• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Should Sprinting Return?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Quite a neat little add on in Skyward Sword was the actual ability to sprint. Now the reason why this was a good feature was that in past games, well in most games we have been limited to the capacity of a fast jog at best. The hero of Hyrule can slay giant beasts, weild powerful weapons but yet he cannot run fast? Well this changed with Skyward Sword and in my opinion I think it felt like we were free in a sense, we could actually explore at are desired pace and not be limited to a fast jog.

There was the limitation of the sprint metre and it was a shame that this really wasn't expanded upon as we could have had upgrades and such to improve hhow long we can run for as in segments we were teased with the idea. Sprinting in my opinion doesn't just free up Link but it also allows for faster game play, something I think the franchise needs, I can imagine certain scenarios now where a sprint featurewould make for some neat sections of game play. Maybe the idea of a collapsing structure and Link frantically running away, kind of like the segment in Skyward Sword but a lot more intense.

However I can see why Skyward Sword limited the sprinting feature, some may see it as overpowered, Link can easily sprint past enemies or traps etc. There is also the matter if it were implement then it may mean a generally quicker game as one could sprint though the majority. In fact it could also decrease are dependency on ways of transportation, which has been a stable feature in recent Zelda games.

So would the sprint feature be a welcome addition in future games? If so how should they go about it? Tell me your thoughts on the matter as I think it could definitely improve game play they just need to limit it better than it was in Skyward Sword.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Pretty much everyone tries to find a way to move faster than the standard run, be it rolling or side-stepping or glitching. The extra speed is what made the Bunny Hood so popular in Majora’s Mask. Having the dash ability was a great addition that made getting around faster and allowed us to jump wider gaps and climb to higher ledges which could have had a big impact on level design. It’s just such a shame that it was limited by Stamina.

I absolutely think sprinting should return. I was very pleased to hear that Skyward Sword would allow us to sprint but, as I said in the quote above, the Stamina Gauge should not come with it. Giving us a useful ability that will not only make the game more enjoyable (due to less time spent getting from place to place) but could also have an effect on level design and allow for interesting scenarios (such as chases or fun mini-games) is something Nintendo should be doing. Putting an arbitrary and pointless limit on that ability is something they definately should not be doing.

The ability to sprint freely wouldn't really be over powered either. It's really not hard to simply run past enemies as it is, the sprint won't change that. If I want to avoid conflict in a Zelda game I avoid it, a sprint would just let me do that faster. If Nintendo are worried that such a sprint would take away the threat from traps or enemies then they should design new ones that can handle a fast moving player, but I really don't think that'd be necessary. Look at A Link to the Past or The Minish Cap, the Pegasus Boots were essentially a sprint function and they didn't let you just breeze through the game without fear of harm. I don't think any kind of limit is needed as a sprint ability wouldn't make the game easier, in my opinion, just more enjoyable.

onebizarrekai

gay energy
I wasn't really a fan of it, but it did really make Zelda a bit more realistic. How would Link have infinite energy, anyway?

I would say no, but that's just me not liking the limited amount of energy.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
If they are to return the stamina bar, I hope they make better use of it in terms of puzzles. SS didn't do too bad of a job, but the challenge didn't feel common enough for me.

Z

Zylian

Haven't played skyward sword yet, but I would already LOVE the idea of being able to go faster than the speed of an old man wobbling around >..<
Especially at times when you have to cross big fields like termina and there isn't a horse nearby to help out... yeah~

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
As I prefer backwalking and sidehopping, I have to say no. It's bad enough that I have to injure my thumb holding the control stick down, don't make me hold yet ANOTHER button down.

If backwalking can't return, then yes allow sprinting back into the fold...just make it more enjoyable.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
I'd like to see it return. I think it's a really useful function, and I'd like to see it implemented even better in subsequent games. Better management of the Stamina Bar would have to be put in place, though; while I do think the idea of a hero with a stamina range is a good concept, certain parts would need to be implemented. Also, I agree that there need to be even more events in-game that test your sprinting abilities.

My preference would be to keep it and lose the stamina meter completely. Why could every other Link spam spin attacks and climb indefinitely and SS Link not? Was he unfit?
Why can't he just sprint, why does there have to be a cost, there was never any cost with spamming rolls to move faster and that'd be a lot more physically demanding....

But to negate all of the arguments how about they just take the sprinting out.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
Haven't played skyward sword yet, but I would already LOVE the idea of being able to go faster than the speed of an old man wobbling around >..<
Especially at times when you have to cross big fields like termina and there isn't a horse nearby to help out... yeah~

Same, I haven't played Skyward Sword, but I disagree. I don't really like the idea of sprinting. There is just something nostalgic about rolling around the world and I imagine it would feel different without it. I'm not sure it would really feel like a 3D Zelda game without rolling.

I don't know though. My opinion might change after I play Skyward Sword.

As I prefer backwalking and sidehopping, I have to say no. It's bad enough that I have to injure my thumb holding the control stick down, don't make me hold yet ANOTHER button down.

If backwalking can't return, then yes allow sprinting back into the fold...just make it more enjoyable.

Lol, no offense Mr. Ventus, but there are a bunch of games that have a sprint function exactly like SS. You are telling me that you have never played any of them? Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, etc....Even Pokemon in the beginning till you get the bike.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Lol, no offense Mr. Ventus, but there are a bunch of games that have a sprint function exactly like SS. You are telling me that you have never played any of them? Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, etc....Even Pokemon in the beginning till you get the bike.

Resident Evil also host a sprint feature...but the is, all of those games make the sprint feature truly affect gameplay. Their combat styles (or in the special case of Pokemon, the manner in which overworld plays out) almost require you to sprint, either through enemy fire that is impossible to escape merely by walking or because you are in dire straits [in fear of being attacked by...Zubats :shudder:]. Zelda at least as of SS does not remotely require you to sprint, bar in a few isolated cases. That is what I meant by making it more enjoyable - tie it into the gameplay and not just for flair/stunts purposes. :)

I'd say yes, I would also like a way to increase the stamina bar as the game goes on to increase the RPG aspects of the game, something which I enjoyed in SS. Either way I don't think its a hindrance at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom