• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rate the Last Game That You Played

Megaman X Legacy Collection 1 - 9/10.

Reliving my childhood with the soundtracks and game play was really cool. Would have been nice to have the rewind feature just in case though. All of the artwork, medals, and products in the gallery is awesome as well. The X Challenge is definitely fun.

This will be the third time i've played the first X game (Snes, WiiU VC and now Switch) and i still cant god damn do Sigma's stages.

Ninja

Well well well
This will be the third time i've played the first X game (Snes, WiiU VC and now Switch) and i still cant god damn do Sigma's stages.

The difficulty is definitely harder than I remember lol. No shame in Rookie mode for sure! The spider is the worst boss fight.

The difficulty is definitely harder than I remember lol. No shame in Rookie mode for sure! The spider is the worst boss fight.

Yeah. I hate that damn thing. I hate the room before it when youre having to wall jump from side to side up a vertical shaft and if you slip a pixel down the screen the enemies all sodding respawn and theyre annoying as hell.

I got through the first stage and then the second and had to stop. I didnt realise it was like a gauntlet and wasnt saving and i have to do it all again.

Screw it for now.

Ninja

Well well well
Yeah. I hate that damn thing. I hate the room before it when youre having to wall jump from side to side up a vertical shaft and if you slip a pixel down the screen the enemies all sodding respawn and theyre annoying as hell.

I got through the first stage and then the second and had to stop. I didnt realise it was like a gauntlet and wasnt saving and i have to do it all again.

Screw it for now.

Yes, another anxiety inducing part of the levels are those walls that close in on ypi, one false move and it's game over.

Yakuza Kiwami

I actually played this a few months ago but i've found myself today going back through it and i'm having so much fun.

It was a little difficult because of my cultural arrogance to put names to faces and remember which families and clans everyone belonged to for the story to make sense.
But now that i'm more familiar with the world and characters my second playthrough is nothing but straight up enjoyment.

This game is melodramatic as all hell but the characters are endearing and the world believable so there's no choice but to get sucked in to the emotional strife and gang warfare.

There's a great balance here too and God of War 2018 needs to listen up and take notes; you can be serious and tell an emotionally resonant story without having the narrative eat the gameplay.

Yakuza pulled me in and its cutscenes and story are tense and dramatic and emotional. People die, people regret and make poor decisions that haunt them. People struggle to survive by any means necessary in the world they were born into. There is love... but the gameplay is gamey as all hell and is so much fun as a result and it never detracts from the narrative or even dares to compliment it.

There's nothing quite like filling up your rage in a fight and crushing someone's skull in a car door and then breaking their body in two over the nearest metal railing after they threatened your friend. Dont mess.

Such a great game here guys. Full of content and post game modes.

The whole series is being remade (minus 0 and 6 - the two latest entries) and are releasing every six months on ps4. Grab them. Your new favourite video game series is here and its potential has finally been fully realised.

10/10

toonlink

Most Active Inactive User
Blazblue Cross Tag -- I'm not super into fighting games like my younger brother, but I'm fairly familiar with how they work. As a casual spectator/player, it's a really fun anime fighter. It's got a wide set of characters and easy to play. It's an easy 8/10 fighting game, up there with Skullgirls as one of my fav fighting games.

Blazblue Cross Tag -- I'm not super into fighting games like my younger brother, but I'm fairly familiar with how they work. As a casual spectator/player, it's a really fun anime fighter. It's got a wide set of characters and easy to play. It's an easy 8/10 fighting game, up there with Skullgirls as one of my fav fighting games.

I want this because of the Under Night reps. Under Night is a great fighter too.

What is the story mode like?

toonlink

Most Active Inactive User
I want this because of the Under Night reps. Under Night is a great fighter too.

What is the story mode like?

The Under Night Characters are relatively the same as they were in their base game, tweaked a bit to fit Blazblue. Characters with giant attacks like Gordeau and Waldstein have had their hitboxes lessened. As for the story, I can't say definitively since I've only completed the Persona 4 Arena story, but I'm doing the Under Night story right now and it's a lot of characters crossing over from other series and referencing things from previous games. It's like mostly "What if (Character X) met (Character Y)?"

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Dishonored 2: Death of the Outsider

Just finished it a little while ago and I loved it. Dishonored is one of my all time favourite franchises. It's so good. Rich, vivid world, great characters, and most importantly incredibly deep gameplay. They keep adding new powers and equipment with each installment and the imagination and variety on display is always a thrill. Particular favourites from this DLC are Semblence, which lets you steal someone's face and masquerade as them, and hook mines, which are just delightful. The first time I saw a guard chanse me only to be yanked off his feet and slammed into a roof by this little gizmo was a treasure. I can't wait to go through it again (and again and again and again and again and...)

Sadly, this high comes with the low of finding out that Arkane are putting the franchise on hold after poor sales. It hurts, it really does. Dishonored is one of the best properties in gaming with a creative team who excel at their work. I dearly hope that a Dishonored 3 arrives at some point, but it won't be any time soon it seems.

Why does everything I love leave me?

Ninja

Well well well
Megaman X Legacy Collection 2 - 7/10.

Being able to play the second set was as equally fun as it was frustrating.
  • X5 was pretty decent, I love the OST and the fact that you can play as both X and Zero for the first time, however the game had some serious flaws, such as heart tanks not being universal, and tons of backtracking when you're trying to 100% the game.
  • X6 was average. The worst part about the game is the incredibly frustrating and poorly designed stages. The bosses themselves were pretty easy to defeat. **** the donut miniboss.
  • X7 is a complete disaster. It took what Legends did for the series and made it worse. The voice acting is subpar and the general feel of the game felt rushed. The bosses felt rushed and poorly designed as well.
  • X8 was a nice return to form for the series. 3D gameplay was done away with, and the graphics were fantastic. The stages were challenging enough, and some of the bosses were fun to fight against. I felt that the characters were a tad too lanky. Zero needs his beautiful hair back and not a yellow pool noodle.
  • X Challenge is largely unchanged from legacy collection 1, however it brought up the score a bit since it brings something new to the table.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Played this for the first time over the past two days. I loved it. It's been a long time since I last played an exploration-based game (one I enjoyed at least, cough BotW) and this one has everything I want from the genre: great atmosphere, satisfying combat, and rewards that feel worth finding. This game has so many weapons and almost all of them are unique in some way. Even the apparently worthless weapons can have very helpful, albeit highly specific, uses. Like the rusty sword you find very early on. It's weaker than the basic short sword and Alucard sometimes doesn't even swing it, but if you hit the Doppleganger boss with it, it curses him and stops him attacking you. I found that out when I was panicking, close to death, and equipped the rusty sword instead of a turkey I was going to eat.

I love how everything either explodes, burst into a fountain of blood, or is consumed by a black hole when it dies. I love how you are always changing your equipment to either suit a given situation or because you keep finding more powerful gear well into the late game. I love how quickly you can become powerful and yet still have enemies that will provide a challenge all the way through the game. I love the music and the artwork which still holds up today with some exceptionally creepy backgrounds. I love that one of the bosses was a giant ball of skinless corpses, and another was a giant rotting corpse dripping maggots and surrounded by giant flies. I love holy water because it absolutely annihilates everything it touches. I love how hammy the voice acting is. I love how the game's story and ending is based on how much exploring you do and how thorough you are.

I can see myself getting into Castlevania as a franchise. I've read a little of the canon and I'm already confused as hell, so Japan is certainly taking a traditional approach here. The third game is a prequel to the first two, the fourth is a remake of the first, the fifth has a remake which is the same but very different and also takes place in a separate universe, and I've ignored seven games because what many would consider the sixth 'main' game was actually the fifteenth to be released and I have no clue how those other ones factor in.

But yeah, good game. Would recommend.

This one is an early impressions for @Castle

Dragon Quest XI

I'm five hours in and I know that is nothing for an RPG, especially DQ, but they feel as if they've been a long five hours.

I love looking at the game, it is damn gorgeous and the world is pretty and constantly surprising you with how much bigger it keeps getting and how grand everything is. When you feel like you've seen the crown jewel city in the game, you go to the next city and are blown away all over again.

The combat is fine too. No stupid gimmicks, just traditional turn based combat with everything you've come to expect.
The music is nice too and i really like the use of the old school midi sound effects from the first games in the series.

My problem is though.... it just isn't very compelling. Big things happen early on which should resonate on a emotional level but they dont. The tone is too upbeat for the terrible things that happen to hit with the weight that they should.

Wind Waker gets this down but Dragon Quest XI just doesnt. Aside from the tone getting in the way of the drama the main character serves more as a brick wall than an avatar.

The main character is mute. He's Link. He does what he is told all the time and never gives an opinion or emotes at all.

"Hey, you're adopted." *blank*
"Your village burned down." *blank*
"You're a god, Harry!" *blank*

Come on dude, I won't care if you don't.

No doubt things will get better and more interesting. The party members I have are all well written so far and their voice acting is on point. Even side characters put in some good performances and they're not too one dimensional either.

The world has wonder and i'm gonna enjoy seeing what's still left to see.

But that's just it. I feel more like a tourist in a pretty country than I do a reborn god trying to save the world...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom