• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Real Legit Animated Zelda Movie

amaterasu

Writer
If Zelda is EVER made into a movie, it NEEDS to be live-action. just look at how the Zelda Animated Cartoon Series turned out. I've seen a fanmade idea for a Zelda Movie, and they made the ears stick out way too much. AND THEY PUT A FLOWER IN SARIA'S HAIR. I'm sorry, but WTH. Ruto looked good in the underwater scene, but I'd like to see them make a Goron.

So basically, Zelda Movie = BAD IDEA. Unless it was BROUGHT TO YOU BY NINTENDO. then it would HAVE to be good. Twilight Princess would be the best choice. Who'd wanna see a movie called Ocarina of Time if they didn't know where the idea came from?

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
Am I the only one who thinks Zelda just wouldn't translate well into a movie? I mean, the expirience basically is:

-Explore the overworld freely.
-Discover new places.
-Explore the dungeons.
-Fight monsters.
-Solve puzzles.

I see those traits, along with the somewhat whimsical feel of adventure the series gives sometimes and the fact that the protagonist doesn't have much of a personality of his own, just make the formula something that only works as a game. Not a book (it would need to be less sparse) or a movie (hard to capture feel). Also, the whole expirience would make for one of the longest movies ever, and for a weird feeling book. But that's just how I feel.

I mean, movie-based games have a reputation of being little more than cas-ins most of the time, just like videogame-based movies have a reputation for the same thing, being chesp cash-ins that they made to take the fan's money. Don't they?

I just don't think Zelda could work as anything other than a game. It was made to work like that. No matter who makes it. Just my opinion.

END OF RANT.

amaterasu

Writer
I mean, movie-based games have a reputation of being little more than cas-ins most of the time, just like videogame-based movies have a reputation for the same thing, being chesp cash-ins that they made to take the fan's money. Don't they?

END OF RANT.

EXAMPLES: Cars The Video Game (Cousin owns it)
Finding Nemo for the Gameboy (I owned it)
Sharktale for Gameboy (Owned it)
the list just goes on and on.

I am not sure why so many people want a movie.
The things that make Zelda great don't really translate into a movie. All it would be is another generic fantasy film but with Zelda characters. That doesn't sound all that great to me tbh.
Star Wars translating into games is completely different. The appeal and dynamics of what makes that series special is a lot different than Zelda. I just don't think it would work and to be honest I hope they never do it. Zelda is made to be a video game and should stay as such. Just my opinion of course.

Garo

Boy Wonder
Pixar is very child-oriented. Up and Wall-E are totally family movies. And I didn't say Dreamworks was. I said I just didn't think they could pull it off.

Perhaps child-friendly, but I definitely think that the things that made Up and Wall-E such wonderful films are things that children don't have the patience for (the long silent film portion of Wall-E) or are simply not entertained by (the emotional symbolism of the majority of Carl's house in Up). They make films that are perfectly appropriate for kids, but I would hardly say that they make their films with kids in mind as the dominant audience. Especially not with their Oscar cred as of late.

But on topic: I actually was listening to some orchestrated Ocarina of Time music the other day, and I realized how wonderfully cinematic the games already are. They don't need a movie. They are wonderful works of art as games. A film would be redundant.

I was thinking about his earlier. I recently watched The Last Airbender, and it was a really cheesy movie. That reminded me of the Zelda animated series. It would be great... if it is not cheesy. How to do this is, hire a professional script writer so there are no cheesy lines, and hire some experienced actors. Do you know how Disney's A Christmas Carol was made? That could be used for Zelda. The outfits could be computer animated, and the characters can be altered however.

It would be a great movie... if done right.

for those of you who don't know how A Christmas Carol was made, well, it's hard to explain, you would need to look it up on youtube. I could not find anything.

GustJar88

Links Secret Crush
In my mind, it doesnt matter who makes it. The history of game to movie isnt very good. I would hate to the see the series have no justice brought to it by some studio ruining it for profit.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
If Zelda is EVER made into a movie, it NEEDS to be live-action. just look at how the Zelda Animated Cartoon Series turned out. I've seen a fanmade idea for a Zelda Movie, and they made the ears stick out way too much. AND THEY PUT A FLOWER IN SARIA'S HAIR. I'm sorry, but WTH. Ruto looked good in the underwater scene, but I'd like to see them make a Goron.

So basically, Zelda Movie = BAD IDEA. Unless it was BROUGHT TO YOU BY NINTENDO. then it would HAVE to be good. Twilight Princess would be the best choice. Who'd wanna see a movie called Ocarina of Time if they didn't know where the idea came from?

Dude, live action would be terrible. Every time I've seen some kind of cosplay, the people look either nothing like the characters or look terrible. CG is the only thing that can mimick the Zelda look and feel, anyway. It's far too much of a fantasy world to use live action. And the cartoon has no merit. That was a cheesy, rushed piece of crap, just like the CD-i's. A big movie company wouldn't ruin something like Zelda, especially if Nintendo were to supervise it. You have no faith. Prince of Persia was awesome, wasn't it? That was a game. The Silent Hill movies were really good. Those were games. You act like it's impossible for a game to be made into a movie and be good. That is not true.

GustJar88

Links Secret Crush
Dude, live action would be terrible. Every time I've seen some kind of cosplay, the people look either nothing like the characters or look terrible. CG is the only thing that can mimick the Zelda look and feel, anyway. It's far too much of a fantasy world to use live action. And the cartoon has no merit. That was a cheesy, rushed piece of crap, just like the CD-i's. A big movie company wouldn't ruin something like Zelda, especially if Nintendo were to supervise it. You have no faith. Prince of Persia was awesome, wasn't it? That was a game. The Silent Hill movies were really good. Those were games. You act like it's impossible for a game to be made into a movie and be good. That is not true.

It's not that it's impossible, (and I think Prince of Persia was awful lol Silent Hill was alright) But most of the time when they turn a game series into a film or films, they ruin it. I will agree that live action would be awful as its true when you mentioned the cosplaying... I have yet to see anything that made me go WOW! :( I think it would just come down to what company is making it, if its live or CG, who is the actors and if they will keep true to the look, feel and story or just stray away and end up with 120 mins of complete crap.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
It's not that it's impossible, (and I think Prince of Persia was awful lol Silent Hill was alright) But most of the time when they turn a game series into a film or films, they ruin it. I will agree that live action would be awful as its true when you mentioned the cosplaying... I have yet to see anything that made me go WOW! :( I think it would just come down to what company is making it, if its live or CG, who is the actors and if they will keep true to the look, feel and story or just stray away and end up with 120 mins of complete crap.

I understand your concerns completely, as they are very legit. But this is Zelda we're talking, here. It'd be done right. The mangas were, weren't they?

GustJar88

Links Secret Crush
Gahhh.... you got me there....I HIGHLY adore the manga for The Minish Cap.
It's just...game to movie past gives me the willies...:( I have a nagging feeling they would ruin it...

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Gahhh.... you got me there....I HIGHLY adore the manga for The Minish Cap.
It's just...game to movie past gives me the willies...:( I have a nagging feeling they would ruin it...

Yeah, they are a bit different. It definitely would have to be done perfectly, which is why I say based off of a game. Like Twilight Princess. I mean, it's already cinematic as it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom