• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Should Sprinting Return?

Resident Evil also host a sprint feature...but the is, all of those games make the sprint feature truly affect gameplay. Their combat styles (or in the special case of Pokemon, the manner in which overworld plays out) almost require you to sprint, either through enemy fire that is impossible to escape merely by walking or because you are in dire straits [in fear of being attacked by...Zubats :shudder:]. Zelda at least as of SS does not remotely require you to sprint, bar in a few isolated cases. That is what I meant by making it more enjoyable - tie it into the gameplay and not just for flair/stunts purposes. :)

Oh no, I did not mean in regards to the enjoyability of the game. You said that it hurt your thumb and made your fingers uncomfortable (?), so I was wondering if this applied to the other games you have played that had the SS sprint function. My apologies for not being specific.

And there was the barrel roll in SS xD. But I get what you are saying about affecting combat.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Oh no, I did not mean in regards to the enjoyability of the game. You said that it hurt your thumb and made your fingers uncomfortable (?), so I was wondering if this applied to the other games you have played that had the SS sprint function. My apologies for not being specific.

Ah, in that case, no the other games still have not hurt my fingers. It's merely due to the way the Wiimote is laid out; I have to stretch my fingers to reach the proper positions, and the A button is just unwieldy (for me). With talk on the rise about ZeldaU retaining usage of Wiimote+Nunchuk, I fear that I may have to endure yet another game with the blasted A button. :I

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I don't see the problem with having a limitation on the sprinting. If we could just sprint everywhere willy nilly, the pace of the game would be broken, as we could blast through any area no sweat. Think about it: would there be any challenge crossing quicksand in Lanayru if we could sprint forever? No! There wouldn't be! Having a limitation on the sprinting is a GOOD thing. No offense, but it really irritates me when people can't tell when a limitation in a video game actually benefits the game design rather than hindering it. Tank controls and limited ammo in Resident Evil, anyone?

And if you can't tell, yes, I want sprinting to return. It speeds up the flow of the game and opens up new opportunities in the level design.

I liked being able to sprint. And although I didn't like the limitation, I understand how it does make work into the game play. I am not really great at these style games, so I have to work a bit harder. The limits to sprinting and endurance make you have to think about where you are going and managing the nearby energy resources.

Luke's Wife

peaked in 2015
[video=youtube;31g0YE61PLQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31g0YE61PLQ[/video]
yeah i don't need to explain myself

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
I wouldn't mind sprinting returning, but I'm pretty it's been proven that rolling is faster; however, sprinting adds a realistic feel to the game. On the contrary, you don't lose stamina while rolling. I'm 50/50 on this subject.

I wouldn't mind sprinting returning, but I'm pretty it's been proven that rolling is faster; however, sprinting adds a realistic feel to the game. On the contrary, you don't lose stamina while rolling. I'm 50/50 on this subject.

But rolling looks ridiculous.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Tank controls and limited ammo in Resident Evil, anyone?

The difference between RE's limitations and Zelda's limitations are that, in the case of 0-CVX/3 at least, the controls and limited ammo are there to generate a sense of fear (well, those alongside fixed camera angles); Zelda's stamina gauge was there just to make things "not broken". I've played through SS with infinite stamina for craps and giggles, and I have to say that infinite stamina actually enhances the game: the stamina gauge as it is currently has just enough stamina for you to get what you're aiming for. In other words, it's an arbitrary limitation because it doesn't truly limit anything. It doesn't test your skills because the next fruit is literarily within rolling reach; the next rock platform is available for you to rest within oen full cycle of sprinting.

While I totally understand the idea of limiting sprinting measures, its execution needs to be reviewed - and pronto.

Um, Link had terrible form. If Nintendo plans on bringing it back, I hope they make a more realistic animation for an efficient sprint. He clearly wouldn't tire as quickly if he didn't flail his limbs like he did, realistically speaking. You say the dashing is realistic; no one runs like that. I mean, the dashing in Skyward Sword was obnoxious and it honestly made Link look pathetic and wussy. Nothing is realistic about that. It wasn't necessarily adding any extra challenge to the game, moreso it was adding more redundant puzzle-esque properties to the very essence of the gameplay--and Nintendo already tried too hard with the WiiMotion Plus to do that.

Incorporating the idea of having Link walk/run at different speeds, I am fine with. I just didn't like the way they went about doing it in Skyward Sword. In most games I've played, tilting the joystick all the way makes the character dash, which only tilting it part of the way equates to walking. I'm not necessarily sure how that'd work for the Legend of Zelda games--but if RPGs can handle it, I think swordplay in any game could, if the developers are creative and flexible.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
The difference between RE's limitations and Zelda's limitations are that, in the case of 0-CVX/3 at least, the controls and limited ammo are there to generate a sense of fear (well, those alongside fixed camera angles); Zelda's stamina gauge was there just to make things "not broken". I've played through SS with infinite stamina for craps and giggles, and I have to say that infinite stamina actually enhances the game: the stamina gauge as it is currently has just enough stamina for you to get what you're aiming for. In other words, it's an arbitrary limitation because it doesn't truly limit anything. It doesn't test your skills because the next fruit is literarily within rolling reach; the next rock platform is available for you to rest within oen full cycle of sprinting.

While I totally understand the idea of limiting sprinting measures, its execution needs to be reviewed - and pronto.

There's not really anything else you can do with stamina in terms of concept. What are you asking for, an area that can't be crossed because it requires too much stamina to be used? That'd be ********. There's no way we'd be able to overcome that. Honestly, this is like saying a jump that requires a specific angle is flawed in execution because there's juuust enough room for you to make it without falling into a bottomless pit.

The only thing that can really be done from here is make the stamina even more prevalent than it already was in SS, specifically by adding in more parkour elements that require precise timing and consideration of how much stamina you have left. You know... the same exact concept that's already behind it, just more advanced.

Um, Link had terrible form. If Nintendo plans on bringing it back, I hope they make a more realistic animation for an efficient sprint. He clearly wouldn't tire as quickly if he didn't flail his limbs like he did, realistically speaking.

It's called game design, mandems. SS's game design was built around how long he could sprint. It may be kinda funny that our almighty hero can't dash for more than 5 or 6 seconds without tiring out, but video game logic doesn't have to apply to real life logic.

Last edited:

HylianHero

Gardener of Elysium
I say keep the sprint and the stamina gauge. I thought they were great game mechanics. Now they could be improved upon by giving us a tangible way to increase our stamina, but that's the only complaint I have.

Yuki Cross

Attack on Titan~!!!
I went back to Twilight Princess after I finished SS, and found my self in agony from mashing the A button only to see Link roll a short distance. It didn't bother me the first time I played TP, but then after I got used to sprinting on SS it was very annoying. They should keep it for future games.

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
I definitely want sprinting to return. It made running around feel a lot less tedious and rolling around everywhere looks kinda... silly. I can't imagine what the NPCs are thinking every time Link casually rolls by. Probably something like this: :huh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom