• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Side Characters

guy123

The Waker of the Winds
In almost every zelda game since ocarina of time, you've had a guide that follows you and helps you out. Navi, the King of red lions, and Zelda's spirit are some examples. What's your opinion on these side characters? Should they or should they not be included? Should the guide be an option in the main menu? Should link have some background knowledge and be his own guide? Personally, I liked the idea of twilight princes how you could talk to Midna if you needed it in any situation. What's your opinion on this?

i myself would love to see a combination between navi and midna. id like the character to give me info on monsters and help me on my quest.the problem with tp and ww is they never gave you info on the monsters and that was a real downer to me.it would be great if he/she had a back story like midna but maybe not as long as midna's but still give us interst.
for example:i loved listning to midnas back story but some times it was like do you really need to go on and on?even though she did revolve around the entire story in tp.

fisharox

Black Ops is my life
i myself would love to see a combination between navi and midna. id like the character to give me info on monsters and help me on my quest.the problem with tp and ww is they never gave you info on the monsters and that was a real downer to me.it would be great if he/she had a back story like midna but maybe not as long as midna's but still give us interst.
for example:i loved listning to midnas back story but some times it was like do you really need to go on and on?even though she did revolve around the entire story in tp.
i hated navi, she always poped up in the middle of battle. but you do have a point, info on monsters in tp would have made it an easier experience for the rookies,so long as they dont pop up in the middle of battle.:)

Mikau94

Zora Warrior
I don't mind side characters at all. Twilight Princess wouldn't have worked without Midna. Navi and Tatl get a bad rep way too often. Also Ezlo was a really cool character.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
To me, Navi was the best side kick. Because she was just that, a side kick. She gave you info without sassing you like other helpers I could mention. Another good one was Zelda's spirit. She helped you out often enough with an interesting Personality, but she didn't take it too far by being the boss of you. I was not mad that the story revolved around Midna since it was about her, but I would have liked more info from her about opponents.

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
Side characters are fine! For one, they've been major characters and add depth (especially Navi, Tatl, KoRL and Midna). Their hints are nice too, especially the ones related to monsters (Navi/Tatl). However, I want hints when I feel like I need them, not when the sidekick feels like it.

Alex Arbiter

That Random Guy
Side characters whould only be included in they are incorperated into the plot like Midna, Zelda, The king of red lions, and so on so forth. It makes it so they dont feel like they are there to be there.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I don't really mind side characters. I will love it when they make a side character playable like they did in WW. Or even better; like they did with Zelda in ST! I don't bother myself too much about Navi anymore. In the beginning she interrupts you but after a while she says Hey and you can simply ignore her. Midna was pretty cool and in my opinion one of the best Side characters. But the most fun one was Spirit Zelda. She has a temper and is impatient which makes her more human and not like the "perfect" character.

Djinn

and Tonic
I like side characters. They give a little bit more of a human interaction feel to the game. Instead of just running along with silent all the time Link. You at least get to have some personality in the characters that help him out on his quest. Plus it is incredibly helpful to have someone to go to and get hints from when you have no idea where to go next. Or if you are lost somewhere normally Midna or KoRL will say something to get Link back in the right direction.

Personally I liked Midna, she was a very important part of the story and was helpful in many more situations other than just giving hints on how to kill an enemy. She was as much a part of the game as Link and never seemed like another character shoehorned in for player benefit. She also seemed like the only side character that had a full range of emotions and displayed much more characterization than any fairy, or KoRL.

Rishian

The Meat Shield
How would you guys feel about having the side kick active being an option? Like you could hit 'Start' go to side kick, and select 'DISABLE'

Would that work? Or would that be more trouble then it's worth?

Djinn

and Tonic
How would you guys feel about having the side kick active being an option? Like you could hit 'Start' go to side kick, and select 'DISABLE'

Something along the same lines as the other characters in Secret of Mana? They were extremely helpful but they did have a habit of getting themselves killed fairly often until you set them on defense and low attack. I am not sure what you mean by disable, you mean turning the sidekick off and only playing Link for a while?

A sidekick sounds like a good idea for combat purposes but for things like puzzle solving and escaping traps that can lead to trouble. Even in WW having the others follow you around could be a pain. They walked into the wrong areas all too often.

February Eve

ZD District Attorney

Actually, I've thought something similar - the ability to turn off hints. The character could stick around for all story-related reasons, but players who wanted more difficulty could do it all on their own.

One reason I like side characters is that you can get hints about Link's personality without changing his traditional silence. For example, in Minish Cap, Ezlo was hilarious the first time you rode one of the mine carts (minor dialogue spoiler ahead). At first it appeared that he had to encourage Link to get in, saying, "Hm? What? After all this, you don't expect me to believe you're scared!" So they both get in the cart and hurtle along the tracks, screaming like on a roller coaster. After you get out, Ezlo says, "Sweet jumping jellyfish, that was awful! Hey, kid, what are you smiling about?" So in that little scene you learn just as much about Link as you do about Ezlo.

D

Dou6le Rain6owz

I've never liked the side characters. Navi is really annoying, and Midna is a little too bossy for me

guy123

The Waker of the Winds
The only problem with the option of switching them off is their role in that plot. Twighlight princess wouldn't even be the same game if you could switch midna off. I also like how the newer side characters are intertwined with the plot and not just something that magically appears. With Skywars swords coming out soon, I'm wondering what they'll do. What do you think? I'm pretty sure Zordiana or whoever she is will be the guide, but I'm curious on how she'll interact with you throughout the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom