• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyloftian Names~Bird Names

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
I'm sorry if there's already a thread about this, but I noticed that almost all of the Skyloftians names are based off of bird names similar to how some names from Spirit Tracks are related to trains. I just thought it was kind of interesting. Here they are in case you're interested:

Dodoh->Dodo
Dovos->Dove
Eagus->Eagle
Fledge-> fledgling (I know. not a bird "species" but oh well)
Gaepora-> Kaepora Gaebora
Groose->Goose
Gully->Gull
Horwell->Horned Owl (?)
Keet->Parakeet
Orielle->Oriole
Parrow->Parrot
Henya->Hen
Karane->Crane
Owlan->Owl
Pipit->Pipit
Croo->Crow
Piper->Piper
Sparrot->Sparrow
Stritch->Ostrich
Jakamar->Jacamar

Dark Hero

I am McBuscus. Hi :3
That's strange. I hadn't even noticed that. Perhaps It's because they live on Skyloft, where they're RIDING on birds... I can't exactly put down what's in my mind... Gosh! Why do my thoughts have to be so complicated. This is a very good observation...

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
I kind of guessed that, though I didn't know enough about birds to be sure. Fledge, Groose, and Owlan were kind of obvious, but I wasn't entirely sure about the others. Nice observation!

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
It makes sense.

Think about Wind Waker - some of the characters had ocean-related names, of ocean creatures. Sturgeon, Orca... It wasn't as widespread as the theme naming in SS, though, since some of the characters had music-inspired names (Medli), names inspired by past Zelda characters (Fado and Laruto), and random (Joel, Zill, Rose, Abe...)

They really went with the theme-naming for SS, though, having almost everyone in Skyloft have avian-related names.

Yeah, I read about this on Zelda Wiki a few days after the release of Skyward Sword; it's pretty neat. Groose's name is believed to have also been partially named after the grouse, a species of birds belonging to the order Galliformes, which is the same group that chickens belong to. Also, it is said that grouse is spelled as "groose" in Scotland.

If you asked me, I'd definitely say that Groose looks a lot like a chicken... lol

...cluck cluck.

Yeah, I read about this on Zelda Wiki a few days after the release of Skyward Sword; it's pretty neat. Groose's name is believed to have also been partially named after the grouse, a species of birds belonging to the order Galliformes, which is the same group that chickens belong to. Also, it is said that grouse is spelled as "groose" in Scotland.

If you asked me, I'd definitely say that Groose looks a lot like a chicken... lol

...cluck cluck.

Also, Gondo is the name of the African Hawk-Eagle. "Gondo" is the Shona word for eagle.

Wow, grat observation! i only noticed a few before, however i noticed that the names of the people were similar to words i'd heard before, just never put all the pieces together.

i think like in TP you should have been able name your loftwing any thing you want like the horse in TP because your bird is just "loftwing" i mean come on that's something they should have from TP

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom