• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should the Smash Bros Series Put Larger Focus on Story?

Three games in and Smash Bros is getting bigger and better each time.

Subspace, being the story mode of Brawl, was wonderful with its cutscenes and character interaction and did tell a concise and coherent story between voiceless characters all moving towards the same end alongside the usual and (some new) bad guys...

Would you like more of this kind of focus on story in SSB in the future and would you like the games to link in terms of story?

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
No. If there's one thing I enjoyed about Subspace Emissary, it's that it is a standalone story. Starting to add links here and there would ultimately lead to either a) convolution or b) so loosely-tied stories that the ties themselves are irrelevant [effectively saying that story means nothing, which puts us at square one].

DarkLink7

I make my own fate!
I don't really think it matters. Smash bros is about beating the crap out of Nintendo characters. That's the fun of the game, IMO, to most people. No one plays Brawl at a friends house and says "lets play Subspace"

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Super Smash Bros. is a multiplayer focused series. That will always be its primary focus. Anything in single player is merely a bonus, of which Brawls Subspace Emissary was the greatest. I would gladly accept a more fleshed out story mode for SSB4. Considering there will be a differencing 3DS version of the game, I wouldn't be surprised. The 3DS is more of a "private" system that the individual takes control of. A greater single player experience there makes sense.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I don't really think it matters. Smash bros is about beating the crap out of Nintendo characters. That's the fun of the game, IMO, to most people. No one plays Brawl at a friends house and says "lets play Subspace"

I do. I find Subspace to be a lot of fun, and the story to be enjoyable. The problem here is that I don't want to have the game story-based, because that (could) result in a watered-down game overall. I know, this is Sakurai we're talking about - but even genius can screw things up with a prestigious team. ;)

Dan

I think what we had in brawl was perfect and charming and I'd like to keep it that was for the next game. I'd rather have them focus on multiplayer as it could use some balance and tweaks. Nintendo games are rarely ever about story, nor are most fighters, but if you could put a stronger focus on story without hurting the multiplayer then maybe so.

Brawl had just the right amount of focus on the story, but make the story revolve around Nintendo locales next time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom