• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Should the DS Titles Be Skipped?

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I've been hearing plenty of negativity towards Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. I never got to play the games since I didn't own a DS type handheld until my 3ds XL just last year. So w/ that,I've been looking up some DS games I've been meaning to get and some that others suggested. The Zelda DS games I had plans on getting,but looking at all the complaints about the games,would I be fine if I just skipped them entirely?

well its up to you. there are also people who like em. I don't personally but that shouldn't stop you from deciding for yourself. do you have any friends/family who'd be willing to lend em to you?

The DS games aren't quite as polished as other Zelda games, but they're still enjoyable nonetheless.

One of my biggest hooks to Phantom Hourglass was the online mode, which sadly no longer functions after Nintendo WiFi connection was taken down. The game still has a lot of dungeons and some solid sidequests, however, so I recommend checking it out.

Spirit Tracks fixes the central dungeon mechanic from Phantom Hourglass and has some of the best music in series history. The on-rails overworld is underwhelming, though.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
I can't say I'm a huge fan of the DS games, but they were certainly interesting to play through at least once because of the difference in gameplay mechanics. Being able to annotate the maps with your own notes was also an interesting feature that was added. I think you should try them at least once and make your mind up for yourself. The worst that happens is you trade them in for something else, right?

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
No way, just like every other game in the series, the DS games are a must play. They are unique in their own way, and I feel like you need to play them to get the feel of this. I also didn't mind the use of the touch screen and mic, I don't think it's that big of a deal. Sure they may not be my favorites or even in the top half, but they definitely deserve to be played just like any other Zelda game.

Spirit Tracks fixes the central dungeon mechanic from Phantom Hourglass

Not sure what the "fixing" you are talking about is, I didn't find any problem in TotOK that needed fixing.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
I am extremely Bias on this question. And I will go ahead and say if you do skip them, you not missing out on anything. The touch controls are more annoying than Motion Controls. Are there some pretty cool features about the game.... Yes, but not enough for me to tell you that "You just HAVE to get the DS games". In the end, if you can find them for a good price, and want to complete your collection then yes, get them. Thats why i have them, and i have never played all the way through either of them. Its more work than im willing to put forth to play a game that is meant to be enjoyed.

Beyond saying that you've played them, there really isn't any reason to play the DS games. I played them since I'm a completionist when it comes to certain series (such as Zelda) but they're really the weakest entries in the series. Touch screen controls are bad for this kind of game. They work well enough but they're not fun to use and much of the gameplay comes off as gimmicky. The games would have been better off with traditional controls. Even if controls were fixed, the games are still subpar for Zelda games. They're not bad, but we've come to expect much better from this legendary series. If I had to tell you to skip any Zelda games it would be the DS titles. They literally add nothing to the series.

Salem

SICK
There are a few things you should keep in mind before you decide to buy them:
  1. The controls are different from other top-down Zelda games, you control it by the touch screen, you touch where you wan to go. touch enemies to attack etc.
  2. There's a central dungeon you're gonna have to revisit almost everytime you complete a regular dungeon
  3. That central dungoen involves a lot of sneeking around, there are enemies there you can not kill untill later in the game, although some of the mechanics slightly defer for each game.
If you can tolerate these things, or if they sound actually appealing to you, then you'll be fine, otherwise, it's better to skip.

I'm not trying to sound like I'm discouraging you from playing them, I personally enjoyed both of these games.

Djinn

and Tonic
I skipped them for the most part. I only played a little bit of PH and did not bother with ST. The controls drove me crazy and the lack of freedom in exploring/moving around just took away anything I liked about playing a Zelda game in the first place. I never liked furiously tapping the screen trying to hit something and the controls never really picked up on half of them or it just made Link move around to the spot on top of the enemy. The same motion from the same item handling movement and attack never worked out well in my opinion at all.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I can't say I'm a huge fan of the DS games, but they were certainly interesting to play through at least once because of the difference in gameplay mechanics. Being able to annotate the maps with your own notes was also an interesting feature that was added. I think you should try them at least once and make your mind up for yourself. The worst that happens is you trade them in for something else, right?

well actually to me,it would be the money and time wasted on games i thought i would at least enjoy

onebizarrekai

gay energy
Phantom Hourglass can be very annoying sometimes (in my opinion), but everybody should play Spirit Tracks. Seriously, it's awesome. The ending is worth it. Anybody who thinks the game is bad can't let loose and enjoy a game. It's not particularly difficult, but anybody who played Phantom Hourglass and assumed that Spirit Tracks is bad and not worth it because of it is completely wrong.

ST should be skipped the god awful flute is bad as well think of the worst thing possible then times it by 30

Pfft... seriously? You're calling the game extremely bad because of the FLUTE? You've got to be kidding me. It can be annoying, but only if your mic is having issues. Maybe that's your problem. Tell me, if they took the flute out, would you like the game more? Yes? No? Think about it.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I personally liked Spirit Tracks. Yeah, stylus controls is not something I particularly enjoy in general, and the train track transportation system is limiting - but I think with how you can unlock extra tracks and portals, it works. I also really enjoyed that Zelda actually had a more active role in this game. So I don't recommend skipping it, because it has some good stuff in there.

Haven't played Phantom Hourglass yet, so cannot comment on that one. Will have to wait and see when I get around to it.

ETA: Also, about the flute, instead of blowing, just hum into the mike. Works like a charm ;)

PH is pretty terrible due to the controls while ST is better, but still a mixed bag for me. You can check them out if you want. Just don't expect them to play like other games like ALTTP, for example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom