• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

So What's the Rational for the Whole Impa Thing?

So I should assume that every character is a reincarnation? Wow. that's some amazing story telling..........

Well they threw in a now goddess which is a really bold move considering that there has always been the three. THEN the dont even give any explanation as to what she really is I like that zelda leaves doors open. But they are opening too many doors and not closing any.

Well doesn't really say much considering Skyward Sword is an origin story. One should expect some form of retcon when it comes to these things. Introducing "the new goddess" sure "closed a door" for me, as it gave a bit of explanation to Zelda's mythical abilities, role, and why is she SO important in the first place. Would I have liked to see more? Sure; but for now this will have to suffice...

So I should assume that every character is a reincarnation? Wow. that's some amazing story telling..........

You need not assume anything. The answer is given to you in plain English. Link and Zelda are [most times] reincarnated to defend the Triforce. It is their divine duty. However, it doubles as a curse. (See Skyward Sword ending.) Impa is reincarnated to protect Zelda (the goddess Hylia) as a divine duty, because the goddess wills it. Reusing characters names for different characters is not unique to the Zelda series, and many other video games have a similar convention. For example, almost every game in the Final Fantasy series features a Moogle, a guy named Cid, and two characters called Biggs and Wedge; among others. There is no need to assume every character [in the Zelda series] is a reincarnation - just Link and Zelda...

Last edited by a moderator:
just because she is a goddess doesn't make her a creator like the 3 previous goddesses. In our world today there are literally millions of gods and goddesses in the Hindu religion alone, countless others if you consider all the religions, and then there is one God who created all things (this could lead to a belief debate and we dont want that, so we will end it there).

I personally liked the twist. I think her being a goddess just meant that she was a chosen one with powers and people/races worshiped her or labeled her a goddess because of her powers and how she helped them.

just because she is a goddess doesn't make her a creator like the 3 previous goddesses. In our world today there are literally millions of gods and goddesses in the Hindu religion alone, countless others if you consider all the religions, and then there is one God who created all things (this could lead to a belief debate and we dont want that, so we will end it there).

I personally liked the twist. I think her being a goddess just meant that she was a chosen one with powers and people/races worshiped her or labeled her a goddess because of her powers and how she helped them.

Yeah, you don't actually mean Millions.

I think it is more of descendants of a race fulfilling their allegiance. It is the role of the Sheikah to protect the royal family. I think it is more fate that they end up having the same name, or more likely purposely set up by developers to clarify that the protector is Sheikah. If you do not know much of the backstory here is a link...

http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Sheikah

I believe that it is not only amazing story telling, but a work of art. That's just me though

Yeah, you don't actually mean Millions.

330 million gods actually. Feel free to google it. I can provide a link but not sure if ZD likes links to websites concerning stuff other than Zelda so I will not post it. You can't miss it if you google "how many gods are there in the Hindu religion". The bottom hit is a .org site, which makes it reliable in case you doubt all the ones above it.

Last edited:

Yes. A person of extreme eminence and power can sometimes be seen as a god in many cultures. This is instance is likely no different. Obviously, Hylia was that kind of person, and she was obviously very spiritual, as such she was very close to the creators - the three Golden Goddesses. She was so close to them that they entrusted her with immense spiritual power, which she used - with the help of the inhabitants of the land - to seal Demise. If anything, she can be classified as a lesser or a demi-goddess.

How stupid are you people? Seriously "disappointed in Nintendo", lol wut? Putting Impa in was NOT a bad move at all. The Zelda series in full of reincarnations. If you're complaining about Impa returning, you should also be complaining about Beedle. And also you should have complained when Malon appeared in the Oracle games and the Minish Cap. And Impa was not thrown in at all. She was included to show why the Sheikah are the protectors of the Royal Family.
And Hylia isn't meant to be some "fourth" goddess. There's more deities in Hyrule than the Golden Goddesses, they are presumably just the most powerful ones. After all, there was a goddess of time mentioned in Majora's Mask. And the two wind gods in Wind Waker. And also the Sand Goddess in Ocarina of Time.

Ariel

Think for yourself.
Well, if you'll recall, Impa was a character in not just OoT, but also in either the first or the second Zelda, as Zelda's protector.

She is a recurring character, many references have been made to her, such a with Impaz in Twilight Princess.

The rationale behind her is that this is in effect shedding some light on the Sheikah, which it is revealed are the chosen race of Her Grace Hylia to protect the Triforce and the royal family that protects the Triforce by extension. Such is the nature of their people, apparently. That seems to be their sole purpose, as agents of the Goddess Hylia.

J

jokekid

saying skywad sword doesnt talk about other games may have a few reasons, and isnt completely true...

first, remember that skyward sword is supposed to be the origin of everything, its the first battle between a hero chosen by the goddess versus the demon king...

about reincarnations, its obvious, and has been always obvious, that link and zelda reincarnated once and again, over history, this is explained at the end of the game where the final boss says:

"i curse you, this fight will never end, i will come back over and over again, our fight is meant to be eternal.
those arent the exact words, but its the most important stuff to get to my point.

so here he reveals that HE TOO will reincarnate, probably in ganondorf, vaati, and all other main villains, since Fi says that his appearance differs according to the person looking at him AND TIME, so just like how the goddess turned into
zelda
he can reincarnate in a human too...
and since impa is also send by the goddess, she will reincarnate too when needed...

so bascally my point is that at the end of the game, its explained why link has so many reincarnations...

M

midnitecruiser

I'm okay with Impa appearing again in OoT because of the way she "died" in SS. Disintegrating into light makes me think that some god or goddess was dissolving her mortal body but preserving her soul, so she could protect Zelda in a new age. It's still reincarnation, but it's hinted at a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom