• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Game Thread Spaceballs 2: The Quest for More Money

Ragnarokio

If you don't identify as the default options of Male/Female, you may enter your gender here.
gg everyone

no host means no result, and we're left to wonder what this game really was for the rest of eternity

I mean I'm just gonna declare myself the winner cuz I can. Everybody else should follow suit.

Libk

Spaceballs: The Mafia Player
Megamaid, having been in self destruct for days, finally explodes with all players still on spaceball 1 on it. Who knows what their fate will be, but legend has it that you can hear the remaining passengers scream as they fly through space. Strange, there were still plenty of escape pods left on the ship for people to take before this happened. Oh well. Mongoose was not able to get off of the ship in time.

Libk, @Mellow Ezlo, and @MightyMario are the Winners!

Libk and Mellow Ezlo win as they were able to ensure that Dark Helmet, President Scroob, and Colonel Sandurz were still on the ship when it was destroyed.

Mighty Mario wins as they were no longer on the ship when it exploded.

Everyone had a secret win condition(except Mezlo), don't be on the ship when it explodes. A game where the puzzle that needed solving was that you wanted to be lynched.

Mezlo had the ability to vote off the ship, and help create new rules for those on the ship to follow. Not all of the rules were the idea of Mezlo but we worked on them together in an attempt to make rules that would keep @Ragnarokio , @Mongoose , and @15377 alive.

Roles in this game weren't exactly random, but assigned based on the order players signed up for the game. 1st seat is the most important as I need my right hand man, Barf. The next 3 were the next important to ensure the main spaceballs were on the ship. If the game got large enough, more of lonestar's crew was in the mix and more obscure spaceballs. I did mess up with Mezlo's placement when they signed up, as I simply replaced Fext in the lost with Mezlo, but I think that turned out fine.

Rag was Dark Helmet, with a lie detector ability, a single night kill, and the ability to make a player's vote count as 2 for a day. All abilities were once per game

Mongoose was Colonel Sandurz, able to send the ship into ludicrous speed, cutting the day and night in half for 1 phase each. This ability would not work if used after the ship became mega Maid.

15377 was President Scroob, his head was on backwards at the beginning of the game, making him type backwards.

@Morbid Minish was Snotty, able to protect a player from abilities at night at the cost of turning their head around. This could fix President Scroob or anyone previously targeted.

@Hapi Was the Drummer, able to switch the ship into mega Maid. This could have had more effects with more players.

@Captan_Lunch and @Seanzie were Major Asshole and Philip Asshole, and had a caht with each other outside the game.

@MightyMario was the captain of the guard, a flavor cop able to reveal players with stunt double, which were any of lonestar's crew.

Libk

The game could have ended through explosion, as it did, or when 3 players were left on the ship. If any of Rag, numbers, or Mongoose were lynched Mezlo and I would have lost. Thus we tried rules focused more on making discussion tough and making voting tough. Morbid Minish was closest to realizing the solve, iirc, as I think they mentioned they didn't want to be on the ship when it blew. I was curious if they'd try to leave the ship

Princess Abigail

Resident Juice Sipping Icon
Congrats Minish you basically predicted the entire ****ing thing and I came around to the idea waaaay too late

Sorry, but Libk I suggest you rethink game mechanics. This was not a good setup. A game with a bit of enigma can be a lot of fun, but having a completely hidden wincon we could only win at by being bad at the underlying game or just random guessing and throwing all caution to the wind is bad. The lack of stated rules along with the hidden mechanics you've mentioned made it feel like the players playing didn't actually do anything, and the rules you imposed didn't do as much to make communication hard as it was annoying (further decreasing player enjoyment). You gave me and CL roles that under any reasonable definition of good mafia play were pretty much unwinnable again without just randomly guessing that we should do the exact opposite of the stated goal. The fact that a 9 player game went on almost a month with 72/24 time controls is also not great.

I don't mean this to be mean, instead I hope you take these points to heart and think about them before you host a game again, because this one was not enjoyable IMO.

Libk

Sorry, but Libk I suggest you rethink game mechanics. This was not a good setup. A game with a bit of enigma can be a lot of fun, but having a completely hidden wincon we could only win at by being bad at the underlying game or just random guessing and throwing all caution to the wind is bad. The lack of stated rules along with the hidden mechanics you've mentioned made it feel like the players playing didn't actually do anything, and the rules you imposed didn't do as much to make communication hard as it was annoying (further decreasing player enjoyment). You gave me and CL roles that under any reasonable definition of good mafia play were pretty much unwinnable again without just randomly guessing that we should do the exact opposite of the stated goal. The fact that a 9 player game went on almost a month with 72/24 time controls is also not great.

I don't mean this to be mean, instead I hope you take these points to heart and think about them before you host a game again, because this one was not enjoyable IMO.

This was the point. It's a bastard game, not a standard game. There were certain things I wanted to test in this game, notably the idea of a player being able to add rules, for a standard game and figured a bastard game was a good place to test. While I was alive I gave plenty of hint about not wanting to be on the ship with not only my death but Mezlo's death as well. I even told Mighty Mario to post that they were no longer ger on the ship, which they didn't give much info but the clues were there. You and CL not using your chat isn't my problem, and they weren't unwinnable roles. I'm sorry you had a poor experience and sorry to all who did of others did, but I warned that the game was unfair in the sign up. I use spaceballs games the way WotC uses Un-sets in magic. The first game was a hit, like Unglued. This one was a step too far, like Unhinged.

Ad far as me as a player goes, I didn't have a vote, if party mattered I would not have counted towards it, I didn't count towards the player total, and I mostly stayed out of rule making, with the exception that I was making sure proposed rules weren't extreme or outright "X player can't be lynched" etc. We, as a faction, also didn't have a Factional kill, do to player count on top of the idea that our goal was to keep specific players on the ship.

Yeah I don't think this was my greatest game, or even close to my greatest. Yeah there is plenty I'm taking away from this, and most of it will have little impact on normal games I run because my normal set ups have been pretty good. Most of it goes towards a future bastard game if I run another bastard game.

returnofMCH

here from bulba, don't expect much

as someone who started similar to this in my hosting career, I can see where they're coming from in trying to make a mechanic heavy game as a first start. But therein lies the issue, mechanic heavy is not good as a first start for mafia hosts, a more basic setup tends to work better for learning how to host the game, even if you've been a player for years. Also day phases being 72 hours just hurts the game in the long run as stated. Hell even when I became a bit more experienced with hosting I still did stupid crap for a year or 2 (there was one mafia game where scum was gonna win until I forbade them from killing a beloved to auto win, but uh that's not what a host should ever do). And just like you I don't mean this message to be mean but as constructive criticism for the host.

Libk

as someone who started similar to this in my hosting career, I can see where they're coming from in trying to make a mechanic heavy game as a first start. But therein lies the issue, mechanic heavy is not good as a first start for mafia hosts, a more basic setup tends to work better for learning how to host the game, even if you've been a player for years. Also day phases being 72 hours just hurts the game in the long run as stated. Hell even when I became a bit more experienced with hosting I still did stupid crap for a year or 2 (there was one mafia game where scum was gonna win until I forbade them from killing a beloved to auto win, but uh that's not what a host should ever do). And just like you I don't mean this message to be mean but as constructive criticism for the host.
Not a new host, however maybe could have looked to where games have been around here recently. In prior days, the time limits for day and night phase have been pretty standard. I just haven't hosted in a while

returnofMCH

here from bulba, don't expect much
Not a new host, however maybe could have looked to where games have been around here recently. In prior days, the time limits for day and night phase have been pretty standard. I just haven't hosted in a while
ah my bad then

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom