• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Recommend me Wii U and 3DS games

I bought a 3DS for Pokemon back when XY came out, but have since abandoned that series. Incidentally, that is what led me to Zelda. I randomly got A Link Between Worlds off the E-Shop simply because I wanted something to play and it looked like fun. I got a Wii U for more Zelda goodness, and have by now played all but the oldest games, which I couldn't really get into.

Looking into the E-Shop though, I can hardly find anything that really picks my interest. I don't really care for Mario and the like, and I'm not into shooters. Since I'm kind of hard pressed to find anything to sink my teeth into, I'd like to ask you guys to recommend me stuff. Anything that's like Zelda is obviously going to float my boat. I'm especially into games with the kind of underlying creepiness hidden behind a more kid friendly asthetic like you find in Psychonauts. Basically things that look like they're for kids but really aren't. I don't mind RPGs as long as they're managable, and I like a good challenge. Virtual Console stuff is alright as long as it's on the technical level of, say, Minish Cap. I'm not that into the 8 bit era.

So, any ideas? *edit* I also have Steam, so anything off that is alright aswell. Note that I haven't really kept up with gaming at all over the years, so don't be afraid of talking about the classics, because there's a good chance I haven't even played some of those.

D

Deleted member 81859

I would recomend Fantasy Life for the 3dS. It's a Level 5 RPG with tons of class options and gameplay features. It's a very pretty game, with quirky characters and a supprisingly emotional story. I put around 200 hours into it.

Also, Fire Emblem: Awakening is an amazing title and the best intro to the FE series. I have put in 600 hours and I love it to death.

Hope this helps!

Also, if you like Zelda, Okami is a beautiful game that is more or less considered an honorary Zelda. It's a love letter to Japanease myth and culture. It was for the wii, but I'm sure you can find a copy somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oooh, Fantasy Life looks like a lot of fun. I'll definitely look into that one, so thank you. :)

As for Fire Emblem, it certainly looks interesting, though I'm not sure I can get into turn based fighting again (Pokemon wore me out). I'll see about it.

Okami is the one with the wolf, isn't it? I've been meaning to check it out.

D

Deleted member 81859

Oooh, Fantasy Life looks like a lot of fun. I'll definitely look into that one, so thank you. :)

As for Fire Emblem, it certainly looks interesting, though I'm not sure I can get into turn based fighting again (Pokemon wore me out). I'll see about it.

Okami is the one with the wolf, isn't it? I've been meaning to check it out.
Fantastic! Glad I could be of assistance!

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
There's Hyrule Warriors if you can stomach button-mashing mixed with flashy animations, and Super Smash Bros. U (or 3DS) if you're into series. Chances are, you already have these though.

Otherwise, Xenoblade Chronicles X is coming out this Friday and will feature 100+ hours of gameplay alone. For all of the news leading up to it, I'd recommend perusing this thread before deciding on anything. It's a lot of information to take in.

Oh wow, so many things to reply to. I'm kind of interested in Hyrule Warriors, but seeing as Legends coming out, I decided to wait for that.

Thanks about the heads up about the DLC, I would have missed that otherwise. I've heard of Monster Hunter, but felt intimidated by its scope.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I've heard of Monster Hunter, but felt intimidated by its scope.
That's understandable. It can be really challenging for newcomers, especially considering its steep learning curve. It's the kind of game that's brutal to people who aren't prepared, but overcoming its challenges are so worth it. Nothing beats the feeling of taking down a 50 story snake that can crush a mountain to bits (because you can do that). No matter how intimidating or powerful a monster appears to be, you can still kill it. That's something I never tire of with the game.

Also, the online play with others makes each hunt even more exciting than they already are (considering it's never the same each time as it is). This is why I'm still playing after 650 hours. It might be tough to get into, but it's so much fun once you do.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
They have the Metroid Prime Trilogy on the Wii U virtual console, but you need wiimote and nunchuck. Also, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for Wii U is really good, also. But it can be difficult at the beginning. So there ya go, those two purchases will keep you entertained for a good 200 hours. Of course, there are many more Wii U and 3DS games that are amazing, though.

Linkmaster30000

Aim for the knee
Here are some things I'd suggest based on your criteria:

3DS: Fire Emblem Awakening (mentioned already, but it's a fun strategy RPG that isn't quite as turn-based as you may be thinking - great plot with some creepiness and fun characters), Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (not your typical Mario game, as it takes place in a haunted mansion and you're hunting ghosts with a vacuum; if you don't like the concept of Mario, maybe not this), Mario & Luigi: Dream Team (it's a humorous and inventive turn-based RPG; again, if you don't like Mario at all, then not this).

You can also play DS games on the 3DS, for which I'd suggest Final Fantasy III and IV, as they're both really nice remakes of classic RPGs. You can also get Dragon Quest IV, V, and VI for DS, but I haven't played any of them, so I can't rate them for you (they're supposed to be awesome, though). And then there's Chrono Trigger, which is a really awesome action/RPG. Not quite Zelda-ish, but there are some elements.

WiiU: Can't think of anything, really. You can play Wii games on it, though, so perhaps The Last Story or Xenoblade Chronicles will suit you. Of course, you'll need a Wiimote-chuck (which you might already have), but they're good games from what I've heard (I still haven't played them and am a terrible person). You also might enjoy Metroid: Other M. I know a lot of people really didn't like it, but I had a blast with it, and it's not an FPS like the Metroid Prime Trilogy (...well, except for the missiles, but let's not talk about that).

Wow, so much stuff to check out. I didn't expect to get so many recs, but I really appreciate it. I do have a Wiimote + Nunchuck by the way, so no worries about that. ;)

I'm currently busy with Fantasy Life, the first rec I got in this thread and I love it. I'm really not far into the game at all. I just talked to the little kid that's supposed to be the king after messing around in the town for a while and have to talk to the Paladin Commander next. So the real game hasn't even started yet, but I like to take my time in these games. I love the music though, and the character design is fantastic.

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
If you have friends get Mario Kart or Super Smash bros. for the Wii U. When I visited my cousins in BC, that's all we did. The PS4 collected dust in the corner while me and his friends played those two games.

Even without friends, Mario Kart is awesome. During my time at university, I would spend my days on my roommate's Wii, skipping class and unlocking every racer, kart, and track.

From a non-Wii U/3ds owner; that's my recommendation.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Forgot to mention this in my post earlier; get Legend of Legacy. It's a turn-based RPG which normally isn't my thing but it's so immersive that I don't care. You can take on the role of one of seven different characters and see the story unfold from their point of view as you map out each area and learn more about the island of Avalon. I still haven't beaten it yet but it's very fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom