• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rupees?

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
Yes, it's just a currency in India. Actually, if you watch the movie "Slumdog Millionaire" the whole thing is about this kid on the show who wants to be a millionaire and how he tries to win 1,000,000 dollars or 200,000,000 rupees in their currency.

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
The original LoZ manual called them rubies, not rupees. This is kind of odd considering a ruby is only red in colour, and there was only yellow and blue rupies in the game. The red one was only introduced in ALttP.

I wonder if the term slipped into the word rupees because of a bad translation, or just someone without the knowledge of what exactly a rupee was used the term for the English manual of ALttP -- the first place they were called rupees that I'm aware of. They still call them "precious stones" in the ALttP manual, so it makes me think it might have just been an error that stuck.

H

HalfBlindGamer

Well, in the languate i speak it means '' do something / is going to do something / rupes - does something (finally)'' in bit negative way.
And i heard rupee is currency of india like someone said it before.

TVTMaster

Guy What's Angry Now
Prepare for ranting! And make it daunting! To protect the world from misinformation! To unite all facts within our lexicon! To defeat the evils of ignorance! To extend the reach of knowledge past happenstance! Me! Me! TVTMaster, ranting incoherently at the speed of light! Read this now, and know I'm right!

I've actually come up with a theory as to the origins and properties of rupees.

There are in fact three types of rupees, all of which take on a similar shape. Rupees are based largely off of a mineral substance found in much of the soil of Hyrule, traditionally referred to as Ruprose. Ruprose is a type of sugar, the crystals of which form a fourteen-sided polyhedron (the iconic rupee shape). This substance is found in many types of Hyrulean plants, due to its common occurrence in Hyrulean soil. Ruprose typically manifests into the Rupee crystal through three methods.

1- Ruprose-Glucose- Plant Rupees.
Many varieties of Hyrulean grasses use ruprose in much of their metabolism, along with glucose sugars. This mixture of sugars produces a sap which, although it has a high energy content when properly metabolized, is metabolized very slowly. As such, many grasses in Hyrule and adjoining lands have sap sacs, which burst when the grass is cut, releasing the ruprose. Upon exposure to oxygen, the Ruprose immediately crystallizes, with mature grasses producing rupees of adequate size to function as currency. These rupees typically look glossy and sticky, and are shorter and rounder than other types.
However, sunlight causes this type of rupee to quickly decompose and become worthless as currency. The ruprose and glucose is returned to the soil in raw form, allowing the remaining grass to quickly gain the energy to form new stalks. Many grasses also use ruprose in their cell walls, providing a stiffness that makes an adequate arrow shaft. Smaller, non-currency rupees can act as arrowheads, hence the spawns of arrows from cut grass. Some species even metabolize ruprose into an unstable form, that when not carefully stored can have explosive effects- hence bombs from grass. Hearts are typically explained separately- medicinal grasses produce a similar substance that seals wounds and encourages fibrin production.

2- Calcite Ruprose- Animal Rupees.
Because of the properties of ruprose in plants, many animals in Hyrule feed on said grasses. Ruprose cannot be easily metabolized by animals, therefore Hyrulean creatures, with rare non-ruprose plants to eat, found a way to use ruprose. Many creatures developed tough skins by allowing ruprose to crystallize in their skin, especially reptilian creatures. Most creatures, however, remove excess ruprose from their system with specialized organs that store ruprose. The enzyme that carries this sugar out of the bloodstream separates it from the glucose and bonds it to calcium-containing molecules, thus imparting a different quality to the rupee. While plant-produced rupee crystals are like hard candy and subject to melting, calcite rupees have a glassier, paler look, and don't melt like the glucose type. However, calcite rupees are quite fragile, as the calcium substances create gaps between ruprose crystals, which causes it to lose cohesion.

3- Mineral Ruprose- Rock Rupees.
Ruprose-rich soils that are eroded typically find their way into sedimentary rocks. While ruprose easily loses cohesion as a large crystal, it retains its properites even under extreme heat and pressure. Therefore, ruprose is often found in subterranean rock, which is frequently pushed to the surface by Hyrule's frequent seismic activity. While most rocks do not allow ruprose to gather in large enough quantities to form crystals, metamorphic and igneous ruprose geodes frequently form. Because ruprose's structure likes to form structures with other rupees, these geodes take a layer of rock with them. This structure also makes it difficult for rock to stay in cohesion with other rocks, meaning that ruprose geodes fall from cliff faces rather frequently. Large geodes contain other minerals that can affect ruprose's color, and when broken open contain a huge wealth of rare rupee colors. These geodes are typically fragile due to their hollow nature. However, while rock ruprose, with no other substance affecting its structure, is extremely durable, large concussive forces can compromise the stability of the crystal.
Whenever possible, rupees from animal and plant sources are refined into rock ruprose by boiling it. In water and heat, ruprose loses connection with other compounds, and floats to the top as a kind of green scum. This is filtered from the boiling water and impurities, and allowed to recrystallize into a normal rupee. Colored rupees are usually filtered separately with specific additives to prevent the separation of the ruprose from the color stain. Efforts to artifically infuse rupees with color have typically been failures.

So to sum- ruprose is a special sugar found in Hyrulean soil, readily crystallizes into rupees, and comes in different forms that must usually be refined before entering distribution.

Gohma

Mmmmmmmmmh... BOMBS
The original LoZ manual called them rubies, not rupees. This is kind of odd considering a ruby is only red in colour, and there was only yellow and blue rupies in the game. The red one was only introduced in ALttP.

I wonder if the term slipped into the word rupees because of a bad translation, or just someone without the knowledge of what exactly a rupee was used the term for the English manual of ALttP -- the first place they were called rupees that I'm aware of. They still call them "precious stones" in the ALttP manual, so it makes me think it might have just been an error that stuck.

I think the same thing. Rupee/Ruby...
Look, in French versions of LoZ, They are called "rubis", which only means "ruby"... (so yeah that's kinda strange to found a "blue ruby"...)
I think the developpers didn't know that "rupee" was actually a real currency, and decided to deform the word, giving a name to LoZ's currency. (And of course French translators didn't have that idea T_T")

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
I'm very sure that Nintendo knew that Rupee was a real currency. If a bunch of random people (such as you or me) knew that Rupee was a real form of currency out of common knowledge (I knew it was a form of currency before I was a hardcore Zelda player) then I'm sure educated and skilled videogame designers and series creators knew that too.

bellum

Gamer since age 2
Rupees are what Nintendo made them to be. Sure we all know that it's india/pakistans currency. Rupees in the real world are paper. Rupees in zelda are crystal-like. Rupees are what Nintendo made them.

Akiranon

Fallen Knight
I wonder if rupees are edible. You know, since they grow from plants and people store them in pots. I'd bet the green ones taste like lime, the red ones like strawberry and they silver ones? Well, honestly, I have no idea.

Rupee sounds better than, say, Gald for example. Which is just the incorrect form of Gold. There's even Fake Gald in Tales of Vesperia. Perhaps that's Gold, then? Ah, forget it. :P

Vincent

Retired Super Mod and HK
Rupees being edible sounds ridiculous, as does that whole theory that crazy TVT guy came up with. If they could be grown in the ground, their value would plummet, thus causing a depression in Hyrule.

Akiranon

Fallen Knight
Rupees being edible sounds ridiculous, as does that whole theory that crazy TVT guy came up with. If they could be grown in the ground, their value would plummet, thus causing a depression in Hyrule.
Haha, in a sense rupees ARE worthless. Why are they hidden in plants? Does Tingle put them there during the night (or even better, when you turn your game off). Is there a Central Bank of Hyrule that creates rupees? The whole currency is flawed! :P

I'm just joking around, by the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom