• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Should Companions Be Weapons?

Simple enough thread; we all know the companions in recent Zelda games such as Fi, Midna, KoRL, Zelda (in ST) etc are naught but guides for Link in the instalments they inhabit, but should they be more than that?

Should they be a source of power like a weapon?
Should they be some sort of power up?

What would you have your companion do other than guide you?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
They shouldn't be a weapon, but they should definitely be combat capable. Quite tired of the tag along backpack GPS thing tbh.

They don't necessarily need to be a weapon, but what I'd like to see is them using magic and spells on enemies and using magic to heal you during combat.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Isn't Fi a weapon?

Anyway, it depends on the situation. Companions were designed to provide instructions and guidance. They have fulfilled this role rather well throughout the series. Navi, Tatl, KORL, Midna, and Fi have had varied qualities, but they all got the job done. I see no dire reason to change this. But creative ideas are usually good, so a good combat ready companion should be implemented if it's a genuinely good design.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
It would be cool if Magic were to be a big deal in one of the games if you Companion were the source of Magic, and Spells and whatnot. i think it would be a cool way to see that type of interaction with the companion sometime!

Cuz i kinda see things the way Ventus does to a degree!

Salem

SICK
Princess Ruto was a weapon....

They shouldn't be a weapon, but they should definitely be combat capable. Quite tired of the tag along backpack GPS thing tbh.

They don't necessarily need to be a weapon, but what I'd like to see is them using magic and spells on enemies and using magic to heal you during combat.

It would be cool if Magic were to be a big deal in one of the games if you Companion were the source of Magic, and Spells and whatnot. i think it would be a cool way to see that type of interaction with the companion sometime!

Cuz i kinda see things the way Ventus does to a degree!

Why give the companions magic if you can give that ability to Link?

Isn't Fi a weapon?
Yes.:)

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
It's an interesting idea, but I think it's one of those things that's been done too much.

First, there is Fi, who is the spirit of the Master Sword. Link's companion is his sword. Awesome. Now that it's been done, there needs to be a new kind of companion, or a new game should go old school and have Link on his own.

I've recently gone through watching an anime called Soul Eater. You've probably heard of it, it's fairly popular. People and weapons-who-are-companions is pretty much the entire premise of the series. (That and collecting souls for the Grim Reaper and fighting an evil god of madness). In that world, magic and witches exist and 800 years ago, some witches experimented with creating living weapons, which means, in the present day, present time, magical weapons are a race of people. You can be born a weapon - having a human form and an alternate weapon-form and people who are capable of using these weapons wield them in a partnership. The main characters are a teen girl and her scythe-who-is-a-teen-boy. Since Soul Eater pretty much takes the whole companion/weapon convention up to eleven, I don't see how Zelda could do anymore with partners like Fi without looking like the series is copying or in some way, unoriginal.

(Fi operated differently than the weapon-people in SE, but, still... emphatic weapons are a concept that's been done to death in fantasy fiction).

Aelic7

The Young Drifter
Seriously, has anyone played Phantom Hourglass? That was the first thing I thought of when I read this thread. Once you get all three fairies, you can swap them out and each one will give you different power-ups such as a flaming (extra damage) sword, sword beams, and better shield protection. Once you collected enough Force Gems, you could power them up even further. I think this is one of the best things in Phantom Hourglass that gets seriously overlooked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom