• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rate the Last Game That You Played

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Resident Evil 4 HD (Professional) - If I had to describe Resident Evil 4 in one word, it would be classic. Sure, it might have destroyed a series once known for its horror by simplifying its design and focusing more attention on action as opposed to horror. But it's quite ironic considering it was this very game that ensured the relevance of the Resident Evil name for years to come. Despite Resident Evil 4's flaws as a survival horror game, it still stands tall as one of the greatest games ever created and with good reason. Resident Evil 4 set a standard for video games in the next generation. Games like Gears of War, Dead Space, Batman Arkham Asylum, and Tomb Raider. But even a great impact like that isn't without backlash. By abandoning its roots, Resident Evil 4 left a sour taste in the mouths of survival horror fans, a struggling genre because of this game. In the long run, I guess you can say it was a fair trade. The Resident Evil 4 we know today paved the way for many successful modern games, and itself, was a memorable experience from start to finish. Resident Evil 4 had its horrific moments, but ultimately sticks with us after nearly a decade because of its memorable characters, locations, quips, enemies, and boss fights. It's quite rare for a video game to leave such an impact on both the industry and gamers for as long as Resident Evil 4 has. Resident Evil 4's legacy might have been polarizing, but the positives greatly outweigh the negatives in this case. Even after all these years, I give Resident Evil 4 a 9.5/10.

Resident Evil: Revelations HD - In an attempt to take Resident Evil back to its roots, Revelations puts Jill Valentine inside a mysterious cruise ship reminiscent of the Spencer Mansion. By the second chapter, the game feels very nostalgic of the original Resident Evil but is far from the series' roots. The game is slower paced and leaves room for self-exploration, but often cuts off into different more action based segments that are not as well thought out as even the most action oriented game in the series. These segments usually consist of running back and forth shooting a horde of dogs or Hunters. It really kills the mood of the game, and a clear indication that Capcom is afraid to fully embrace the survival horror aspect of the franchise.

Despite its flaws, Revelations does have its moments such as the mutated Rachel who stalks you throughout the game and the infamous comms officer who constantly keeps you on your toes. The music, while not used as a scare tactic this time around, really does a great job of setting the mood, especially during the final boss. The new swimming mechanic is a breath of fresh air for the series and hopefully becomes a staple for future installments. Resident Evil: Revelations was an ambitious handheld game, and a great console port, but is overall lacking in what it's trying to accomplish. Revelations is a great game and definitely the first step in the right direction for the Resident Evil series in a long time. I give it a 8.5/10.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
A Link Between Worlds

8/10

Gameplay: Absolutely polished 2-D Zelda gameplay. I love the weapons system used, allowing me to mix up my strategy and how I go about completing the dungeons. This is a really good way of integrating nonlinearity into Zelda games. While the dungeons aren't particularly hard (kinda a letdown after ST's mind-boggling end dungeons) they are still stellarly designed. The music's also pretty darn good too.

However... where the heck are all the sidequests?! This is a big sticking point for me. There really isn't much to do outside the main quest except for looking for those squid-things and a few minigames. Where's all the world-building sidequests that Zelda's known for?!

Difficulty: Very easy. Most dungeons and bosses didn't put up much of a fight, but it was still enjoyable nonetheless.

*EDIT* OK nevermind, that was just on normal difficulty. Hero mode's kinda kicking my butt right now...

Story: Before the ending, it was a typical old-school Zelda game. Some guy's trying to take over the world; save the sages, get the Triforce of Courage, and curbstomp him until he blows up. But the ending really puts a bad taste in my mouth about the whole experience. Jeez, didn't think a Zelda game could do that, but here we are.

Last edited:

Salem

SICK
Zelda ALBW 9.99999999999/10

Seriously though, the only things I dislike about it are the easy bosses(hero mode might fix it;)) and the save system.

Ty the Tasmanian Tiger 1. This game's still fun to me, but it really didn't age all that well. The controls are slippery and the graphics are very dated. Again, I like the game, but even with that said, the gameplay's a mess sometimes. Still better than the sequels, though.

I give it a 6/10. Not a perfect game, but still fun nonetheless.

Fallout 3, for the first time! I wish I didn't fly through the story missions, but the world was just amazing. From Little Lamplight, to Tranquility Lane, this game just blew me away. (9.5/10)

E

Evenstar

About a week ago I finally beat The Legend of Zelda on NES. That game is incredibly fun and challenging. I'll gladly give it a 9/10. It was really hard though, it'll probably take me a few decades to muster the courage and play the Second Quest.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
A Link Between Worlds.

Puzzles: 8/10

Combat: 6/10

Story: 7/10

Graphics: 8/10

Music: 8/10

Overall: 8/10

Rare Addict

Site Staff
I just finished my second run through A Link Between Worlds last night. It's definitely still deserving of a 9/10, as the game has so much going for it. More than a retro throwback for the sake of a retro throwback, ALBW brings more than a handful of new elements to the series. The impact and the creativity of the painting mechanic, especially, was not fully appreciated until I experienced it for myself.

Uncharted 2: 10/10
It is rare that I can honestly call a game perfect, but Uncharted 2 manages to do that and then some. Not only did the game have an amazing single player story with intense, fluid action, but the game also goes the extra mile and offers up a fun and addicting multiplayer mode, which I have spent countless hours playing. Definitely the best game I played all year (with Metal Gear Solid 3 at a close second). Now let's just see if The Last of Us can top it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom