• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Resident Evil 7? WTF

Cfrock

Keep it strong
As someone who's only played RE4 and Revelations, why are people so upset about this game? It looks pretty scary to me.
People are upset because of how much of a departure 7 is from the entire series. Resident Evil has always changed and experimented over time, and this isn't even the first time it's been in first-person, but action has always been a big part of it, right from the start. 7 looks like it'll be a lot slower with a lot less action, and thus it seems to be the biggest departure from the series' gameplay there's ever been, even more so the 4.

I would say that the lack of recognisable characters and symbols adds to that. For a lot of people, Resident Evil is its charatcers, like Jill Valentine, Leon Kennedy, Chris Redfield, Ada Wong, etc. Apart from what might be the Umbrella logo in the demo (which is apparently not part of the game) and a voice that kind of maybe possibly sounds a bit like Ada Wong if you're specifically trying to here her voice, there's nothing we've seen so far connecting 7 with the series as a whole.

Add to that the presence of ghosts and you basically don't have a Resident Evil game. Supernatural elements were considered for the original Resident Evil but were scrapped early on. They considered bringing them back in some early builds of 4 but decided against it because it didn't feel enough like a Resident Evil game. The supernatural elements of 7 might turn out to have a *cough* scientific origin but the fact this game has ghosts has upset a lot of fans.

On a personal level, like a lot of people, I don't know what to make of this game. It's Resident Evil so I want to be excited and I want it to be good. But after playing the demo and reading some previews it seems that Capcom are pushing for the game to be part of the recent style of horror games like Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Outlast. I don't know if this genre has a name, but you basically walk around a location in first-person while the game tries to scare you. I think that's a bad move.

Both of those games have received high praise but I played them both and thought they were both utter rubbish. I'm a massive sh*tbag. I get scared so easily that I've genuinely screamed in terror when playing Resi 4. Amnesia is not scary. Not even slightly. Outlast is not scary. Not even slightly. The games are so heavily orchestrated that their mechanics show at every turn. For me, horror requires atmosphere and immersion. I find it hard to be immersed in a game that makes its design and technical function so blatantly obvious. And thus I don't find it scary.

Amnesia was so painfully boring. With no way to defend yourself and a max speed that was slower than the monsters, I knew, from a design point-of-view, that I was never in danger unless I deliberately approached a monster. Add to that a leitmotif that only played when monsters were around and that stopped once they had de-spawned, there was nothing to be afraid of. Monsters were just a momentary pause in me walking around a castle.

Outlast was very similar, although it was slightly better because it forced you into a couple of scenarios in which you had to sneak past a monster. But overall it was the same thing. Too heavily scripted, too forced. The night-vision camera felt like a cheap aesthetic decision to try and add some tension. It fell flat. The game was tedious and unengaging.

I feel I'm in the minority on this. All I've ever seen for Amnesia is praise, yet it's one of the worst horror games I've ever played. And if Resident Evil is going that direction, I don't want to follow. I am hopeful despite my pessimism that Resi 7 is more than just 'walk-through-a-location-and-don't-get-spotted-by-the-SpOoKy-MoNsTeRs'. Because that isn't scary to me, no matter how things look or the sounds I hear. If I don't feel in any danger, the game will fall flat for me. And from my experiences with this kind of game they are too obvious in their mechanics to make me feel endangered.

Still though, fingers crossed.

Personally, I have to wonder whether the worries about this game being too different or whatever are a bit premature. I mean yeah, the supernatural elements are odd and the atmosphere so far isn't too Resident Evil like. But hey, maybe we don't just explore this house/area. I mean, the original game had a laboratory under the mansion after all. Zero had areas other than the train. And the various games from 4 onwards had the player visit a series of different locations and meet much weirder and creepier monsters near the endgame.

Perhaps this one picks up a bit around the halfway point or something.

But that's just my thought on the matter.

So many people keep likening this to Silent Hill, i hope theyre all just meaning the first person P.T demo and not the series of old... because i dont see a 7foot beefcake with a giant pyramid on his head doing freaky things to two pairs of mannequin legs joined at the waist in a run down building in a ghost town.

Nor do i see the world turning to hell and corpses crawling out of walls.

And Robbie is also M.I.A

All i see is "The Blair Witch Chainsaw Massacre"

Last edited:

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I don't really understand the apprehension towards this new style of Resident Evil.

Resident Evil ceased being horror several games ago, so it's nice to see it go back to its roots.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I don't really understand the apprehension towards this new style of Resident Evil.

Resident Evil ceased being horror several games ago, so it's nice to see it go back to its roots.

Except it's not returning to the series' roots. What we've seen so far of Resident Evil 7 is horror, not survival horror. The lack of "strong" characters but even more so established characters contradicts the premise and preference Shinji Mikami had for the original game. The demo for the game definitely has a great tone and is even designed like a classic Resident Evil game, but there's no danger. You don't face anybody, you're not being chased by anything, random cheap **** just happens. A guy walks passed a door and disappears, a doll falls from out of thin air, and a mannequin gets thrown in front of you by no one. You're literally just walking through the house and watching things happen. That alone has more in common with Resident Evil 6 (specifically the first 10 minutes of Leon's campaign) than Resident Evil's roots. Then of course, there's the first-person gameplay which radically changes everything. It no longer plays like a Resident Evil game. At least when RE4 was changing things up it retained and evolved the already established gameplay from the originals which was further tweaked as the games went on. Resident Evil's roots aren't defined by any one thing. Survival Horror definitely plays a big part but I'm a Resident Evil fan. If all I wanted was survival horror, then I have plenty of other options. We shouldn't have to sacrifice one aspect for another which is no different than the situation we've been in since 2005. I'm way more excited for Resident Evil: Vendetta.

Last edited:

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
I think RE7 should still have tank controls, no matter what the comera is. I've played every RE game with tank controls with the exception of Re6 and Re: Revelations 2.

I wouldn't have a problem withthe 1st person view if it were like that. It also has to play like classic RE survival horror. Zombies, dogs, genetic mutants, item boxes. Seriously, they just remade Re1 and Re0, classic Re gameplay should be fresh in their minds, right? So far, the only connection to Re this game has is the picture of an Umbrella Hellicopter.

It drives me crazy, cause I feel after a few steps back with Re5(Kinda) and 6, they leaped forward with Revelations. It gave me hope for the series again. I was scared while playing Revelations. Then they go mess it up again. They have a known, working formula, but they refuse to use it.

ToxicWolf1132

Super High School Level Despair
My issue is that, like everyone else has said, it's not a resident evil game. When I play RE, I play because of the characters and the corny, over the top stories, and the action. This game seems like it's trying too hard to be scary, with the characters being more serious. And don't get me wrong, I get that if they're trying to make it scarier, they're gonna have to be more serious. But I could ignore that if that was the only issue with the game. Instead it looks like a Outlast ripoff. They've promised combat will be in the game, but we have yet to actually see it. Speaking of things that have been promised but not shown, the game is called Resident Evil 7: Biohazard, but all the enemies shown so far look more like ghosts than the usual biohazards we've faced off, which worries me. Finally, my last complaint is that it doesn't seem like it ties in much with the RE universe. Sure, in the demo there's an umbrella logo, but that's about it. It feels like the team was making a completely seperate horror game when some executive came in and told them to call it Resident Evil 7. I'll wait to see the final product, but I'm not terribly optimistic about what we've been shown so far.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Except it's not returning to the series' roots. What we've seen so far of Resident Evil 7 is horror, not survival horror. The lack of "strong" characters but even more so established characters contradicts the premise and preference Shinji Mikami had for the original game. The demo for the game definitely has a great tone and is even designed like a classic Resident Evil game, but there's no danger. You don't face anybody, you're not being chased by anything, random cheap **** just happens. A guy walks passed a door and disappears, a doll falls from out of thin air, and a mannequin gets thrown in front of you by no one. You're literally just walking through the house and watching things happen. That alone has more in common with Resident Evil 6 (specifically the first 10 minutes of Leon's campaign) than Resident Evil's roots. Then of course, there's the first-person gameplay which radically changes everything. It no longer plays like a Resident Evil game. At least when RE4 was changing things up it retained and evolved the already established gameplay from the originals which was further tweaked as the games went on. Resident Evil's roots aren't defined by any one thing. Survival Horror definitely plays a big part but I'm a Resident Evil. If all I wanted was survival horror, then I have plenty of other options. We shouldn't have to sacrifice one aspect for another which is no different than the situation we've been in since 2005. I'm way more excited for Resident Evil: Vendetta.

If I recall correctly, the first person demos were meant to show off the new tone and perspective, rather than offer a preview of the actual game. Also, some of the newer gameplay videos (it was a demo being played at a Japanese game convention. I don't recall which, but it was on YouTube) show the player character being pursued by the female, so pursuit is indeed a factor.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
If I recall correctly, the first person demos were meant to show off the new tone and perspective, rather than offer a preview of the actual game. Also, some of the newer gameplay videos (it was a demo being played at a Japanese game convention. I don't recall which, but it was on YouTube) show the player character being pursued by the female, so pursuit is indeed a factor.

That doesn't change the fact that Capcom has yet to show us anything promising in terms of survival horror. As for the TGS demo, I'm still not impressed. Resident Evil was never about hide and seek nor did it ever rely on cheap flashy deaths to scare the player. Even if this ends up being the scariest game in the world, it's still not Resident Evil.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
That doesn't change the fact that Capcom has yet to show us anything promising in terms of survival horror. As for the TGS demo, I'm still not impressed. Resident Evil was never about hide and seek nor did it ever rely on cheap flashy deaths to scare the player. Even if this ends up being the scariest game in the world, it's still not Resident Evil.

They've already said that various weapons would be available. You will have the means to defend yourself.

And I'm not against a franchise changing to better itself. Modern Resident Evil can't be classified as any variation of horror.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
They've already said that various weapons would be available. You will have the means to defend yourself.

And I'm not against a franchise changing to better itself. Modern Resident Evil can't be classified as any variation of horror.

I honestly don't care what Capcom says these days, especially about this franchise because time and time again, they're full of ****. Trust me, there's nothing you can tell me about this game that I don't already know and it doesn't make me feel any better about this game as a Resident Evil fan. Being scary, having zombies, herbs, and combat doesn't make this anymore of a Resident Evil game than RE6 was. This is not what the series' roots are and it's definitely not a change for the better. It's a change for the horror but that's about it. I don't doubt this game won't be good, even RE6 was good despite what some butthurt fans would say, but it's still not Resident Evil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom