• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rate the Last Game That You Played

Thanks! @Spirit Keep me posted :cool:

Also, i dont know if this is exclusive to the first dungeon but save points and autosaves ****ing suck. I got murdered because there is zero respite in the dungeon I was in and the choice upon death is go back to autosave or go back to last manual save both knocked me back ages.

This was after an hour of grinding too. Be very careful in dungeons. They are no fun.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Also, i dont know if this is exclusive to the first dungeon but save points and autosaves ****ing suck. I got murdered because there is zero respite in the dungeon I was in and the choice upon death is go back to autosave or go back to last manual save both knocked me back ages.

This was after an hour of grinding too. Be very careful in dungeons. They are no fun.
Xenoblade 2 just respawns you to the last landmark visited. Death has no consequences and you wouldn't lose any progress from grinding or what-have-you. Even if there is a level 80 Unique Monster romping around the beginning area, the most you'll lose is 30 seconds. Dungeons amount to even less time.

Xenoblade 2 just respawns you to the last landmark visited. Death has no consequences and you wouldn't lose any progress from grinding or what-have-you. Even if there is a level 80 Unique Monster romping around the beginning area, the most you'll lose is 30 seconds. Dungeons amount to even less time.

Shush.

I like XCX let that be enough.

Quin

Disaster Master
But that's just it. I feel more like a tourist in a pretty country than I do a reborn god trying to save the world...
I think thats the opposite result of what a silent protagonist should achieve. Try putting more importance on what YOU feel about a certain event instead of what you want to see the main character feel.

Anyway, Spider-man. Solid 7,6/10

Cfrock

Keep it strong
A Hat in Time

Kawaii uguu~ ^_^

I had an absolute blast with this game. It's so funny, so fun, so lovely, and so wholesome (except for the nooses in the woods that talk about how much they can't wait to hang you, those are ****ed up). Playing through this has been an utter delight from start to finish. Wears its inspiration on its sleeve (I defy anyone to not think about Mario Sunshine, Galaxy, Banjo-Kazooie, or just about any collectathon ever while playing this) but unlike something like Yooka-Laylee it isn't derivative of any of them and stands as its own creation rather than a twenty-years-too-late knock off. I'm throwing shade here and it's really not in the spirit of Hat Girl. She'd want me to be nice, like everything in this game.

I think the only way to not enjoy this game would be if you just really don't like platformers. If you do like them then I'd say give this a look in if you can. It's short, sweet, satisfying, and s-definitely worth playing.

Also, you ever just play animal adventure games on your Nontadnu GameDodecagon?

vyYZyKk.jpg

One last thing, can we appreciate how this Mafia has a dream and wants to live it? We could all take inspiration from such a man.

rmX7VIg.jpg

A Hat in Time

Kawaii uguu~ ^_^

I had an absolute blast with this game. It's so funny, so fun, so lovely, and so wholesome (except for the nooses in the woods that talk about how much they can't wait to hang you, those are ****ed up). Playing through this has been an utter delight from start to finish. Wears its inspiration on its sleeve (I defy anyone to not think about Mario Sunshine, Galaxy, Banjo-Kazooie, or just about any collectathon ever while playing this) but unlike something like Yooka-Laylee it isn't derivative of any of them and stands as its own creation rather than a twenty-years-too-late knock off. I'm throwing shade here and it's really not in the spirit of Hat Girl. She'd want me to be nice, like everything in this game.

I think the only way to not enjoy this game would be if you just really don't like platformers. If you do like them then I'd say give this a look in if you can. It's short, sweet, satisfying, and s-definitely worth playing.

Also, you ever just play animal adventure games on your Nontadnu GameDodecagon?

vyYZyKk.jpg

One last thing, can we appreciate how this Mafia has a dream and wants to live it? We could all take inspiration from such a man.

rmX7VIg.jpg

I dunno what it is about this game, I'm sure it's good. A lot of people who i respect the opinions of all say it's good.

But there's something about it that doesn't look finished to me. Like it's still in way early access or something. It doesn't look right and it just doesnt look polished.

Im very curious as to how much theyre selling it for.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
But there's something about it that doesn't look finished to me.
I know what you mean, I got the same vibe from it whenever I saw screenshots and stuff. I attributed it to some of the colours looking flat, almost like the texture work hadn't been finished yet or something.
It looks better when you've got it running, and the difference is remarkable when it's raining (Hat Girl puts on a little raincoat if it's wet outside ^_^). There are some places that really look a lot like The Wind Waker (and I'm not just saying that to try and convince you to give it a go :P), particularly some splashing water effects later on in the game.

God, I should have mentioned the soundtrack before, too. It proper put me in the frame of mind of playing Pokémon Pearl back in 2007 (yikes) with how peaceful some of the tracks are. Like you could just sit wrapped in them and feel like the world was a perfect place for a few minutes.

Hyper Light Drifter

The game that sounds like a racing game but is actually a 2D Zelda clone with a lot more going for it than other games of its ilk.

Despite what people say HLD is NOT a hard game, you'll die a few times, but the only difficulty i found was the last dungeon and boss which is just a murder gauntlet. Nothing a little zen couldn't fix though.

The game also looks decieving. You'd think flitting about with the dash would make the Drifter feel agile but that isn't how he feels at all.

His dash feels more like a Dark Souls dodge and makes him feel a little clunky.
It can be hard to tell what killed you in crowded rooms with so many moving pixels and sometimes you'll snag on scenery and be murdered.

This didnt happen too often though.

The main game isn't that long either. Anyone who tells you the story campaign takes 6-8 hours is lying. I did it in under 4. There are things i need to go back for and the Switch exclusive dungeon is something i havent found but they don't add to the story.

A solid game with a wonderful Blade Runner style soundtrack that looks like Zelda got mushed up with Neon Genesis Evangelion with some enjoyable combat for the most part.

7.5/10

Last edited:

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective

I've been interested in this for a long time because it's a bit of a passion project from the dude behind the Ace Attorney games, which I really like, they're cool, go play them. Ghost Trick is also often rated as one of the best DS games ever of all time and people gush about it whenever it's brought up.

You're a ghost and you solve puzzles by subtly manipulating objects in the environment with the goal of saving peoples' lives. There's a big mystery which gets more mysterious as the game goes on, yadda yadda. It's kind of like a more proactive Ace Attorney. The bulk of the game is reading. In Ace Attorney, the reading is interrupted by moments when you have to drawn logical connections and press the correct button to make the story continue. The 'gameplay' is mostly you figuring things out in your brain. In Ghost Trick, you have to move your ghost bubble around and move the right objects at the right time in the right order, sometimes having to get things wrong so that you can understand how to get them right. It's more active than Ace Attorney and I think some people might find that more engaging.

I mean, it's cool a game, sure. I enjoyed it a fair bit. It has a lot of the quirky charm of Ace Attorney, very similar style of humour and approach to narrative depth (that is to say, overwrought melodrama that masquerades as pathos), and it's set in a sort of cartoon real world like Ace Attorney. What I mean by that is the game seems set in the real world but only when that isn't an inconvenience to the game's logic, or clashes with some stylistic goal. Every single phone in this 'real world' is a rotary phone, for example, because they wanted that aesthetic. But is it as amazing as people say?

No. It's a good game, well worth playing if you like Ace Attorney, but it doesn't deserve the sheer level of acclaim it has. Call me biased, but Ghost Trick suffers from a lot of the story-telling issues that crop up in a wealth of Japanese games. A lot of details are handwaved or flat out ignored if they would logically create problems for the story. Characters are defined almost entirely by superficial traits like speech patterns and modes of movement. Character motivations often don't make sense at certain times to enable the plot to continue, or change on a dime to imply some developmental shift or facilitate the next bit of plot without justification. There's an emphasis on mystery and twists which results in the story making no overall sense and forfeiting any hope at depth just for a few moments of either shock or surprise. And there's a huge amount of redundancy, with characters repeating themselves all the time, or dialogue that clearly implies something immediately being followed up with an exact explanation of the thing anyone above the age of seven would have already understood.

I make no secret of my general disdain for Japanese story-telling. Not all of it is bad, but there are trends and forms and tropes that the Japanese use, at the very least, more than anyone else that make for terribly told stories. Ghost Trick is rife with them and it prevents this game being anything more than a fun, quirky, and certainly unique little puzzle/visual novel/thingy. People who praise this game to high Heaven are, bluntly, weebs blinded by the fact that it's from Japan.

It's good, don't get me wrong, well worth your time, but it's nothing more than a fun weekend to file away under "Nice times I had not thinking about how hollow my life is."

Give it a go if you can find it anywhere. I suspect many of the issues I had with it won't be shared by many of you on this here forum.

Mido

Version 1
Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective

I've been interested in this for a long time because it's a bit of a passion project from the dude behind the Ace Attorney games, which I really like, they're cool, go play them. Ghost Trick is also often rated as one of the best DS games ever of all time and people gush about it whenever it's brought up.

This was an interesting read, especially because like yourself, I've heard very similar things about Ghost Trick. I've made it no secret over the past year around these parts that I adore Ace Attorney, so seeing that Shu Takumi branched out to create an intriguing project like the game in question is awesome. That being said, I find your review refreshing amid the acclaim mainly because I think my expectations as a result have become more realistic for Ghost Trick. One of these days, I will likely play it, but not before finishing Professor Layton and the Curious Village, which I just purchased last month!

Cfrock

Keep it strong
As I said above, I would definitely say give Ghost Trick a go. Despite having some negative things to say I did enjoy the game, and largely for many of the things I liked so much about Ace Attorney. Also, Professor Layton is great, as well, I hope you enjoy it enough to play the rest, too. Even my mum got into Professor Layton and she still thinks everything is "a Nintendobox".

Yakuza Kiwami 2

Going off the length of the first one I'm assuming i'm about half way through this one and god damn this series is good.

I wont give it a score yet but i highly recommend this series to anyone interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom