• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Shield Utilization

balloonofwar4

The Mystical Man-Fairy
How will the shield be used in ZeldaU if there is motion controls? What I have always imagined is that Ninty would make a sort of strap accessory for the WiiU. This way, you could hook it around your forearm and have it be like you are actually using a shield. However, this idea is flawed, as you cannot move without a joystick.

Also, do you think the shield might gain some more importance? I mean, a lot of Zelda games have been focused on a sword, why not a shield for a change? I think upgrading your shield like SS did with the MS could be cool. Like you could switch from a mirror casing to a flame-absorbing casing.

I just got shields on my mind today.

Salem

SICK
how about using the shield and being able to walk normally without needing to Z/L-target enemies????

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I hope it reverts to the OoT format where you raise shield with ZR. That'd do me some good numbers in regards to the combat system.

As for the shield gaining some story importance, I wouldn't give it a chance of happening. The Master Sword has recently been reduced to a mere byproduct of events. Why would any shield be treated as anything more than that? So I wouldn't give a story shield any time of day. Keep it in the gameplay realm, not in the story realm.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
They could do more with the shields in a storyline sense, sure, but I don't really think that's what Zelda is missing. I wasn't bored playing Skyward Sword thinking "DAMNIT IF ONLY MY SHIELD HAD SOME BACKSTORY!"

As for how the shield could be used, I'd like to see it more prominent. Like Ventus said (+rep) I'd like to see it go back to the OoT formula and have you actually use it. But, again, it's not exactly a terrible thing if that doesn't happen. I would like to see them explore better combat though.

Salem

SICK
I never said that I desperately wanted a shield to be part of the story. I just said it would be interesting if it did happen.
Well, if you think about it, masks, musical instruments, specific articles of clothing had backstories, so really, it's only a matter of time before a shield gets it's own backstory.:rolleyes:

I hope it reverts to the OoT format where you raise shield with ZR. That'd do me some good numbers in regards to the combat system.

Sword and shield combat in OoT was boring:

Step1: shield
Step2: wait for enemy to hit shield
Step3: hit enemy back
Rinse and repeat until enemy dies.

Shield never fails... that sounds like a meme, lol.

Anyway I think TP style Hidden Skills (with cooldown maybe?) combat mixed with SS style breakable shields and directional attacks is a good option for ZU.

(both can be incorporated, the Wii U has enough buttons and button combinations :P)

TMLink76240

Travis Mask
With the strap on the console contoller, you could use it with the wii remote and nunchuck, possibly? The gamepad controller could be used as a map as well, still being strapped on the back of your arm, and can serve as your options menu as well. With the combination of the nunchuck and gamepad controller, you would have more control of your shield actions.

Sword and shield combat in OoT was boring:

Step1: shield
Step2: wait for enemy to hit shield
Step3: hit enemy back
Rinse and repeat until enemy dies.

Shield never fails... that sounds like a meme, lol.

Maybe that's why he wants that. I, personally, enjoy more, though. I think motion sensory with Zelda games were game's pb&j.

Last edited:

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
I've been thinking of ideas for a Zelda game where Link's Shield is a highly focused item both story wise and gameplay wise for almost a year now. I really think this could work for a Wii U Zelda game. :)

TMLink76240

Travis Mask
If only there was a way to convince them of such. I hope they do, though.

But, they really really really really really neeeeeed to make a way to block with your blade, as well

Blocking with your blade would help in situations like OoT with the Giant's Knife.

Salem

SICK
But, they really really really really really neeeeeed to make a way to block with your blade, as well

Blocking with your blade would help in situations like OoT with the Giant's Knife.
That would require the shield to be destructible, otherwise, why else would you block with a sword? Link's not a Jedi.:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom