• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should Zelda Stay Medieval?

Should Zelda stay Medieval?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Zelda isn't medival or futuristic, it's just... Zelda.

I dont think anyone said it was futuristic. Also, It is basically Medival since most of the weapons are Medival, The castle being Usurped is typical of Medival times as well and we dont see it happening in the modern world much (In major countries anyway)

Zelda is a fantasy medieval. It has swords and bows, but it also has some lights (WW has spotlights in the Forsaken Fortress)

But yes, I think it should stay medieval. I like castles better than apartment buildings. :)

J

Jim4

Yeah I don't think Zelda will ever lose the castles and swords. It's such a big part of the series. They may change small elements, but remember, Wind Waker had an extremely big change with the ships and islands, but it still had the castles, arrows, and swords.

Z

ZeldaMan17

I think they should stick with fantasy and magic setting alttp is the best example of what a zelda game should be no trains no ''modern technology (trains,guns cars computers) just magic and fantasy.Am I right?

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
It already left it sort of way back in Majora's Mask. With the camera in it. And in The Wind Waker where Beedle's ship seemed to be able to move without a sail -- implying some form of steam power. Along with the camera again. And in Phantom Hourglass Linebeck's ship very clearly is powered by steam with technology no less advanced than what was seen in the train shown in the Spirit Tracks promo. So they have not done anything in Spirit Tracks technologically speaking that is any more advanced than what they have already done.

MajoraKing12

Perfect Harmony
I say that they should keep it medieval. To me it's a really good part of Legend of Zelda. But they should stop making ones like Wind Waker and start making ones like Twilight Princess!:)

UsayEldaZay

Designed with you in mind
No planes or anything like that. I like to think of the loz series as happening a very long time ago. The trains in st are not too bad of a jump because they are new ideas and seem interesting. But there is a very big leap from simple trains to skyscraping towers and Link being in some place resembling New York City. That would be just awful...I agree with Lenora because Zelda isnt Zelda without the fantasy aspect. So far Nintendo has done a really awesome job with keeping the loz roots in the game as well as revolutionizing it more and more. I just hope that it doesn't get too carried away...

Last edited:
I know I made a thread like this, but I see people enjoying the concept of the train in Spirit Tracks and now I am wondering.

Would you really want Zelda to leave it's medieval roots?

I myself have no interests in going past Medieval roots, that train is a sign of Western and I hope we don't go past a train.

I think that the introduction of a train is WAAAYYY out of line.

and pretty soon you'd get a sci-fi Zelda game with lasers and guns.

We won't have the feel of a zelda game we love.

Master Sword will become the master light saber.

Definitely. Zelda wouldn't be Zelda without it's medieval fantasy setting.

What they've been doing recently, with the almost steampunk stuff, is alright I suppose. I don't prefer it in general, but it still works for Zelda.

I don't want it to go any farther than it has, though. If it does, I'm going to start getting upset. :xd:

The train in ST to me shows advancement in technology. The time is still set in Zelda's medieval-like atmosphere, as you also get to see Hyrule Castle and Princess Zelda in the vid which was released. So I think we are very likely to see more advancement of certain aspects of the Zelda universe, but in my opinion it is always going to have its castle, guards, princesses and kings, and a heavy influence on sword fights instead of guns.

The train in ST to me shows advancement in technology. The time is still set in Zelda's medieval-like atmosphere, as you also get to see Hyrule Castle and Princess Zelda in the vid which was released. So I think we are very likely to see more advancement of certain aspects of the Zelda universe, but in my opinion it is always going to have its castle, guards, princesses and kings, and a heavy influence on sword fights instead of guns.
I agree, that's one of the reasons that I have absolutely no problem with Spirit Tracks. There's a train, yeah, but everything else is medieval. ^^

C

Caleb, Of Asui

I can't see anyone saying that Zelda should not stay medieval, even though 5 people voted for that. :S The small advancements in technology, like the train, don't detract from the medieval feel nearly as much as anything like laser guns. >_< I'm sure Nintendo would never swerve away from Zelda being medieval that much. It's just not in the realm of possibility.

I saw a video a while ago showing fake concept art for some "Zelda 2008" (obviously doesn't exist now) that was WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too futuristic to be anything real. Honestly, I would be scared if Nintendo decided to do something like that with Zelda.

To me it's not that Zelda should stay Medieval,it's that Zelda should not get too modern.
I do think that Sprit Tracks walks a very fine line.

Zelda doesn't necessarily have to stay 'in the dark ages', in my opinion, but I would hate for too much technology to be introduced.
I agree with Midna666 in that Spirit Tracks walks a fine line- whilst I do not mind some technology in the games--Majora's Mask had what appeared to be artificial lighting in some parts--I really do not wish to see more advanced self-propelled vehicles and other such technology. Still, I wouldn't mind more minor things like the pictograph and apparent lighting-fixtures, so long as they do not become to frequent. I still feel the camera is sort of pushing it, though. It is when these things are not well integrated and seem to stand out that I dislike them.

I've always liked the sort of 'fantasy', even timeless feel of Zelda, and I feel a bit too much technological advancement would poison that.

Megamannt125

Blue Link
Zelda doesn't necessarily have to stay 'in the dark ages', in my opinion, but I would hate for too much technology to be introduced.
I agree with Midna666 in that Spirit Tracks walks a fine line- whilst I do not mind some technology in the games--Majora's Mask had what appeared to be artificial lighting in some parts--I really do not wish to see more advanced self-propelled vehicles and other such technology. Still, I wouldn't mind more minor things like the pictograph and apparent lighting-fixtures, so long as they do not become to frequent. I still feel the camera is sort of pushing it, though. It is when these things are not well integrated and seem to stand out that I dislike them.

I've always liked the sort of 'fantasy', even timeless feel of Zelda, and I feel a bit too much technological advancement would poison that.

Nintendo likes to make things very strange when it comes to this sort of things, I mean look at Mario it has castles and small villages and subs, space ships, airships, planes. Hyrule isn't in the real world afterall, that's why these sort of things can go in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom