• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should we expect more GameCube titles in directs?

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I've seen talk online of people seeing this as a pattern, and now there's the expectation that the next Nintendo Direct (in however long it'll be) might have another case of a GameCube rerelease being shadowdropped or just shown off.

Do you guys think it's a mistake to expect this and it's just been coincidence? Or do you see potential for this to happen again?

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I feel like various leakers have been right on the money with this despite their timing being absolute sh*t. I don't think it's a coincidence either. I think for Nintendo, their retro market caps off at the N64, so we likely won't ever see Gamecube as part of their NSO subscription.

There's still money to squeeze from Gamecube remasters or even remakes and we've already got a handful of games with Super Mario Sunshine as part of 3D-All-Stars, Metroid Prime, and now Pikmin 1 and 2, with the latter 3 having all released this year alone and rumors long suggesting that Metroid Prime 2 and 3 will likely follow suit, and quite honestly, why wouldn't they with Metroid Prime 4 coming?

There also seems to be some sort of pattern with them shadow dropping the games digitally and then releasing them physically at a later date and now that we've seen them bundle both Pikmins together in a single release, it makes the idea of games such as Metroid Prime 2 and 3 or even Wind Waker and Twilight Princess releasing in the same manner seem more likely.

I definitely expect to see more Gamecube games being remade or remastered in the future.

Metroid Prime 2 and 3 are the obvious picks to drum up hype before Metroid Prime 4 releases (eventually).

I still think we'll see The Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD finally come to Switch next year.

Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door has been rumored for a long time, so I think there is a good chance we'll see that eventually too given how accurate the remake/remaster rumors have been lately.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Baten Kaitos deserves every bit of its remake and will hopefully spark more interest in the series.

Ganondorf

"Dandori Issue"
I hope so, but I also hope more attention is given to polish them first, as releases like Tales of Symphonia on Switch make me a bit wary...? There's been issues with the Mario collection, but thankfully small & not too likely to be bumped into from normal play, & it got some later patches. However, I'm also seeing a LOT of old physics issues with Pikmin 1+2 that were in the original which have only (seemingly) gotten worse with the new releases (Libra part & others bouncing off into the void), which were somehow missed in what I assume is less play-testing for these remasters...
So that leaves Zelda, if & when it happens. Wind Waker wasn't known to be finicky back on gamecube, unlike the quirks of the physics engine in Mario Sunshine, so here's HOPING if that ever gets released, it will be fine (along with Twilight Princess).

Thing is these games are emulation & don't run as well as they did on their home systems (especially Paper Mario in terms of framerate, loading & textures being wrong on some aspects of 64 both on Switch & WiiU) so all I can do is remain hopeful that it happens & that it is done well. I'm praying in particular for the Baten Kaitos release to not have another major issue like Symphonia did with it's battle transitions, major softlocks or t-posing bugs, broken boxes... etc as I also remember the original Baten Kaitos having bad audio issues on the original hardware that I hope will be possibly cleaned up (but that's just from iffy studio recording; it was fixed in Origins). I hope it's cleaned up for the remaster & that there isn't any major battle issues like with Symphonia due to texture transparency being apparently a widespread issue on re-releases, I say due to virtual console quirks with various games so far on Switch or back on the WiiU. Sorry, that's a lot & I'm not even really going into all the little issues with that.

What I REALLY want is for it to be a major clean-up like Metroid got & for LoZ not to just be near straight ports.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Metroid Prime 2 and 3 are the obvious picks to drum up hype before Metroid Prime 4 releases (eventually).

I still think we'll see The Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD finally come to Switch next year.
those are likely candidates absolutely, the gamecube zeldas speak for themselves anyway

but as a part of this "pattern", I wonder if we'll see any surprise drops like we did for pikmin and metroid

I guess if anything, I definitely expect to see this topic come up in all the speculation videos that lead up to the next direct

those are likely candidates absolutely, the gamecube zeldas speak for themselves anyway

but as a part of this "pattern", I wonder if we'll see any surprise drops like we did for pikmin and metroid

I guess if anything, I definitely expect to see this topic come up in all the speculation videos that lead up to the next direct

I absolutely expect shadow drops to be more of a thing going forward. Arlo made a good point in one of his recent videos: Metroid and Pikmin are franchises with new installments coming in the future that don't have as big of a fanbase. This could have been a way to drum up interest. Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon wasn't shadow dropped, and that's a franchise that has reached 10+ million sales with Luigi's Mansion 3. I'd be surprised if Nintendo shadow dropped the HD Zelda games because those are the types of games that already have an audience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom