• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Small Keys Specific to Certain Doors

I sounds good but it would have to be inputted so that you could explore a large area with out limiting access. Unless it is like a boss gauntlet

Not to be a stick in the mud, but I don't really see how adding color coded keys in dungeons would add more exploration. :hmm: It would add the "you need the blue key" factor (which is cool) but wouldn't it just make the dungeons' more close-ended? For example: Say you're in a dungeon and you get to a room where there are three locked doors, and you have one key. There are no other options other than to use the key and see what's behind the doors. So you use the key on door A. The door could lead to the hookshot, and other parts of the dungeon are now available to you because you have this new tool. And other keys will eventually be found to open the other doors. But what if you decided to unlock door B first? That door could lead to a mini boss, who, upon defeat, gives you another key. How about door C? That door could lead to another section of the dungeon, where you can explore and find more keys.

Now picture the scenario with color coded keys and doors. You're given the blue key. You can only open the blue door and see what's behind it, which inevitably will lead to the other colored keys. This has its benefits; it could lead to more specific puzzles that have to be done in a specific order.

I'm probably just picturing this way different than you though. :sweat:

Salem

SICK
Not to be a stick in the mud, but I don't really see how adding color coded keys in dungeons would add more exploration. :hmm: It would add the "you need the blue key" factor (which is cool) but wouldn't it just make the dungeons' more close-ended? For example: Say you're in a dungeon and you get to a room where there are three locked doors, and you have one key. There are no other options other than to use the key and see what's behind the doors. So you use the key on door A. The door could lead to the hookshot, and other parts of the dungeon are now available to you because you have this new tool. And other keys will eventually be found to open the other doors. But what if you decided to unlock door B first? That door could lead to a mini boss, who, upon defeat, gives you another key. How about door C? That door could lead to another section of the dungeon, where you can explore and find more keys.

Now picture the scenario with color coded keys and doors. You're given the blue key. You can only open the blue door and see what's behind it, which inevitably will lead to the other colored keys. This has its benefits; it could lead to more specific puzzles that have to be done in a specific order.

I'm probably just picturing this way different than you though. :sweat:
Yeah exactly, It wouldn't necessary make you want to explore, it could limited exploring the dungeon even farther that it is, but I still think this idea has possible good implementations.
As long as this wouldn't end up screwin us in the end to where we can't beat a dungeon. I'm the type that typiclly run through the dungeon and get all the keys first (bar keys behind locked doors. Remember I play 2D zelda more than the 3D ones), then I go at the dungeon and do my thing, I've notice most all OoX dungeons allow me to grab a bunch of keys at once, AoL did this a lot too!
This is exactly how I tend to play the 2d Zelda games. That's the thing with them, the dungeon is open ended, you're not sure which is the right road, so its best to hoard keys until you find the dungeon item or something.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
Yeah i Go everywhere i can before progressing through a locked door, i take my time in dungeons, cuz if there IS something in there like a heart piece of some other collectible in there, i want it now, i REFUSE to return to dungeons after defeating the boss!

As for what Blue Star said, i think shes right, color coding Key would Limit rather than Expand exploration!

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
I've played games that use specific keys for specific doors. It detracts more than it contributes. Pass.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
just reminds me of Doom or something, going crazy cuz i swear i had been everywhere and dont have the right colored key! AHHHHH! However that aside Doom was there for me in a time where no other games seemed exciting to me! NTM Doom 3 was a really nice surprise!

ThatOneNerd

Guardian Deity
I like it. But probably only certain oora that lead to items or other keys. Oh! What if in the very first room, the door was locked, and you had to search the room for the key?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I think it could be a nice idea for a singular dungeon... so long as it were to be used properly. I.e. not force us down a linear path where it wouldn't matter anyway, but rather make the dungeon more like a sandbox with reasonable limitations to allow progression and keep the idea of what would essentially be color-coded keys relevant to the overarching design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom