• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild So...what do you think so far?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Post playtime, results, happenings since the game is officially released to the public.

Me? I'm loving the game, it's still a 10/10 even on second playthrough but I'm finding really basic puzzles in shrines to be mind-boggling. I should get some rest.

Playtime: 50 hours
On new game about 7 hours, finding towers before I start quests and deciding whether I should go Medoh first or Ruta.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I just started to play this game and it's already growing on me. I finished my first shrine and now I'm on my way to the other three. I love the freedom. Still too soon to rate it properly but so far it's becoming a fav of mine.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Barely had time to play today, first the game had to download (decided to go digital since I know I will get the Switch sometime in the future, so can get the physical copy then, and only the expensive stores had the game in stock), then install, then the update had to download and be installed. Managed just about an hour of playtime before I had to run to work. I'm enjoying it, have finished two shrines, not done a lot of exploration yet since I kinda want to try stocking up on stuff before doing a lot of fighting. Had a bit of an "oh s***" moment
when I left one shrine, intending to avoid the guardian I had seen activating in the gameplay videos and then a seemingly different one activated on me...
Quickly bolted out of there.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Loving it. I gave in and started playing it on Wii U which honestly, doesn't even look different from the Switch version at all. It's also been performing quite well and loading doesn't take forever either. So **** waiting until Switches become available again.

There's so much to explore and do and I'm still just on the plateau. Some minor gripes though. Combat doesn't feel too evolved and almost feels like a step back from Twilight Princess. However, there are many ways to tackle battles which is a step up, but the actual combat could be better. Controls are also taking me a bit to get used to. The button layout and little things like needing to manually jump off a ledge is throwing me for quite a loop. One thing I seriously hate though, is the lack of Gamepad functionality on the Wii U. It's like they totally scrapped it just so that there'd be no way the Wii U version could be superior to the Switch. Other than that, phenomenal.

-no save files
-gamepad integration completely scrapped and neglected because ALL HAIL THE SWITCH
-cant adjust audio balance
-did i mention you cant adjust audio to mute voice acting
-button mapping done in the most unreasonable way possible compared to older titles' control schemes and you cant remap the buttons
-a bunch of other presets unable to change
-quick equip is broken as hell
-small weapon inventory
-doesnt feel or play like a zelda game
-overall lack of music
-the sheikah monks moan like oot redeads
-"stamps" arent actually beacons and only show on your map
-you cant roll/somersault

more to come after im done with my break

on the bright side the atmosphere and art direction (aside from the characters) looks good.

I got it this morning. It is amazing, so many things to explore, I haven't died that much despite playing it for about 10 hours, I think I died 11ish times.
It's a shame you don't get meat from horses, I killed one and it's corpse just flailed around.
Also, a very good way to get fish is bombs. They float.

-doesnt feel or play like a zelda game
That's the whole idea. It's meant to be totally different.

The only issue I have is not being able to remap the buttons. Jump on X is really dumb. There should have been a way to remap the buttons.
Past that the game looks good and plays well. Just has a small learning curve. Mostly to get used ot the controls. (Note well if you throw a weapon acciently, the enemy will drop their weapon and pick up yours if it's better. Had it happen a few times till I got used ot the controlls)

The other quirk I am slowly getting used to is Z-targeting is hold only. There's no lock on feature for it like previous Zelda games have. Will take a while to get used to that too. Makes switching between targets harder but I'm sure after a while I'll get the hang of it.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I have played a little of the game and have left the plateau now. Even tried to get to the final boss straight away. It really isn't a good idea.

Here are my impressions so far:

First, the Switch controller -clearly designed only to fit the hands of pygmies or children- is not ergonomic at all. It is awkward as hell changing weapons, runes and arrows with the buttons to do so directly below the control stick. My thumb is bent as it is just to get it to rest on the control stick and then I have to contract it even more to hit the miniscule buttons below. Since I have to do that a lot. It makes playing the game irritating a lot of the time. Would have liked button mapping and the ability to swing the right controller like a wiimote to attack.

Combat- Marred by having to change weapons so often and that process being a pain. Actually aside from being able t use more environmental hazards to kill your enemies the combat is a downgrade from TP as none of the hidden skills are utilised, there is no dodge roll and link doesn't jump very far.

Shrines- I only did the ones I had already seen done when watching gameplay videos from E3, so I knew the puzzles and found them easy. These are only the tutorial ones after all but I am looking forward to trying a more challenging one.

Cooking- I love this feature. I feel so hungry when cooking. There are plenty of ingredients to get and I have managed to survive on a vegan diet so far.

Music- Zelda is known for it's catchy themes yet hardly any are to be heard in this game. Apart from the trailer music I haven't heard anything I would actually like to listen to outside of playing the game.

Voice acting- About bloody time! This should have been in the series since TP. It is so good to hear characters speaking properly.

Visuals- Not great. Some bits look good but a lot of muddy textures are present in game and things in the distance are often an unsightly haze.

Libk

Spaceballs: The Mafia Player
Really really really re Ally really enjoying this game. Already logged 10 hours of play time in in my first day with it. Loving it. I've barely scratched the surface too. Guardians are brutal. I had to go near Hyrule Castle to get something.... big mistake. I'm so looking forward to more of this gane though.

MW7

I didn't have much time to play it yesterday. I left work, went to six different stores, gave up on finding a Switch, and bought the game for Wii U (this from a guy still looking for a NES Classic). I did the two shrines in the warmer section of the plateau and saved and quit just outside of the colder region. I'm really liking it so far. I can't wait to see what towns and full dungeons are like. My only complaint is that the Wii U gamepad is completely neglected. OoT 3d, MM 3d, WW HD, and TP HD all have taken advantage of the perfect fit of Zelda and dual screens. Then Nintendo releases a game supposedly developed with the Wii U in mind for the majority of its development and just completely neglects to have anything going on with the second screen. I mean they couldn't even put the map on there? That's ridiculous.

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
A guardian activated on the second shrine I went to. I underestimated the brutality of the game. I thought it may shoot me and I would lose like 1 heart of something. I was wrong. I died instantly... rip. Also, my brother convinced me that it would be a good idea to swim for the raft in the icy river. I died nearly instantly. But at least I looked cool with my Nintendo switch t-shirt!! 10/10 I'll be playing this for a long time.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
That's the whole idea. It's meant to be totally different.

The only issue I have is not being able to remap the buttons. Jump on X is really dumb. There should have been a way to remap the buttons.
Past that the game looks good and plays well. Just has a small learning curve. Mostly to get used ot the controls. (Note well if you throw a weapon acciently, the enemy will drop their weapon and pick up yours if it's better. Had it happen a few times till I got used ot the controlls)

The other quirk I am slowly getting used to is Z-targeting is hold only. There's no lock on feature for it like previous Zelda games have. Will take a while to get used to that too. Makes switching between targets harder but I'm sure after a while I'll get the hang of it.
Agreed with the jump button. Why is it above the run button? Makes it so difficult to run and jump. Please update this Nintendo.

Aside from the button mapping, the game is ****ing fantastic. I see some people here listing just what they dislike about the game and hardly saying a single thing about what they enjoy--typical of Zelda fans.

I am loving it so much! It took me a couple hours to get used to everything but I am in love with the game! I don't like the lack of save files and the game can lag bit.

Last edited:

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
The controls are terrible and Zeldas accent is fake and terrible but other than that it's really good. Both the puzzles and the combat feel challenging, there's lots of variety to the shrines, the world feels appropriately populated and I often run into things on my way from one location to another. Interacting with the world often rewards you with korok seeds or other rewards and I love running around discovering everything the world has to offer. The biggest complaint is just the controls, sometimes they make combat and puzzles that require quick timing or precision harder than they need to be but other than that it's probably going to end up in my top 5 favorites for sure, i can see it even being top 2 if it continues to be this good.
Personally I can see it being top 1 for me. The controls are pissing me off a bit though.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
There is literally never a reason to run and jump....you gain no benefits from doing so.

A guardian about to blast you into oblivion? Git good and parry the laser. Or even better, grab Revali's Bow and knock an Ancient Arrow into its eye.

Trying to jump from cryosis block to cryosis block? Link auto climbs in water.

Paragliding from spot A to spot B? Regularly climb and properly make use of climb-jumping (hint: you're not supposed to use it except to move faster when you know you can make it, and as a last resort when your stamina is in the red).

This complaint about controls sounds arbitrary asf but maybe you guys are plYing on the snatch instead of Wii U?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom