• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Sampling in Music?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Nothing overall wrong with it in my point of view; it's merely a SAMPLE not the entire production.

Chameleon

Down for maintenance.
it being illegal these days is completely ridiculous. Sampling is one of the richest ways to create music nowadays, and, as long as its not a rip-off, it's an amazing tool and that's why the 90s music sounds so cool.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I don't see no harm in it really, in fact it's quite a well known thing to do in the Hip Hop industry...

A lot of great mixtapes over the years has implemented sampling in some sort of way and to be honest there have been a lot of cases were someone's version of the original beat is actually better. I do see the complications and whatnot but generally if a good beat is around then there should be no reason to stop an artist from using it.

Hanyou

didn't build that
Sampling should be completely legal. I think most IP laws are too restrictive, so that's a given.

Furthermore, I've heard sounds and movie clips sampled to great effect.

However, I've yet to hear a song I like that samples heavily from another song. I think one of the most egregious examples of a bad song that samples from a good song is "Power" by Kanye West. He sampled from the important and historic King Crimson song, "21st Century Schizoid Man," without so much as asking permission from Robert Fripp until it had been heard by over a million people.

That's just disgusting conduct. It's part of what drove Fripp, the brains behind Crimson, out of the music business. I also think it's rather sad that a good number of people will be introduced to the Crimson song with West's tasteless, profanity-laced lyrics that have nothing to do with the subject matter of the original song and sap every bit of atmosphere from it. I was honestly appalled the first time I heard West's version. I've heard he does the same thing with other songs as well, so I have no desire to hear anything else by him. As I understand it, he was fully within his legal rights here, so it's not a legal issue.

This is all, of course, personal opinion. Art speaks for itself, and artists should be free to use all tools at their disposal. What I mentioned was but one example that left a sour taste in my mouth, and I'm not very informed about the practice, so I make no moral claims. I just hope other artists show more tact and bother to ask permission from the original composer, if possible, before sampling, or at least preserve something of the original message, atmosphere, and content.

Dan

A recent shoutbox conversation gave me this idea. What do you guys think of sampling in music?

Sampling (music) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think it's just another great tool in the box to make some great music. I agree with the others it should be legal, didn't even realise till reading this thread it was Illegal, that's really harsh. The music industry itself nowadays seems so tight and restricted. Anyway what do YOU think of sampling, I'm really curious as you made the thread. :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom