation sucks in both games. They were cool on paper, admittedly bad in the actual game.

So, all in all, I can definitely say with absolute 100% certainty that I prefer Spirit Tracks over Phantom Hourglass. Not saying PH is a bad game of course, it is just overall inferior to its sequel.

Reactions: Doc

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Spirit tracks was great, but the train alone made me prefer Phantom Hourglass. Also Linebeck

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Phantom Hourglass over Spirit Tracks anyday, i liked the methods of both for getting around the world but ST had a large obviously empty world and PH didn't after all you'd expect to have large empty streches of sea between isles. My main reason is ST's Spirit Flutes these things detroyed any love for ST i had for the damned instrument wasn't implemented well.

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
I admit that Spirit Tracks refines on Phantom Hourglass in its dungeon, puzzles, soundtrack and story, so it's hard to describe exactly why I feel like it was a step backwards for the series, but I'll try. I already beat Phantom Hourglass and I had enough of it. Yes, the Tower of Spirits is better than Temple of the Ocean Kings, but I honestly just don't want to go through a 30-floor temple again. And yes, the gameplay elements have been refined over the original, but I just wasn't that satisfied with the combat and such to begin with.

Phantom Hourglass was good, once. But Spirit Tracks is basically just a rehash. One with a bad overworld and an even worse transportation mechanic.

I mentioned above I played Spirit Tracks first, but now that I'm diving into PHG I can safely say I like it better than Spirit Tracks already. I like how it feels like a direct sequel to WW, but I will say the rolling system in Spirit Tracks is better at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom