• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Do You Use Skype For?

Skype is a popular instant messaging program many people on this forum use on a daily basis. If you don't have it downloaded, you're missing out. You can use it for VoIP, chat rooms, IMs, conference calls, video calls, and more. Most of these features are free or cheap. In this I'd like to ask what specific features you utilize in order to get the optimal experience.

Personally, I mainly use text chat but I also employ voice calls from time to time. I prefer chatting in a group environment although I do PM other often. I've only been in a group video chat once with DARK MASTER when he was streaming one of his Rare Selda games, Wand of Gamelon I believe. It's not something most people use much anymore-an example of a feature that was once free but is now paid.

What do you primarily use Skype for? Are you more of the group chat person or do you stay away from those environments? Text, voice, or video? What's your preference? Or do you use a feature not outlined above? Discuss.

Violet Link

takumi was a mistake and so are the S supports
Azure begged me to get Skype. ._.

The main thing I use for Skype is just for IM-ing with people. Sometimes I could just voice chat with them and sometimes I just do IM.
Group chats annoy me because: whenever if you're IM-ing someone personally and then the group chats will be like *insert the you just got a message Skype sound here*. It annoys me so much >.<.

GirlWithAFairy

Man... the ****???
I use Skype for pretty much all the reasons you listed. I text chat with friends, I video call my parents, my kids video call their daddy and I also use to to find out if a Brawl is going on and the Brawlers usually voice chat because its, quite frankly, really ****ing hard to text chat when Brawling. I think their prices for the upgrades are reasonable, but Im a cheap *** so I wont pay for them even if it would make life a little easier. I am rather sad at the quality of the calls as of late tho. In the last few months the quality has been getting so bad I thought about getting rid of Skype all together but as it is a main communication tool for my kids, I keep it. I would rather they see their father and it be skippy and lose sound or freeze than not see him at all. I would very much like to see this problem fixed.

Dan

I use to to enforce drama on ZD, I like making group chats where I can ***** about all the members I dislike, then bring it over to ZD, to further sink the site into a pool of it's own poop.

In reality I own a radio station on skype called chatterbox FM, we will soon employ video chat, at the moment however we currently only hold voice chats. Here we keep the environment relaxed and come up with funny plans and what not.

I also try to keep our of major groups in skype now simply because of it's hostile nature. I find skype more or less the most negative application I've ever used, mainly for the top paragraph I used above. I would say a lot of the drama comes from skype, NOT ALL OF IT for goodness sake. Some does however. I'm also very careful who I have on my contact list now. I tend to remove members that are simply going to cause trouble, (ALIT was one of these members,I know he won't mind me mentioning it since he agrees) Doing so I have been able to remain much calmer on ZD as a whole. As evident by my lack of sb bans or infractions. :)

Anyway Skype has been great so far and I enjoy using it. :)

I love video chatting half-naked to people as well. :D

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I only use Skype so I can talk to individuals, and voice chat or video chat with them. I don't particularly enjoy group chats, since they're usually filled with a bunch of drama or trolls, or both. On top of that, unlike the shoutbox people are typically running rampant, from what I've seen anyway, and it just gets uncomfortable for me. So I mainly stick to individual chats with people on Skype. That's what I use it for.

Dr3W21

shoegaze girl
I don't typically use Skype a lot, honestly. When I do use it, I mainly use it for IM's (not group chats... I'm not particularly fond of those, for all of the reasons others have listed), and the occasional video chat. I guess the reason I don't Skype a lot is probably because I don't have very many contacts on there, and most of them are people I see every day anyway. :P

DARK MASTER coerced me into getting Skype, which was a difficult feat for him to pull off, seeing as I hate social networks with a passion. To that I'll just say that joining Skype might have been one of the stupidest things I've ever done, as I have never experienced so much drama and nonsensical BS in my entire life. Although, in spite of that fact, some great things have sprung from my time on there: I've learned so much about everyone - or at least those with whom I keep contact; good and bad.

I used to use Skype mainly to chat with Big Octo and DARK MASTER as well as partake in the latter's group chat. However, Octo has gone inactive, and I have since began chatting with Dan. I no longer do group discussions.

I've partaken in one voice chat - with DM - in which I said nothing, and I have been present, albeit inactive, in others. In general, voice chatting is not my cup of tea, so I don't plan on doing so anymore in the future.

So in a nutshell I use Skype for occasional text chat with a few people; not much else, fortunately...

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Hmmm I always have been a MSN person way more than Skype. But since earlier this year I use Skype a lot. Most of the time I do IM but lately I've been done VC's a lot. I don't really like groups. I just hate it to talk in groups. I easily get lost and I don't like to get 1000 notifications mainly filled with spammy posts. I agree with azure here. Most groups are filled with drama and more drama and trolling posts. I left many chats a while ago but got added back in less than a day o_O

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
I use skype for conversing with friends and family and for playing League. When I'm playing with my buddies who aren't in the same room as me, we often times use Skype so that we can talk and organize our team better instead of having to stop playing the game to type something.

Personally the only reason why I got Skype was cause of family in Germany and I got tired real quick of writing emails lol. But otherwise I don't use Skype as often. I enjoy VCing because I enjoy seeing my friends faces. BUT I ever do group chats because it's beyond stupid And you can get easily lost.

Claire

The Geekette
I use Skype for a lot of things. I'm usually on talking to friends online while I, uh, take a little break from studying... I'll also call home sometimes to video chat because of being away for college. I use it mainly for IMing. I've used other IMing software, but I never cared for it as much. I like the ability to call my sister and multi-task at the same time. It's a little difficult talking to someone on the phone and trying to read an article or take notes. Not to mention it is a free call, which really means a lot when you're paying so much towards tuition and housing. Anywhere I can cut corners makes me happy.

I use Skype to video call my girlfriend in Tokyo. That's really all I use it for.

I do hope you treat her correctly. Japan is one of the worst modern cultured country's to treat it's women badly. My work on correcting the minds of many Japanese has been difficult, a few have seen the righteous way of humanity.
I use skype to talk to my cousin, he is the only one in my family that has any sense of humanity. I also enjoy challenging and debating the fools that try to destroy humanity day in and day out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom