• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

TPHD-Wii U Reasons To Like - Zelda: Twilight Princess

Hello- so I'm a pretty huge fan of Twilight Princess, it's always been one of my favorite of the 3D Zeldas. Though I know there's a good chunk of folks that consider it one of the weaker of the games. So I do a show going over reasons to like things that are sometimes unliked. I just uploaded Reasons To Like- Zelda: Twilight Princess.
Check it out sometime if you're interested

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
The number of people who dont like it are eclipsed by those who do. It was hugely popular and is one of the most critically acclaimed of all the games in the franchise. Considering the amount of rereleases Ocarina of Time has had, the Sales of TP still do not look shabby in comparison and after the remaster sells possibly a couple of million the sales may even be on a par with those of OOT. If you hear things about TP being a weak entry it will be from a small vocal minority.

Midna:P

Will look at you vids Twilight Princess. Sure seems to be a bad sheep to some people. But it is still one of the most succesfull games in the series being second to Ocarina so i think the haters are in a minority.

Twilight Princess has always seemed a little odd in terms of public opinion - it's a very divisive game.From my observations, people tend to look at it as the pinnacle of the Zelda games or the butt of the franchise, with little to no middle ground. Still, the popularity and critical acclaim of Twilight Princess can't be discounted. We'll where things stand after Twilight Princess HD, but I think that it might have a shot at taking back the best selling Zelda game title.

Overall, it's decent in my book, I just find the lack of overworld content and "trying to be edgy" appeal rather annoying. Honestly, the main reason I like Twilight Princess is just because of the Hero's Shade.

TP is undoubtedly one of the best and most successful entries in the franchise, if not the best and most successful.

Sure there will always be a vocal minority of people that don't like it for one reason or another (perhaps their bias in favor of what WW introduced for the franchise), but it's impossible to deny TP's success and popularity using the only two metrics that are possible - critic reviews and sales. In the same way that a movie is considered successful and popular if both critics and the box office churn out big numbers, it also applies for video games.

I have a huge disdain for "gaming journalism", and I believe that any 3D Zelda no matter the quality would have received "critical acclaim" in the mid-2000s even if it was sorely lacking in quality. But the fact that TP still holds such a lofty review average (96 on Metacritic for the GC version, 95 for the Wii version) is still indicative of how amazing it was during its era for the entire critical community, not just quite a few pro-Zelda writers (as we later see with SS and how 3D Zelda has finally started to see some cracks in its review-proof armor).

The biggest indicator of TP's appeal is definitely seen in its sales though. OoT is legendary in how it revolutionized 3D gaming and how we even thought about games that were 3D - the idea that TP just on the Wii alone almost dethroned its record is pretty admirable (granting TP the advantage of its original GC release does put it above OoT's original release). I doubt TPHD will be able to combine with the numbers to defeat OoT's total release numbers, but the fact remains that TP is more likely than not to be the only game that will even come close to OoT and its legend status.

Just another fun fact that speaks to its quality for me is that SS, after four years of Wii install base growth and heavy advertising via the series 25th anniversary, barely mustered up over half of TP's sales on the Wii is enough of a testament to TP and how good it is.

Dan

I'm sure you hear this a lot but wow wow wee wa you look damn sexy.

Yeah for me Twilight Princess is definitely my favourite entry in the franchise. One of my favourite elements in the game is its showcasing of the bond between two people. The bond between Link and Midna brings tears to my eyes every time I play the game. The soundtrack is another reason why I love the game so much, it does a perfect job at capturing emotion and atmosphere.

D

Deleted member 14134

I love the atmosphere of the world, how unlike previous colourful cheerful Zelda's it moves more towards a grimdark fantasy world without going too overboard. The characters are great, Midna is the best sidekick in a Zelda game so far and the world is absolutely beautiful. Easily my favorite Zelda game in the series and I wish they would move back towards the more mature theme and setting that Twilight Princess has.

Personally, I'd be fine with another game set in a darker and grimmer world like Twilight Princess as long as the graphics aren't critically acclaimed as super realistic, while in reality they look like brown smeared with grey.

Reactions: Dan
D

Deleted member 14134

Personally, I'd be fine with another game set in a darker and grimmer world like Twilight Princess as long as the graphics aren't critically acclaimed as super realistic, while in reality they look like brown smeared with grey.
They should still have some style to them like TP's did. I just don't think a grimdark setting would fit with wind wakers graphics lol.

They should still have some style to them like TP's did. I just don't think a grimdark setting would fit with wind wakers graphics lol.
I completely agree, but just look at the original TP's graphics. They look so slopped and smeared together. Realistic graphics are nice, but they need to have some sense of magic and beauty to them, or they'll end up looking like Fallout 3. I think Zelda U is the perfect example of this; it's decently realistic, yet it also has it's own sense of floaty, wonderful style that, dare I say, is easily on par with Wind Waker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom