• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rewards for quality of post?

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I don't think it's unfair to suggest that instead of rewarding the number of times someone posts, we reward the quality of posts, perhaps by community suggestion or voting.

I don't mean any offence to anyone whose won on the basis of their post count but just as an idea for the future so it's more fair for the community as a whole rather than lets face, it the same couple of people always winning. While I don't think those people are bad at making threads or something, and that we're trying to encourage activity, I think people should post because they want to post and not because they're after a banner or feel they have to compete with people who post a lot in order to be recognised within the community.

I'm not even necessarily saying don't reward people for posting often, I just think there should be more to it than simply how many times somone posts. Like, how well-thought-out something is, the kind of depth of discussion that results, and not just for the people who start the threads, but people who spend time writing out interesting points and thinking of new ways of looking at something. Not only would this encourage more community feel but I feel this type of thing could encourage activity in places such as Zelda Theory. Just a thought. I realise not everyone agree's with this but after lengthy shoutbox discussion, I thought I'd put it out there.

miniluigi008

Just smile and nod.
Psalm 120:1 "I call on the LORD in my distress, and he answers me."
I agree with this.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
It used to be quality posters would become one of the Hylian Knights. Not sure if that group still exists, but it is something the forum has tried before.

Beauts

It used to be quality posters would become one of the Hylian Knights. Not sure if that group still exists, but it is something the forum has tried before.

I realise the HKs was supposed to be this but we all know the problems that arose from that what with inactivity and whatnot. I just think if there's time for monthly banner rewards for post count there should be for quality of post too. I don't necessarily think it should be a case of giving someone a permaent title- that kind of thing can alienate new members.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Quality posting banners would be interesting, with a user vote I imagine. I wouldn't like to replace the Top Poster banner with this, but it could be another banner alongside the top poster one.

miniluigi008

Just smile and nod.
Psalm 120:1 "I call on the LORD in my distress, and he answers me."
From the way I've heard, it seems things get started around here and then they don't get carried out...

I don't see the harm in keeping a banner for post quantity and adding a banner for post quality. I mean, the GKAs have both a "Most Active Poster" and "Best Poster" award.

Unfortunately, this award won't do much for less popular sections like Zelda Theory. The quality poster of the month will consistently be someone from World of Zelda, General Discussion, or the Mature Discussion because those sections get the most exposure.

My only uncertainty about this is whether or not voting should be anonymous. Anonymity encourages honesty, but it can also fall prey to popular members winning all the time. A public vote makes people more likely to consider a wider range of choices when they see other peoples' responses; however, their final choice may be due to social pressure, not who they believe should win.

Beauts

I don't see the harm in keeping a banner for post quantity and adding a banner for post quality. I mean, the GKAs have both a "Most Active Poster" and "Best Poster" award.

Unfortunately, this award won't do much for less popular sections like Zelda Theory. The quality poster of the month will consistently be someone from World of Zelda, General Discussion, or the Mature Discussion because those sections get the most exposure.

My only uncertainty about this is whether or not voting should be anonymous. Anonymity encourages honesty, but it can also fall prey to popular members winning all the time. A public vote makes people more likely to consider a wider range of choices when they see other peoples' responses; however, their final choice may be due to social pressure, not who they believe should win.

I think it could help ZT in some ways, if people feel like they weren't wasting their time in there. Some people are driven by reward and given the lack of exposure reward could possibly be the pick me up that section needs. I agree though that the other sections are more likely to glean winners. The voting could be an issue, I agree. I guess that's the kind of thing that needs the opinion of the whole community as to what they think would be best.

Djinn

and Tonic
We have played around with this idea so many times in the past and never landed on anything permanent. With the old rep system where a reasonable post attracted lots of positive reputation, to the Hylian Knights rewarding people for consistent post quality and behavior, to the thread of the month article on the main site, to the Golden Fro award little over a year and a half ago. And now we have the like system which is sort of a lesser and not quite as official method of rewarding a well thought out post or simply being entertaining.

I am all for some form of system to be put in place, but what exactly can we do that has not been tried before, or how can it change so that it sticks around?

We have played around with this idea so many times in the past and never landed on anything permanent. With the old rep system where a reasonable post attracted lots of positive reputation, to the Hylian Knights rewarding people for consistent post quality and behavior, to the thread of the month article on the main site, to the Golden Fro award little over a year and a half ago. And now we have the like system which is sort of a lesser and not quite as official method of rewarding a well thought out post or simply being entertaining.

I am all for some form of system to be put in place, but what exactly can we do that has not been tried before, or how can it change so that it sticks around?

I think implementing the banner and having either a voting thread that's promoted through an SB sticky or a sticky that reminds people to vote through PM (whichever we go with) is sufficient. The problem with the old ranks and rewards is that they were a "one and done" deal, so they quickly grew stagnant. An automatic award that can be won multiple times won't fall victim to this.

Beauts

As ALIT said, the old system resulted in permanent titles which soon became irrelevant or overtime members became inactive yet still had those rewards. We were definitely talking about a banner or something given out on a monthly basis that can change depending on who gets voted top. It would be far more fair and also unlike the HK system wouldn't depend on whether the HKs happened to like you.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
I'm ready to fully implement this, we could even do a late vote for January, my only question is what should we name it? Or what should we name the current Top Poster of the Month to differentiate it from Best Poster?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom